Do all subwoofers have the same sweet spot location in a certain room? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bill Fitzmaurice

post #1 of 10 Old 01-25-2015, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Do all subwoofers have the same sweet spot location in a certain room?

Hi,

It is well known that subwoofers sound differently depending on where in a room it is placed. But if a sweet spot location has been found for a subwoofer, does that mean it will also be a sweet spot for other subwoofers?

I'm wondering because it can be good to know that the subwoofer can be placed in the same location, if one decides to change to another subwoofer.

If the sweet spot is not necessarily the same, then do you know what the reason for that is? Is. it e.g. because the subwoofers can have different frequency response? And if so, will the sweet spot at least be the same for two subwoofers if they have the same frequency response?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-25-2015, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 126
[QUOTE=Fjodor2000;31143170]Hi,

It is well known that subwoofers sound differently depending on where in a room it is placed. But if a sweet spot location has been found for a subwoofer, does that mean it will also be a sweet spot for other subwoofers?

Yes :-)

MartinLogan Motion 40s / 30 / LX16s
Marantz SR5007 / UD5007
Emotiva XPA-3
SVS SB13ultra

exercise room: MartinLogan LX16s / Dynamo700
post #3 of 10 Old 01-25-2015, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I have used several different subs in the same room and most work very well in the so called sweet spot.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-25-2015, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 106
i have thought about asking this same question. iv tried multiple subs and for me they all have seemed to play best in my left front corner. thats everything from rythmik lv12r, fv15hp and 18inch marty sub.

7.3 w/ denon x4100
JTR noesis 228s LCR
Ascend acoustics cmt 340se side ss.
ascend acoustics cbm170se rear ss
Dual rythmik fv15hps/ 1 LV12r
Verticle Marty/UXL 18 powered with inuke 6kw DSP (and another Marty in the making)
post #5 of 10 Old 01-25-2015, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2227
The sweet spot is governed by the distance relationships between the sub, the room boundaries and the LP. That doesn't change with the brand of sub.
TomC1315 likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-26-2015, 01:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post
i have thought about asking this same question. iv tried multiple subs and for me they all have seemed to play best in my left front corner. thats everything from rythmik lv12r, fv15hp and 18inch marty sub.

sorry OT by any chance did you post a comparison between the FV15HP vs the 18 inch Marty ?
post #7 of 10 Old 01-26-2015, 04:51 AM

Location: Dennison IL, just across the state line from Terre Haute IN.
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I wouldn't think different configurations (down-firing, front-firing, compound push-pull) could sound the same in any one position. Possibly the same size, and config with the same response could. I also believe there is more than one good placement in a room.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-26-2015, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy View Post
sorry OT by any chance did you post a comparison between the FV15HP vs the 18 inch Marty ?
not really but basic comparisons. i stated that my marty sounds most like my fv15hp when the fv is in 2 port with 14hz filter (18hz port tune) and medium damping.

in all honesty id like to learn more about how to use my amp and also REW before i give a more in depth comparison. i say this because there are so many options on the inuke that I'm not farmilar with such as buterworth 18 vs 24 vs all the other options. i just don't like to compare things until i feel i have a complete understanding of all my settings and what they are doing to affect the output, performance and any chariterist traits of the sound coming out.

right now i feel i have it setup with the fvs well because these simple steps..

1) started with one fv on. got the output at each freq with the single fv using spl meter.
2) turned second fv on and played with settings until i got about a 6db gain at all freqs from 15-80hz or so.
3) tunrned on the the marty sub w/ all other fvs on and played with it till i got max output at each freq, which ended up being around 5 db give or take a db or 2 a certain freqs. i ended up running phase 180 degrees and buterworth 18. it gave me best overall results. overall the marty seems to add 5dbs to the dual fvs.

i have also said i feel like the fvs stop a bit quicker and may even seem just a tat cleaner than my marty. however this could have more to do with something like the box i made or settings on the amp. Not necessarily the uxl 18 itself.

if you have any other questions please PM me as i am already wayyyy off topic lol

7.3 w/ denon x4100
JTR noesis 228s LCR
Ascend acoustics cmt 340se side ss.
ascend acoustics cbm170se rear ss
Dual rythmik fv15hps/ 1 LV12r
Verticle Marty/UXL 18 powered with inuke 6kw DSP (and another Marty in the making)
post #9 of 10 Old 01-26-2015, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjfalls View Post
I wouldn't think different configurations (down-firing, front-firing, compound push-pull) could sound the same in any one position. Possibly the same size, and config with the same response could. I also believe there is more than one good placement in a room.
Of course there is. In my current setup I have three possible positions; however, due to the location my sub needs to be in it can only really go in one location. Lucky for me, it was also the best.

HT: Denon 4520ci | Klipsch KLF 20s | Klipsch KLF C7 | Klipsch KLF 10s | Klipsch KG 1.2s | 24" THT | Bash 300S | Panamax 5300PM | Panasonic 55VT60 | Oppo 103 | PS4 | X1
Family: Pioneer SP-SB23W | Pioneer Kuro Elite 111 | PS3
2 Channel: Yamaha R8 | Cambridge Audio D500SE | KLH Model 6
post #10 of 10 Old 01-28-2015, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 68
For the most part yes but it also depends on the subwoofers you are comparing. If you have a spot that results in a null at 10hz while all the other frequencies are good. In that case, this might be a perfect spot for a sub capable to 20hz and not so ideal for a sub that goes all the way down to 10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
location , room , subwoofer , sweet spot

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page