1Likes
  • 1 Post By basshead81

post #1 of 12 Old 12-26-2014, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sub for music, large room

I have purchased a new setup as follows: Paradigm Studio 60 fronts, CC590 center, ADP590 rears powered by a MRX710. I am currently looking for a sub to fill out the bottom end.
My room is 20 wide by 32 long with vaulted ceiling to 14 ft in the centre. The front half of the room is living room, back half dining and kitchen. Sitting areas is about 12 feet back from the front. The only area for subs would be the front listening area or at the very back of the room, 1 corner. All hard wood floors.
Listening is 85% music, jazz, blues and some rock. TV/HT/music concerts 15%. I'm looking to fill out the bottom end of the musical sound in this large room with some tight bass - not really looking for rumble in the seat HT effects at all but enhanced lower end would be a bonus. I realize I would need a lot of subs to "pressurize" my room if it was even possible but I am not looking for "knock in the chest" effect and "digging deep" as I read constantly in many threads down to incredibly low levels. I'm looking for those drums and bass instruments to be more enhanced and punchy.
I have done some research and seem to be stuck. I can fit 2 x 18" cubes comfortably at the front if necessary but would prefer 1 unit to blend in with what I have and sound seamless. Budget up to $2000 if it makes sense, necessary. I have been contemplating single or duals of Rythmik F12, F15, F15HP, FV15HP as well as Paradigm Monitor 12 because my retailer carries them. The Monitor Sub 12 I can get for 899 here in Canada, maybe less if I got 2. Anything shipped from ID's in the US just got ugly in the last few months with our currency exchange now at 15%. SVS have a Canadian distributor with the SB2000 at 780 and the PB at 890 each, shipped.
I just got back from my local retail shop and listened to a Monitor 12 - yes I could here the bass support but the room isn't nearly a fair comparison, etc, etc.
Any thoughts? considerations? other things I should be thinking about?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-26-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 1814
Being your listening will be 85% music I think will be fine in that size room going sealed. I would be looking at the PSA XS30se, Rythmik F25, or Seaton Sub M.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-26-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Big, wide room. One sub won't do it unless you put it right in front or in back of your mlp.
If you have the room for ported, you will get more bang for your buck.
I'm a fan of SVS outlet specials. They come with the same trial period and, if I recall the discussion recently, the Canadian outlet also offers free return shipping.
Get two of the biggest that will fit and you can afford.
Then get an spl meter and get involved in measuring and trying to get the most of what you have.
Michael

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #4 of 12 Old 12-26-2014, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 33
One word of advice, avoid subwoofer for music. The higher end your speakers/components, the more problem you will have with sub integration.

Or you can learn it the hard way...

(Upgrade the fronts instead)

Also, you can use room divider to create a smaller rectangular listening space, it will vastly increase your bass.

Last edited by coli; 12-26-2014 at 02:34 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-26-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 323
The 60s go down to 45 Hz. Deep bass, even for "music," goes lower than that:
http://www.independentrecording.net/...in_display.htm
Subs would take the strain off the mains and help them perform better, anyway.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #6 of 12 Old 12-26-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 141
@synodontis:

On another note I wouldn't avoid subwoofer for music at all. Actually having a subwoofer has nothing to do whether you are using it for film or music or music in film, let alone concert movies (BR, DVD). I's all about in-room sound wave propagation, right?

Cleverly setting up your system with BM (Bass Management) will do wonders for you. You will relieve your speakers and corresponding amp channels from doing the "heavy lifting" jobs down at the low frequency end of the audio spectrum by sparing amp headroom, yet crossing over at 80 Hz (or so) will let "Big Brother" (a.k.a. subwoofer) do what it was desinged for.

Bass is not localizable by our ears, therefore the only thing you need to take care of is subwoofer placement. In order to get deep, smooth and even bass you may consider to do a

Last edited by mogorf; 12-26-2014 at 02:59 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-27-2014, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Basshead, thanks for the ideas. Seaton cost is out of my league and needs I think. Like the thought of 1 XS30se but the weight and handling of this thing would be ugly, however, I know its only 1 time. I contacted PSA and got some initial feedback saying that indeed for my needs the 30 would perform well - i.e my listening levels, music, etc. I have asked if 2 15's would do as well and sent them a drawing of the room setup which they requested.
mogorf - I definitely want to add the sub and thanks for the crawl link. For a newbie, and I know we are all there at one point, the whole project is rather daunting to say the least. But rewarding I am sure and I am very excited about making the final decision. My wife is also on my case to "git' er done"!!
Also waiting to hear back from Rythmik although the F25 at 160 pounds is out of the question but possibly the F15HP?? or FV15HP - that being said the PSA pricing including shipping is very good and more competitive than Rythmik at this point.
Boy my suggestion on the 2 Paradigm Monitor 12 subs didn't even get a nibble? I guess from the reading I have been doing the dedicated sub guys are the way to go.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-27-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 159
I made some platforms on wheels for the subs to make them easier to move around. This may not pass the WAF since you are upstairs, lol.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-27-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 568
I would also add dual PSA XS15se's and a SVS1313ultra (sealed)
post #10 of 12 Old 12-27-2014, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

I hear you on the wheeled platforms - I am an aquarium junkie and my large aquariums have large 5 gallon pail sized filters on them. When I have to take them out to clean and service and they weigh a good 60-70 pounds full, a wheeled dolly that I made works great getting them over to my work area 40 some feet away.
I ran the sizing of the xs30 by her this morning and she is fine with it, no issues. Question - with the dual opposing 15's in that sub, if I was positioning it in a corner, how far out from the corner does it need to be for the rear driver? The F25 @ 160 pounds is something I will not consider - the size could probably work but the heft is a non-starter.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-27-2014, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

audiofan - yes, I like the potential idea of the dual xs15se's and am waiting for some feedback from psa on that combo versus the single xs30 @ 1249 and as stated earlier, wondering how the Rythmik F15hp would compare. The xs15's are 1499 for a pair, shipped, seems like a great deal although it's still a lot of dough but I'd rather do it once and do it right. The rythmik F15's are 974 ea + shipping and the f15hp are 1074, all in the matte finish, so considerably more money on the rythmiks and I still haven't factored 15% currency exchange for my anemic Canadian dollar !!.
At the end of the day, I am looking to fill out bass for 80 -90% music application in my large room, usually listening at medium listening levels. Looking for punchier drums, bass, etc. TV/HT/concert DVD's are the balance. Definitely not looking for room shakers but moreso a seamless sound with the sub(s).
post #12 of 12 Old 12-28-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by synodontis View Post
audiofan - yes, I like the potential idea of the dual xs15se's and am waiting for some feedback from psa on that combo versus the single xs30 @ 1249 and as stated earlier, wondering how the Rythmik F15hp would compare. The xs15's are 1499 for a pair, shipped, seems like a great deal although it's still a lot of dough but I'd rather do it once and do it right. The rythmik F15's are 974 ea + shipping and the f15hp are 1074, all in the matte finish, so considerably more money on the rythmiks and I still haven't factored 15% currency exchange for my anemic Canadian dollar !!.
At the end of the day, I am looking to fill out bass for 80 -90% music application in my large room, usually listening at medium listening levels. Looking for punchier drums, bass, etc. TV/HT/concert DVD's are the balance. Definitely not looking for room shakers but moreso a seamless sound with the sub(s).
Not many will just say flat out say it but subs can and do have a sound signature just like all sound transducers do (equalized flat or not) as with music content (I'm a huge Jazz&Classical fan but listen to all genres as well) and after a brief time with the XS15se my conclusions where it indeed has musical prowess and at it price I was shocked! Not many subs IMHO excel here, as group delay and time domain play a huge factor in what you may actually hear! Having said that you're on the right track and have some excellent choices you're considering !

As a side note do PSA's return policy I think they would be a good place to start and the XS15se (duals) or XS30se may indeed get the job done
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page