AVS Forum banner

Sub for Take Classic 5.0: 2 Energy ESW-8's or one SB1000?

408 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  eljaycanuck 
#1 ·
So I just upgraded from a Sony HTIB to an STR-DN1050 and Take Classic 5.1 system. Definite upgrade. Problem is the room is 2500 cuft, so while the sub sounds good (for fun I put on Usher's "Yeah!" and the base beat rattled the picture frames in another room with the volume only on 24), it's not quite good enough for movies. WAF says no to anything bigger than the Take system, so a big sub or floor speakers are out. Budget is "flexible" but I like a good deal (why I got the Take Classics - that and WAF dictated as small a center channel as possible). This is a "bonus room" above the garage and is used mostly for children / cartoon / Wii games, and a movie once a week or so (another reason not to blow a lot of of money here - it's just not going to be used that often). Really not used for music, especially critical listening, though this is where my daughters do sleepovers so I can see them playing dance music here when they become teenagers. I also really like how the Take Classic satellites and sub play together - CNET and Sound&Vision got it right about them being well matched.

But back to the sub, it doesn't quite have the punch I'd like for movies in a room this size, and I also have to twist the gain up almost all the way to sound level match it with the satellites. Maybe it's because that AVR is putting out more watts per channel than the sub's amp can do? anyway, I'm thinking of either getting a second Take Classic 5.1 system to expand to a 7.2 setup, or moving up to an SVS SB1000 (want to keep to about the same 1 cu ft size of the ESW-8 that comes with the Take system). Looking for any thoughts from the experts here - the SB1000 would give me lower frequencies and a lot more power, but I'm concerned about wrecking that nice match I have currently between sats and sub. How important is matching a sat and sub, assuming their frequency response curves have a nice overlap? I also experience dead zones with the current sub, so getting a second ESW-8 would help with that. Getting 2 SB1000's I'm sure would sound great, but I think that's getting into the "wasting money" zone given the intended light usage. Yes, I know, then why did I get a DN1050 when a cheaper AVR would do - because it was on sale and I needed the component connections :)

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.