AVS Forum banner

Rel Subs

5K views 46 replies 11 participants last post by  Jim1290 
#1 ·
Anyone have any experience with the new REL S3 or G2 Subs. I have a room approximately 15 X 30 feet and not sure if I should go with two S3's or one G2. I will be using these for 2 channel as well as home theater. According to my measurements I do not have enough room to place the G2 in a corner so it would have to sit alongside my main tower speakers. I do have room for the S3's in the corners.

Thanks so much

#2 ·
A 10-inch sub for $2,000 (S3) and another 10-inch sub for $3,500 (G2)? Where are you from?

#6 ·
You wont find much here on rel subwoofers as they are not high output subs and the cost is well quite ridiculous for what you are getting imho.

But if those are your subs then I would definitely recommend going duals .

#5 ·
Well, being in Canada does restrict your options. RELs seem very popular in Europe (that's why I asked). The REL subs are quite beautiful and owners swear by them. Then again, owners swear by anything they own, or they wouldn't own them :).

Two subs are generally preferred over one sub in order to smooth out the bass response at the listening position. The larger the area that needs to be covered at the listening position, the more important it is to go multiple subs. If you only have a small area to cover (a couch or couple of seats), a single sub would be just fine.

Oh, I'm sure that the G-series is more powerful, but a 10-inch driver and passive radiator can only do so much. I personally know nothing about REL, except for a couple of reviews, which state they are great for music. Then again, several subwoofers are great for music (Rythmik and SVS to name just two). For home theater movie use, I'd think there are plenty to choose from that would outperform the REL by a large margin for half the price of the G2. Of course they won't look as elegant. And if one can get a Seaton SubMersive for less money than the G2, I'd say it would be insanity not to choose the Seaton. Just my opinion, of course.

#8 ·
Funk Audio is an interesting company. They are the only company I know that could be considered a custom shop. They have so many finishes that they can design a sub more specifically to one's aesthetic preferences than any other. Add to that, their speakers and subs are very highly regarded.

#16 ·
coffeebob: Wow! Congratulations and then some :eek:! Please let us know how they perform in your room. I believe you will be blown away.

#20 ·
Thanks fatbottom.

I know it's old but still working with my old HT, didn't want to spend much for the old HT, just want to add anther subwoofer to feel the difference.

I am busy with setting up a two channel for music only, perhaps 2.1, so for now it will be less investment into HT.

#21 ·
I had a Storm V1. For Pro-Logic era it was fine, but once DVD's came out it farted and parped badly. Got a SVS cylinder which obliterated it.

Adding another Storm won't help. For music sure... But a single, decent subs will be superior to dual Storm III's. Hell, I bet a PB Ultra would outclass four Storms.

If you have decent stereo speakers you don't need a sub, my mains go down to 36hz and 43hz, so no need for a sub if L/R are set full range, for music.

#23 ·
Depends on the room size and use. Movies require higher output, so where a sealed box will cope for hifi, it may not for movies.

But IMO sealed for smaller rooms, ported for larger rooms or apartments. I went from ported SVS to sealed SVS as suited the room better.

The only thing Rel have is the low crossover points, so in a Hifi that is useful if you want to blend it it with floorstanders. Lowest in my 12" sealed box is 40hz, but I know the Rel's can go much lower, as you may want it around 30hz or so.

For music I don't think it's worth changing the Storm III but for movies I'd definietly recommend it. If you have two seperate systems that would be ideal move the Rel to the Hifi then get a good sub for the home theatre.

#25 ·
Yeah that is a great sub, I'm using SB Ultra 13 for the home theatre. You'll be in for a huge shock the upgrade from Rel Storm to SVS 20-39 PC Plus was immense. Gone was port chuffing, driver distortion, bottoming out, instead just things crashing off the shelves in the other side of the house. "Holy crap" the first time I put on action movie. And the Ultra 13 driver is far better than the PC Plus V1 driver I had.

For movies the Rel Storm sounded like a granny after eating cabbage. The Ultra feels like your house was hit by a bulldozer.

I believe Martin Logan require a subwoofer as flat panel don't go that low, and you need a good one? If so a SB Ultra 13 would be a good choice.

The Rel had a low quality crossover too, it was useless in hifi. In fact, it passed high frequencies even if the ABC was on lowest setting, you could hear some midrange sounds!

If you have a large room, I'd probably go for PB Ultra 13. But for normal sized living room one, or two SB Ultra 13's would be plenty.

#26 ·
Sounds like I should get rid of the Rel..

I will first try with one SB Ultra 13, and will add the second one if necessary.
The PB Ultra 13 is huge to place in the living room, as I don't have a dedicated Home Cinema.
However, I will have a small but proper music room.

Thanks for your help :)

#28 ·
Thanks dsrussell.

I followed fashion and bought the HT system back then in 1999, and never paid much attention to it, just enjoy it.
Last year the pre/pro finally gave up after many years, since I have very little to no knowledge about HT & HiFi stuff, so I joined this forum to learn...

Now I spend more and more time reading through this and other forums, and started to paying more attention to what I have and what I would like to have or change.
Still, I am quite new to this whole thing, so please bear with me.

I have SL3, Script, Cinema from Martin Logan, and Rel Storm III, the old HT system.
Would like to change subwoofer, and perhaps to have two to experience what I read online about HT.

Also, I am trying to set up a two channel system for music only, and fatbottom suggested to try the old Rel with the two channel system, and buy the SVS for HT use.
I have got L shape living room, if that answers your question.

Thank you all for your help.

#29 ·
Thanks I have got L shape living room, if that answers your question.

Thank you all for your help.
No it doesn't. He was asking the cubic ft of your room, not the shape. The cubic ft is far more important than the shape, for example, a 3000 cu ft room is easier for a sub to pressurize than a 4000 cu ft room.

The ultra is a great sub, however, there are subs available that are equal to it for less. It really depends on your room size. Follow dsrussells link to see some of those choices.

#31 ·
Thank you dsrussell & Rowan!

The Lshape living room is about 50m2, with 2.75m ceiling height, and the HT is in the "I" part of the" L".
The 2 channel room is about 10m2, very small one, and same ceiling height.
Hope this is the correct info you need. Please excuse me for the measurements, not in cu ft.

I live in Belgium and it's not easy to audition speaker and subwoofer over here, some brands simply hasn't got official dealers here in Belgium or in Netherlands.
For the 2 channel system, I originally wanted to audition speakers from Aerial Acoustics, and now I turned to choose between Focal, Tannoy and Rockport Technologies as there are official dealers over here for those brands.

#33 ·
Don't worry about meters. We can easily transfer them to feet. From your description, your room is on the borderline of large and extreme (4,856 cu. ft. or 137.5 cu. meters). This means a large, powerful sub is needed. For music only, one can still go sealed, but two might be required (this is dependent upon your expectations and what type of music). Again, for most music, a sub that can reach down to around 35 Hz with good SPL should be fine. It's your room volume that makes smaller subs a wrong choice. For movies, you'd be missing too much of the low frequency effects (LFE).

Unfortunately, not knowing which subwoofers you can purchase in your part of the world puts a damper on suggestions. It would be easier to know which subwoofers are available. Just understand that small subs aren't the answer, even for music, and you are probably looking at two subs.

For speakers, room volume isn't much of a consideration. It's the distance from your speakers to the listening position. Just audition as many speakers as you can and get the speaker that suits your own ears. You'll know what speakers excite you and which do not.

#34 ·
Thank you for your time dsrussell.

The reason I asked about Rel subwoofer as it is the most easier one to get over here in Belgium. Of course, it's not difficult to audition and buy most European speakers and subwoofers, but I do like the ones made from the States.
SVS I can only buy it online from this, it takes care of BeNeLux...

Any advise for the ones from Europe? Or simply go for SVS?
Thanks again!

#36 ·
Not familiar with BeNeLux.

It looks like LSound is all SVS. The only other sub I saw was the Kreisel DXD-12012 (a fine subwoofer, but ridiculously priced). REL is also ridiculously priced. Not that it isn't a fine subwoofer, but far too costly vs performance. That leaves SVS. Your room size indicates two subs, so I'd be looking at two PB-2000 or PC-2000 at minimum. If you can only buy one sub, then it would be either the PB12-Plus or the PC12-Plus at a minimum, with the PB13-Ultra or the PC13-Ultra preferable. You just need to confirm what LSound's policies are (shipping costs, return policy, warranty). Return policy is especially important. You don't want to be stuck with a very expensive sub that doesn't do the job or (for whatever reason) you don't like.

Anyway, read all the specifications of each SVS sub very carefully and compare it to those subs that are local to you and readily available.

#38 ·
Thank you dsrussell and fatbottom.

I am old school, prefer to shopping in person, however I have no choice with SVS. Will read careful with their return policy.

Shall I go for one PB13-Ultra or two? or two SB13-Ultra?
Without shopping online I can choose from Focal, Monitor Audio, Dali, Kef, Tannoy, and B&W.
Any good subwoofers from these brands?

Thank you,
Jim

#39 ·
SVS offer better value for subwoofers than those brands. If you're into high spl, action movies, huge room get two PB13 Ultra's. Dual SB13 Ultra's will be excellent too, but will lose on the extreme spl to ported.

Another alterntaive is dual PB/PC Plus's. There is no SB Plus anymore. Either way, dual Ultra's whether SB or PB (or indeed PCU) will be awesome. I've owned PC Ultra 13 and now own SB Ultra 13.

For music the sealed box performed better in my room.

Personally I'd buy one subwoofer for now, you may not need another. The jump from Rel Storm III to SB Ultra/PB Ultra is massive so I think you think the jump won't be huge so you're getting too much subwoofery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.