Is it possible to redirect a subwoofer's port? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-07-2014, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Question Is it possible to redirect a subwoofer's port?

I am planning cabinets to install in my living room for my TV and entertainment system. I'm considering the option of installing my subwoofer inside the cabinets. I know this has to be done right to not compromise too much on the sub's sound.

The sub driver is front-firing, which will allow it to fire through a speaker mesh covered cabinet door. But my sub also has a side-firing port. I want to avoid the port's sound reverberating inside the cabinet. Is it possible to redirect the port so that it is pointing forward and also firing out the front of the cabinet?

There could be space in the cabinet for a length of pipe or tubing to connect from the port and curve around towards the front. Would this affect the sub's sound? Is this just a bad idea in general?

I'd rather not purchase a new subwoofer as I'd need a new amplifier too. The sound system integrates the amplifier inside the sub.

I'm weighing other options for doing the cabinets, including leaving some space to the left of the cabinets where the sub can fit between the cabinets and the wall. It's not a large living room, so being able to utilize the whole wall for cabinets would seem to be preferable.

I attached some pictures of my layout sketches as well as a photo of my living room. The fireplace is being removed, making room for the cabinets and my new 70" TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	living_room-cabinet_only-sub_in_cabinet.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	298842   Click image for larger version

Name:	living_room-cabinet_only-front-sub_in_cabinet.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	298850   Click image for larger version

Name:	living_room-cabinet_only.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	298866   Click image for larger version

Name:	living_room-cabinet_only-front.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	298874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140219_113420.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	298882  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-07-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 1964
Rotate the sub 90° so that the port fires through the mesh.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-07-2014, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
Rotate the sub 90° so that the port fires through the mesh.
But then the driver would be firing inside the cabinet. There is much more sound produced by the driver than the port, so this would similarly reverberate inside the cabinet, yes?

post #4 of 8 Old 10-07-2014, 11:28 AM

Liked: 5687
Two issues you're overlooking are placement and vibration. In the first case, subs need to go where they work best, and that seldom coincides with where they look best or are most convenient. Only consider putting it in that cabinet if you've verified with in room measurements taken at the LP that the sub works well there.
Putting a sub in a cabinet will vibrate the cabinet along with everything in and on it. It will have to be built like a tank to withstand the long wavelength low frequencies produced by the sub.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-07-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdgr8 View Post
But then the driver would be firing inside the cabinet. There is much more sound produced by the driver than the port, so this would similarly reverberate inside the cabinet, yes?
You'll most likely get reverberations either way, but given that bass is omnidirectional, I'd rather aim the driver at an opposing wall (assuming there's sufficient clearance) than potentially compromise the effectiveness of the port.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-07-2014, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Do not "extend" the port. That'll change the tuning frequency of the port in your sub. Also, by placing it in the cabinet, you'll create an additional "port" length, by effectively creating an additional path for the port (or driver) to pass through, like a folded horn arrangement. You're almost guaranteed bad results with a ported sub in a cabinet. And as others said, vibrations will be a buzzkill too.

For an in-cabinet sub, look to a sealed arrangement, so only the driver is facing through the cabinet grill.

Why do all of my threads suck? Is there an internet posting school somewhere? -wes k
post #7 of 8 Old 10-07-2014, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarder1995 View Post
For an in-cabinet sub, look to a sealed arrangement, so only the driver is facing through the cabinet grill.
Would it be possible to mod the subwoofer by sealing the port to get the same results as a sealed cabinet sub? I've read of people doing this with this particular model, but I've read in other places that the port is engineered to provide cooling for the amplifier, so sealing it would not be a good idea. There is a heat sink with fins on the back of the subwoofer for dissipating heat from the amplifier. But would this not be adequate if I were to seal the port off? Could I potentially damage the amplifier doing this?
post #8 of 8 Old 10-07-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarder1995 View Post
Do not "extend" the port. That'll change the tuning frequency of the port in your sub. Also, by placing it in the cabinet, you'll create an additional "port" length, by effectively creating an additional path for the port (or driver) to pass through, like a folded horn arrangement. You're almost guaranteed bad results with a ported sub in a cabinet. And as others said, vibrations will be a buzzkill too.

You will have issues with resonances regardless of the sub being ported or not. It's not the port creating the issue, it's the small volume of air causing a resonance point regardless of the type of sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page