Stick with Yamaha's YPAO or pick up used SVS AS-EQ1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-01-2014, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Stick with Yamaha's YPAO or pick up used SVS AS-EQ1

I'm using a Yamaha RX-A2030 receiver with Yamaha's YPAO system. I'm considering purchasing an SPS-EQ1. From what I've read it seems to do much better EQ on the low end. I will probably be getting new subs soon. Leaning towards dual SVS SB-2000 subs. The system is in the living room which is part of a larger space, about 5000 cubic feet would be my guess. I listen to about 95% music, 5% HT. We're having a credenza built that will house the subwoofers. I figure sealed subs would be a better choice than ported ones if they have to live in the credenza. I'd appreciate any advice to help me with this decision, except the advice to take the subs out of the credenza. Unfortunately that's not happening.

Also I learned a little about Audyssey. I know that there's MultEQ, MultEQ XT and MultEQ XT32. I just want to verify the version that the AS-EQ1 uses.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-02-2014, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Good new and bad news, lots of sub to choose from is the good news. A space that large is better with a ported sub and most likely multiple subs for HT. You may get by with an SVS PB 13 Ultra, Rythmik FV 15, PSA XV 30, HSU 15 in. sub and some other brands. Most likely you may get close to 20 Hz with any kind of spl worth something. You will not be shaking the room.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #3 of 5 Old 09-02-2014, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post
Good new and bad news, lots of sub to choose from is the good news. A space that large is better with a ported sub and most likely multiple subs for HT. You may get by with an SVS PB 13 Ultra, Rythmik FV 15, PSA XV 30, HSU 15 in. sub and some other brands. Most likely you may get close to 20 Hz with any kind of spl worth something. You will not be shaking the room.
I'd love to get something like a PB13 Ultra but that may be a bit too unwieldy due to its size. Remember, it's going to sit in an entertainment center, and not directly on the floor. I also think that a sealed sub may be a better choice in a cabinet. I also tend to spend much more time on music than HT.

What I'm really asking about is the AS-EQ1 and not looking as much for subwoofer suggestions.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-02-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 290
To be perfectly honest, with your subs locked into less-then-ideal placement, no matter what you get to EQ them is going to be like a band-aid on a gaping head wound.....you're not going to accomplish much in that large of a space without some flexibility in placement.

Since you are 95% music, tell us what your main speakers are (you may not need a subwoofer at all). Also tell us what it is you are expecting from a sub (or subs)?

What are the sub dimension restrictions inside this credenza?

Pics and/or a diagram of the room would be helpful.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-02-2014, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
To be perfectly honest, with your subs locked into less-then-ideal placement, no matter what you get to EQ them is going to be like a band-aid on a gaping head wound.....you're not going to accomplish much in that large of a space without some flexibility in placement.

Since you are 95% music, tell us what your main speakers are (you may not need a subwoofer at all). Also tell us what it is you are expecting from a sub (or subs)?

What are the sub dimension restrictions inside this credenza?

Pics and/or a diagram of the room would be helpful.
Here's a picture of the area with the current entertainment center. The front speakers are Paradigm Studio 100s and the center is a Paradigm CC-690. Currently the rears are Kllipsch 3650 in ceiling speakers, but they may be changed out.

The brown section of the wall, which is inset about 12" from the surrounding cream colored area, is 138" wide. The new credenza will be about 106", so there will be about 16" between the ends of the credenza and the cream colored area. The Studio 100s will be at the outer edges of the brown wall, just outside the credenza. The subs will be within the outer sections of the credenza, just inside the Studio 100s. The sub areas of the credenza are 19" across X 20 " deep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4117.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	242530  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page