Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 09-06-2014, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Another subwoofer suggestion thread..

Hey!

I'm new to AVS, and so called "Hifi" with my modest setup.

I currently have these:

Behringer Truth B3031A
Radial Pro USB DAC

As you can see, I'm running with XLR, which kinda limits the options.

I've been suggested with these models:

KRK 10S
RCF Ayra 10
M-Audio SBX10

I'm using them as gaming, listening music, and I want to continue using XLR cables, as I just bought this "expensive" DAC

E: should I keep the DAC powered on when the PC is shut down?

Last edited by jamb0; 09-06-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-06-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Subs with XLR inputs tend to be a little more expensive, as that feature isn't really expected in low end subwoofers. I would recommend looking at some of the Rythmik subs with the XLR3 amps, the Hsu ULS-15, and the SVS Plus and Ultra series subwoofers. These will set you back 1 to 2k. Worth it though! The subs you have listed are studio subs made as an afterthought by speaker companies, and they won't have any serious extension or dynamic range. Hsu, Rythmik, and SVS will murder those things, but of course, they do cost a bit more.

As for the DAC, I don't think it will hurt to leave it on. I wouldn't worry about that. Although if it were me, I would probably shut it off. I am curious about those Behringers, btw, I have the 2031s, and from what I hear the 3031s are better.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-07-2014, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
Subs with XLR inputs tend to be a little more expensive, as that feature isn't really expected in low end subwoofers. I would recommend looking at some of the Rythmik subs with the XLR3 amps, the Hsu ULS-15, and the SVS Plus and Ultra series subwoofers. These will set you back 1 to 2k. Worth it though! The subs you have listed are studio subs made as an afterthought by speaker companies, and they won't have any serious extension or dynamic range. Hsu, Rythmik, and SVS will murder those things, but of course, they do cost a bit more.

As for the DAC, I don't think it will hurt to leave it on. I wouldn't worry about that. Although if it were me, I would probably shut it off. I am curious about those Behringers, btw, I have the 2031s, and from what I hear the 3031s are better.
My budget is around 700$ max.

Behringers do sound good at loud, so I'd like to have sub which will pair with them well

I could buy Genelec 1092 as a used, at around 750$, is it any good?

Last edited by jamb0; 09-07-2014 at 03:04 AM.
post #4 of 15 Old 09-07-2014, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

The Genelec would not be my first choice, as the specs do not inspire confidence. I am guessing you are in Europe? If so, you may not have much to choose from in your budget.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-07-2014, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The Genelec would not be my first choice, as the specs do not inspire confidence. I am guessing you are in Europe? If so, you may not have much to choose from in your budget.
Yeah, I'm from Finland.

I've found that many subs are with RCA

thomann.de/gb/cat.html?gf=subwoofer&oa=pra

Any suggestions?

post #6 of 15 Old 09-07-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Is Behringer "HIFI" ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

post #7 of 15 Old 09-07-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you handy with tools and MDF? If so, you might be able to build a reasonably good sub in your budget. You can still buy one, but nothing you can afford will play deep or loud, especially with your XLR requirement. Sorry to tell you this, but you are stuck between a rock and a hard place, so to speak. You might just consider saving up for a little while to get something with more punch and extension than what can be had in your present budget. The KRK and JBL LSR subs with the 12" woofers probably aren't bad.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-07-2014, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post
Is Behringer "HIFI" ?
Like I said... so called "Hifi"

Quote:
Are you handy with tools and MDF? If so, you might be able to build a reasonably good sub in your budget. You can still buy one, but nothing you can afford will play deep or loud, especially with your XLR requirement. Sorry to tell you this, but you are stuck between a rock and a hard place, so to speak. You might just consider saving up for a little while to get something with more punch and extension than what can be had in your present budget. The KRK and JBL LSR subs with the 12" woofers probably aren't bad.
E: I'm not interested in making my own subwoofer, not for this time

KRK 12S?

What about RCF Ayra 10? It looks like KRK 10 to me

Last edited by jamb0; 09-07-2014 at 06:33 AM.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-07-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

For the RCF Arya 10, it looks to be - 3 dB at 35 Hz, which is probably similar to the KRK 10. Not terribly impressive and you will get no deep bass. Even the KRK 12s is sadness with a 32 Hz extension. That isn't too bad for music though. If it has some punch, it could be not bad. The truth is you might be more than happy even with the RCF Arya, depending on your expectations. If you are just after some bass foundation to shore up the lower octaves of the bass guitar and piano and are not looking for pounding dubstep basslines and subsonic earthquake effects, than maybe these 10" subs will be fine.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-07-2014, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
For the RCF Arya 10, it looks to be - 3 dB at 35 Hz, which is probably similar to the KRK 10. Not terribly impressive and you will get no deep bass. Even the KRK 12s is sadness with a 32 Hz extension. That isn't too bad for music though. If it has some punch, it could be not bad. The truth is you might be more than happy even with the RCF Arya, depending on your expectations. If you are just after some bass foundation to shore up the lower octaves of the bass guitar and piano and are not looking for pounding dubstep basslines and subsonic earthquake effects, than maybe these 10" subs will be fine.
Do I get more if I'll raise my budget a bit, and get some of these?

Adam Sub 10 Mk2
KRK 12s
Focal CMS Sub
Monkey Banana Turbo 10s

Compared to

KRK 10s
RCF Ayra 10
M-Audio SBX10

The difference is like 200-350€
post #11 of 15 Old 09-07-2014, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

I've chance to buy B.K Electronics Monolith, 5 years old, half price, I could afford it.. Does it sound better at all?
post #12 of 15 Old 09-07-2014, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamb0 View Post
I've chance to buy B.K Electronics Monolith, 5 years old, half price, I could afford it.. Does it sound better at all?
always owned a Velodyne...but there are many others out there.....
post #13 of 15 Old 09-07-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Go for the BK Monolith. As far as I can tell, it is by far the best that you have available to you within your criteria. These measurements are not bad at all. It should be a much higher performer than the others you have named.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-07-2014, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Go for the BK Monolith. As far as I can tell, it is by far the best that you have available to you within your criteria. These measurements are not bad at all. It should be a much higher performer than the others you have named.
I will, I reserved it for me.. Price = 500€ / 650$

Thanks for helping me
post #15 of 15 Old 09-08-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamb0 View Post
Like I said... so called "Hifi"
I was not questioning you, just curious as to where people draw the line when referring to HiFi. Those speakers probably have better electronics than a some of the pre/pro's out there.

Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page