AVS Forum banner

Self Powered Sub Solutions and HT solutions?

1K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  emdre 
#1 · (Edited)
hey AVS. I recently bought a sony muteki 7.2 HT system for 850$ (i got 300 off) and although im impressed (as i went from a 7 year old 2.2 sound system [which was top of the line at the time] to this) im already wanting something with more grunt. I personally use it for Movies, gaming but i predominately use it for loud party music. Now although the bass is room trembling it sort of fades out below 40hz. Ive been looking around and i came across the HSU VTF-15h and considered getting 2 for $1709. But then i thought 'if im going to spend that much then i might aswell get 2 HSU ULS-15's for $2049'. But then i thought i might aswell get the whole 7.2.1 HSU Ultimate HT Package for $3529. Now since im planning on spending this much for a HTS i wanted to get some advice. Now i would like for the system to be insanely loud but the main thing im concerned about is the subwoofers.
Now at max i would spend 5000$ in total for the sound system and i was wondering if the HSU system is a good choice (i would really like to know how the subs perform). Now the size of the system doesnt matter but would like the subwoofers to be farely large. Ill be using this system predominately in my room which is about 6m by 10m and ill occasionally be using it for outdoor parties. My listening habits consist of audio from AAA movies and surround gaming but it predominately comes from music. I mainly listen to rap and hard-ish techno, both of those genres include alot of low range bass (below the 40hz cut off line of my current subs). Im looking for a system (i dont mind if it consists of several different manufactures products or if its a packaged system) that can reach around 115-130db without a significant decline in audio quality (i would like the audio quality to be crystal clear) that has 2 large subwoofers that don't lose much db up until around 15hz that can shake my room, my house and my neighbours house.
So do you think i should stick with the HSU 7.2.1 Ultimate HTS or do you guys recommend building my own system from different products, or perhaps there is a better system for under $5000 that i should buy?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry for the lack of technical terms. Im far from an audiophile. Now before you guys say that this thread is not ment to be on this section of the forum i just want you all to know that the MAIN thing i care about is the subwoofers. Theres a feeling of excitement coupled with adrenaline that i get from being shoken up by a good subwoofer. Hence why i wanted to try and get some advice from real people that have a passion for this (instead of being lured into a sale by a salesperson) before i go and spend up to 5 grand on a HTS. I dont mind if you only have recommendations for a subwoofer as i still have 2 months before i buy the sub/HTS but im not positive if i want to buy a whole new HTS

#3 ·
With 8-foot (2.44 M) high ceilings that puts your volume at just over 5,000 cu. ft. (141 cu. M). That is considered at the edge of an "extreme" room size. There are plenty of great subs that will fill this volume (but not necessarily your output requirements) since you are going dual subwoofers, but your volume size indicates going with a ported design might be best (unless you go with Seaton or JTR). Along with Hsu, I'd also look at subs from PSA, Reaction Audio, Rythmik Audio and SVS. You might also look at Funk Audio.

#4 ·
For the low end, the Hsu system will kill the Sony setup, no doubt about that. I would go with a dual VTF15h system. It will actually have more low end output than the Ultimate package, unless you are in a small room which can give a boost the the low end output of sealed subs. However, as far as 115 dB goes, that will be a stretch for the Hsu system to reach, and no way it is going to be hitting 130 dB. You might look into some Behringer B215XL speakers for that. However, I am not sure if you realize what 130 dB is, that is extremely loud. 130 dB gets into the immediate hearing damage territory, as in less than 1 second of exposure can be enough to start permanent hearing damage. I would just aim for 115 dB, which is THX Reference levels for bass anyway. For Hsu, you might think about getting a HC-1 front stage if you like it loud, and use the HC-1s vertically. Klipsch is also a good brand for maintaining composure at blazing loud volumes. However, neither Hsu or Klipsch speakers will get nearly as loud as those Behringers, but they look a lot nicer than the Behringers.

#6 ·
I changed the room that im going to put my HTS in and the room specs are now 4m by 7m. The main reason that inspired to upgrade was the lack of low frequency bass i was getting from my current setup so i dont think that the Behringer's will be for me (im looking for something that can reach close to 15hz with little db loss). Your right though, 130db is a bit much. Do you know how the HSU's perform at extreme volume levels?

#5 ·
Might want to take a look a chane home theater system with 7 of their theater speakers and a pair of their ported subs. The speakers will play much louder than the HSUs will.

You could also look at reaction audio and their new CX10 speakers and a pair of their pv15x ported subs.

#7 ·
Ok so im thinking of getting 2 PSA XV30Fse and wiring them up with the HSU speaker Package (minus the subs) with the HSU MBM-12 MK2 Mid-Bass Module. Does anyone have any firsthand experiences with the PSA subs? Also do you think the mid bass module will make a difference? Lastly does anyone know if the HSU speakers match what im looking for or if their is anything better? Sorry for the amount of questions... Im still new to this ****

#8 ·
I do not think it is worth the money for the MBM. Dual XV30se would give you 132db worth of bass from 40-125hz. From 16-30hz you would probably get 115-120db. So that setup should have plenty of output. However If you are going to buy the HSU speakers why not buy the subs too and get the discount? Aside from that I would not purchase the HSU speakers with your output goals in mind. You need a Ultra High Efficient cinema speaker from JTR, Chane, Seaton, or the CX10 from Reaction Audio.

I would sugggest scracthing your entire plan and spend a bit more time researching.

#11 ·
For a tad less than the XV30, you could get a Rythmik FV15Hp which basically outperforms it and also offers a lot more features. It is also much nicer looking. Don't pay too much attention to PSA's comparison charts, the method by which they are comparing those subs is slanted. As for the Hsu speakers, they can get loud, no doubt. I have compared them with with other bookshelf speakers of the same caliber, and I think they handled louder volumes better. However, if you are willing to spend more, of course you can get something that can hit even harder. You might take a look at Klipsch RB-81s for bookshelf speakers that will behave at blazing loud levels. They are about $425 each though. As had been mentioned before, the Reaction CX-10s, at $600 each, promise even higher levels of performance. For something less expensive, you might look at some Ascend CMT-340s, $300 each. Like I said before about the Hsu speakers, if you intend to crank them, I would go for a HC-1 front stage rather than HB-1s.

I doubt very much that dual XV30s would reach 130 dB. By the way, if you want a fair comparison between the aforementioned subs, these have been measured by a reliable third party: measurements for the VTF15h, PSA XV30, Rythmik FV15HP. Like was mentioned, I would skip the MBM-12 unless you have a dip in the frequencies from 50 Hz to 100 Hz. Wait until you have your system set up and measured to see if that's the case.

#14 ·
Its not the PSA charts that influenced me towards the xv30's, i just love my bass and i could get 2 dual xv30's within my price range. I was sort of guessing the HSU mid bass would make a somewhat significant difference to the impact of 'thumps' (by that i mean the chest punch), but do you not think that it would make much of a difference? I would definately get it if the PSA's had a dip. Although i want it to be loud i also want to be able to run the speakers in a 7 channel surround setup. I had a look at the speakers you suggested and although i love the look of the Klipsch's i would prefer 2 towers (just for looks mainly) for my L and R speakers. Are there any speaker packages that come with atleast 2 towers that you could recommend? Im still going to continue on with my research. I've been researching this **** for about 4 days straight, the more research i do the more possible options i find :eek: ... Im loving it though :)

#12 ·
Don't pay too much attention to shadyj's ongoing (for over a year now) anti-PSA campaign. You can find the data on many of the subs we are talking about (including PSA) on data-bass.com.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.