AVS Forum banner

Two Hsu subwoofers get major upgrades: the VTF15h mk2 and VTF3 mk5 HP

127K views 2K replies 185 participants last post by  TheCarFather 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm going to give the these new subs a thread of their own, because they deserve to be known outside of official Hsu thread. At the New York Audio Show yesterday, Hsu unveiled two new subs, the VTF15h mk2 and VTF3 mk5 HP. Both are major upgrades from the previous subs.

The VTF15h mk2 uses a 600 watt amplifier and a higher performing driver which doubles the magnet and now uses a cast frame. Greater xmax capability increases deep bass output substantially, and multiple shorting rings reduce harmonic distortion from the mk1. The enclosure remains the same, with its distinctive flared triangular ports. Also new on the amplifier are XLR inputs, a nice touch. So how does this affect performance? Here are a few numbers to illustrate the difference, where mk2 - mk1:

max extension mode:
40 to 63 Hz (low bass): 126.2 - 122.6: +3.6 dB
20 to 31.5 Hz (Ultra low bass): 119.7 vs 115: +4.7 dB

max output mode:
40 to 63 Hz (low bass): 128.2 vs 124.2: +3.6 dB
20 to 31.5 Hz (Ultra low bass): 120.2 vs 118.2: +2 dB

Overall that is a bit over a 3 dB increase in output, so a greater than 50% performance increase, with the greatest gains being made in the deepest bass. That is great and all, but the really impressive thing is, when shipping is factored in, the VTF15h mk2 is actually slightly cheaper than the mk1, at $899 + 109 shipping for a total of $1008 shipped, as opposed to the $1022 shipped price for the mk1. Greatly improved performance, some new features, and a slightly lower price. Nice!

Also very impressive is the update of the VTF3, the mk5 HP. It also makes the jump to a 600 watt amp, and is now using a 15" driver which looks to be a very similar driver to the VTF15h mk2, if not the same. The mk5 is a pretty dramatic redesign of the VTF3. Instead of rear ports and a side firing driver, both ports and driver face forward. One thing to note is the two ports have different diameters. I am guessing this creates more opportunities for different tuning points? I'll have to ask Hsu about that. So how is performance affected? Let's look at a couple more numbers to compare:

Extension mode, mk5 vs mk4, difference
20 to 31.5 Hz (Ultra low bass): 118.7 - 111.6: +7.1 dB
40 - 63 (low bass): 126.1 -119.8: +6.3

output mode
20 to 31.5 Hz (Ultra low bass): 119.3 - 115.1: +4.2
40 to 63 Hz (low bass): 127.8 - 121.2: +6.6

Overall that is roughly a 6 dB increase in output, which is a doubling of performance. As with the VTF15h mk2, the greatest gains are made in the deeper bass, which is usually the most challenging frequency spectrum for a subwoofer to produce cleanly, so that is a particularly impressive enhancement. There is a price increase on the VTF3, the mk5 HP goes for $799 + $109 shipping, totaling 908 shipped, but that is mild with respect to the performance gains. So for a modest 13% price increase you get a 100% performance increase. I can live with that! I'll miss the side-firing driver, but I will definitely trade it for such a tremendous performance increase.

See less See more
#501 ·
Man that stinks. I hope mine doesn't change too but it probably will since I planned Tuesday off. Man you have to get yours upstairs? Now that's work. My theater is in the basement so I just lay the box on it's side and get in front of it. Keep checking the delivery date it might change back.

#510 ·
Well it arrived near Dallas, TX Friday night and left the facility just after Midnight Friday night/Sat morning, So I would assume it was on it's way to Tulsa... hopefully it is still set for Monday delivery. Will find out in the AM.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

The bad thing about shipping this time a year is things get delayed pretty easily because of weather and overstuffed trucks. Santa needs a bigger sleigh!
One that can hold about 20 boxes that are about 33(h)x27(w)x24(d):grin:.

#505 ·
Watch Tron. It's amazing.

Club Scene. All the punches and kicks are now FELT.

#512 ·
Also, if possible could someone please post a video of their sub in action (VTF15h mk2 or VTF3 mk5 HP ). I have been searching youtube etc, but nothing. Just want to hear how they sound like.

Greatly appreciated. Thanks

#515 ·
I am, and I usually don't buy extended warranties. We'll be getting some of the first subs of a new(updated) line. The warranty is too cheap not to.

#516 ·
Nice! That's a good surprise, except having to mess with changing your schedule. I think my driver went off in a ditch or something. Last tracking was that it arrived in Dallas 10:20PM Friday night and then departed 12:33am. Now Monday and still no update, I would think whenever it got to where it was going on Friday Night/Sat Morning they would of had a new arrival scan. Oh well, hopefully it will update with some new info soon.

#529 · (Edited)
I got mine (15H mk2)! I've tried a bunch of demo material and the only scene that got me worried was the server room scene from Pulse. When the low notes are hit, it sounds like a washing machine shaking (lots of rattling from the sub). I think that it is bottoming out at -20 (sub set to 0db and gain at 9pm) or I'm hearing a lot of port noise. I have it I'm 1 port extension mode with q set to .5. I'm going to guess I just shouldn't play this material... Anyone else have this issue? I wasn't expecting to have this type of limitation on this sub.

#531 ·
My MK5 has officially shipped! I guess both ports open with a Q of .5 is where I'll start. Should I run Audyssey on the tune I'm running it in? I heard you're supposed to put it on .7 when you run Audyssey but that doesn't make sense to me.

#555 ·
I hadn't unwrapped the whole sub and as I turned it over I found that an entire top corner of the sub is crushed probably from dropping it. So it's scratched and crushed. The good part is Hsu Research is top notch and will take care of it.
very sorry to see this. All this wait and anticipation and then this. hopefully exchange will go smoothly. Really feel sorry for you bud.

#534 ·
I hadn't unwrapped the whole sub and as I turned it over I found that an entire top corner of the sub is crushed probably from dropping it. So it's scratched and crushed. The good part is Hsu Research is top notch and will take care of it.

Attachments

#536 ·
Bummer... wow that is rather sloppy, reckless shipping on FedEx's part. I am surprised Hsu still uses FedEx to ship the VTF-15H considering its size and weight. Hsu would be better served shipping those subwoofers using a freight service like the one SVS uses to ship the PB13-Ultra/PC13-Ultra models, all nicely strapped to a pallete - safe & sound.

#546 ·
Pulse is especially good for letting you hear port noise because there is no higher frequency material to mask the chuffing noise. You may be getting port noise with other scenes as well but are simply not hearing it over all the other commotion. Keep in mind the VTF15h mk2 will be less susceptible to port noise than other subs thanks to the larger port diameter and higher tuning points.

#547 · (Edited)
Looking forward to hearing this thing. Right now my current sub sounds pretty good. Shakes the coutch a little, plays clean and relatively deep. I'm running the sub at +12 on my Denon x2000 with the gain at 12:00 to get good output. Still plays clean though. Once I go past 12:00 on the gain I start to get a lot of boomyness. Sub level at 0 on my AVR and it hardley makes a sound.

#548 ·
Still no change on my tracking info but it does still say scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I called and they did not really know why the tracking never updated. They said they must of forgot to scan it when it arrived at the next place. There is probably a FedEx driver in Dallas listening to some good bass right now. :)

#550 ·
Ok, I heard port noise. Both subs 1port mode, volume on receiver set such that the 50hz track on the HSU Test Disc was 80db, then using the 16hz track I heard it, definite port noise. I also heard the doors moving, lighting fixtures vibrating, and felt a breeze moving past my face...I **** you knot, I felt a breeze of air moving past my face, as though someone was gently blowing from left to right. It was amazing.

RS Meter read 85db. So from what I can gather looking at various stated correction factors for that meter that's anywhere from 95-100db actual SPL at 16hz in my room. :serious:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.