AVS Forum banner

mixing sub brands...

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  DocCasualty 
#1 ·
How hard is it to integrate the sound from subs from different brands? I have a med sized theater room, 12 x 22 with 8 foot celing all all closed off. Currently, running on EMP10i10i (dual 10 inch subs) which I really like and most of the time, it provides plenty of bass for the entire room. However, a few movies with really bass heavy scenes (Oblivion, for instance), well, the sub will distort a little and I know if won't hit as low as some of the other ID brand subs (SVS, HSU, Rythmics, Outlaw, etc). Also, I am aware that to improve the bass throughout the room, it is often recommended that you run multiple subs. I would just get another EMP10i10i, but that wouldnt improve the lack of really good lows and the sub has been discontinued, so that is not an option anyway unless I look used.
If I were to get a Rythmics 12R, would it be hard to integrate that with my EMP10i10i and make a decent bass response in my theater?

#2 ·
No way I would mix a Rythmik with a EMP. When you mix subs, your system will be held back by its weakest member, that is why it's not usually encouraged. The articulate bass from a Rythmik will get smeared away in a system running with a lower end sub. In a system like yours, I would either add another EMP, or remove the EMP and go with Rythmik subs.

#3 ·
Is the 1010 sealed or ported?

Anyway you could try adding another sub. If it's sealed try a SVS SB2000 or PSA XS15, ported PB or PC2000 or PSA XV15. Both include home trial periods with return shipping included.

Only way to know for sure is to try for yourself in your own room with your own ears.

I find my two very different subs play pretty well together. At fairly high volumes on frequencies below 20-25hz I can't tell that my SC signs off. The PC12+ has enough output and good enough response at the LP that I can't hear any change in volume.

I do notice a positive improvement overall with both subs running.

So give it a try. You've got nothing to lose.

Reactions: dsrussell
#4 ·
You will likely get a nice improvement in bass from around 30-40 Hz on up. This is the area that usually causes the biggest issues as far as nulls an peaks.

The problem you will run into with two different subs, however, will defeat the purpose of what you are trying to do. The EMP sub probably starts rolling off below 30 Hz. This will cause it to be out of phase with the better quality sub that does not roll off until perhaps below 20 Hz. The result will be cancellation in the low bass where the two subs have differing roll offs. That is why you do not mix subs that are too different from one another.

#5 ·
Strange as it sounds, I agree with all the responders, even if they are stating don't mix or why not try it? But Elihawk's problem is bass response and distortion at lower frequencies, not necessarily smooth response at the listening position.

As Kini62 said, it won't cost anything but time to try out either a PSA or SVS sub to see how it integrates with the EMP Tek subs. It will also give Elihawk a chance to see what a higher-end sub can do on its own and give him a better idea of where to go from there. However, I agree with ShadyJ and Bear123 that trying to get the EMP Teks to integrate will no doubt bring down the superior sub (either due to cancellation effects or that they just sound different), especially if they are too dissimilar. I would think this would be especially true for the servo-controlled Rythmiks. I'd hate to integrate a Rythmik with anything other than another servo-controlled sub.

#6 ·
The EMP sub is sealed, I am pretty sure. And it is a very good sub, considering it cannot hit below 30 and considering it will not have thundering output. It hits 30-60 Hz very accurately and really excells for music!

Sounds like mixing it with a sub that will give me what I am missing won't be a good idea.The EMPtek was a huge improvement over the Kipsch RW12d is just about every way, so maybe I move it upstair and retire the Klipsch!

#8 ·
How hard is it to integrate the sound from subs from different brands?
Assuming they're of the same type (sealed, reflex) and have similar response, not hard at all, since almost all have on-board volume and phase or polarity controls. Placed side by side you might have issues, but you shouldn't be doing so anyway.

Elihawk's problem is bass response and distortion at lower frequencies
A problem that likely would be cured by adding a second sub. Distortion is an indicator that one isn't enough.

#9 ·
If I were to get a Rythmics 12R, would it be hard to integrate that with my EMP10i10i and make a decent bass response in my theater?
I claim no expertise but have integrated two different ported subs without too much difficulty. When I was deciding whether or not to try this I did a search here and ran across a divergence of opinions, as you see in this thread. Then I ran across this thread:
gedlee said:
First my approach is not about what design of sub to use, I pretty much don;t care. I have not seen a big difference from the design or the maker, its all about the room and the setup. So I will de-emphasize the type and focus on the "how".

In my setup the room is special, its designed to be a listening room and it has extensive LF damping. This is always going to be an advantage. But the approach is the same no mater what kind of room you have. The idea is to use multple subs located around the room to smooth the spatial and spectral response at the seating location. The fact that multiple subs does this has been proven time and time again and really isn't an arguable point. IF you want the smoothest bass, then you must use multiple sources, no single source can compete. The room dominates the LF situation in any audio system and its the sources that must be accomodated to the room.

Sure its not great to have subs all over the place, but you have to get your priorities in order. Do you want the "best" bass or not, because if you do, you better get used to multiple subs. But rememebr that because there are lots of them, they don't have to be extremely large. Mine are about 18 x 16 x 14 for what I call the broad band subs which cover about 50 Hz - 150 Hz. These then overlap the mains, which are simple closed box. I use one Ultra Low Frequency sub that covers 25 Hz - 50 Hz for that lowest octave. At these frequencies only one sub is needed and it matters not at all where it is placed as long as its NOT in the middle of the room (given its size that would never happen.) . . .
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1124011-three-inexpensive-subs-better-than-one-expensive-sub-dr-earl-geddes-approach.html#post15908715
It's a rather long but informative thread (if you learn to skim quickly over the usual AVS bickering and BS) and I'd encourage you to read it. Actually according to Geddes utilizing different subs is probably preferable to using multiple subs all tuned exactly alike. Of course there are different opinions about all of this but the dogma of not mixing different subs is hardly an absolute.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.