AVS Forum banner

SVS Soundpath Isolation Feet

26K views 65 replies 40 participants last post by  AlexLac 
#1 ·
I've owned these for about a month now...I must say, I am really impressed by these. They eliminate almost all vibrations in areas that I have struggled to correct. I have a fireplace insert that would rattle to no end. My "sweet spot" for my sub sounds best in a certain spot but it vibrated my fireplace so bad I would have to turn the sub down. Since these have been on, I can watch the opening of Edge of Tomorrow without hearing one vibration! Best $50 I've spent that really made a difference! Highly recommended!

#2 ·
What sub? What is your flooring made of? Did the sub come with rubber feet?

#3 ·
I have an SVS PB-2000. The feet are a hard rubber maybe 1/4" tall. My situation is different than most. I am in a relatively small living room that doesn't have a usable corner at all. The floor is concrete with carpet but the corner fireplace insert goes up about 5 feet and was designed to have your TV on top. Ironically this is my subs sweet spot. The downside was the top of it is framed with drywall. The vibration was horrible obviously. With the isolation feet it has removed 99% of the rattling! These would be a must or an isolation riser would be if you have a subfloor.

#18 ·
I have an SVS PB-2000. The feet are a hard rubber maybe 1/4" tall... With the isolation feet it has removed 99% of the rattling! These would be a must or an isolation riser would be if you have a subfloor.
SVS slaps useless rubber feet which doesn't isolate vibration? I guess the rubber must be those extremely hard type.

I've asked SVS about using the Soundpath feet as isolator for tactile transducer fitted couch. The SVS answer was no.

#4 ·
Be careful, some people will pop in here calling them snake oil or whatever the hell they say. They say you can get the same thing on Amazon for like 25 cents.

No matter, I bought them as well from SVS. If I'm paying $1500 for a sub, I'm okay with another $50 or whatever.

It's on hardwood floor, by the way. A china cabinet is also in the room, so it pretty much takes care of any potential rattle there. Hey, I'm happy with them.

#5 ·
No matter, I bought them as well from SVS. If I'm paying $1500 for a sub, I'm okay with another $50 or whatever.
So basically what your saying is.... if you have a 300 thousand dollar car... the mechanic should charge you a thousand bucks for an oil change? Thats criminal! :D

#9 ·
I've been an SVS owner since the first PB13 ultra came out. I believe in their product and have had nothing but the best experience with them. I've always been treated above average from them and will continue to be a loyal customer. I don't care if somethings better or I could get a similar product for less...they've earned my business. I've tipped more at a restaurant for above average service than I paid for these feet.

#16 ·
I'm interested in these but three things give me pause. First of all they're quite expensive for feet. Second of all I need 7 of them and they only sell them in packs of 4 or 6 (my PC12+ has four feet, my PC Ultra has 3) and for what they cost I'd rather not just have an extra one lying around. Third and finally I've been hearing conflicting reports about these effecting the tactile feeling of good deep bass.

#17 ·
Yea, that tactile feel is nice. I watched Interstellar Tuesday and parts of that literally shook my foundation while the spacecraft was entering the planets atmosphere ....... the craft was bouncing around the screen and I felt like I was there :D

#19 ·
I purchased a set for my dual SB-13Ultras. I like them and feel they did improve vibration and sound (mostly music). There are lots of sound absorber feet and pads out there at all price ranges. I happen to like these.

#25 ·
My setup, FWIW:

This stuff always looks much more spacious in pics, and of course also makes everything look smaller haha. For reference, that's a 60" screen and a PC-13 Ultra.

#26 ·
I have a set i bought for a PB12-NSD, and like them. I live in a tri level with wood subfloors/flooring, and originally concerned that the vibrations radiating through the floor might muddy the sound. I've never A/B tested, but am more than happy with the bass using the feet. Now I just deal with the occassional rattling of hanging picture frames. :)

I bought the PB12-NSD on close out, so I ended up buying the feet and a wireless transmitter at the same time.

The additional bonus is that it raises the 67lb sub a little higher off the floor, making it easier to get my fingers underneath to lift/move. I know one may not move a sub much but I've moved it a half dozen times in the last few months, and sure makes it easier.

Reactions: ChromeJob
#27 ·
Replaced factory feet on SVS PB-2000

Hello all,

I purchased SVS PB2000 recently and ordered the SoundPath Sub
Isolation System.

My sub arrived one day before the sub Isolation system, so first 36 hours I listened with the original factory feet.
I live in a townhouse and subwoofer is on the first floor, located
in the corner. My neighbor's shared wall is about 28 feet away from
the sub.

My Impression: I don't always listen at Reference level and even at
moderately loud volume, I didn't have much issue with vibration or
rattling with the original feet. New feet raised the sub about 1.5 inches off the wood floor. To me the sound is about the same. It's not better or worse in sound quality. At higher volume, it seems to
create somewhat tighter sound with slightly less vibration.

This sub isolation system maybe more helpful if you have the sub
on the second floor or have someone living below you(apt. or condo).

When you install them, make sure you don't overtighten.

Attachments

#28 ·
I am thinking of buying 2 - PSA S1500 subs, and want to replace their feet with these SVS isolation feets but i found out today using the PSA chat session that the SVS feet threading sizes do not fit the PSA S1500 subwoofer threading...
Anyone have a power sound audio sub and are using these SVS feet ??

#29 ·
No need to spend $50 for these feet when you can get it cheaper via google or ebay. Most places sell about less than $3 a piece, and you can go to Home Depot or Lowe's to get the screws to make it fit on any of the subs on the market. I already ordered and waiting for it to come in. I have SVS feet as well and if quality is different I'll post back. Otherwise, save the money and get these instead. They look 95% the same.

Penn-Elcom 9106 Rubber Cabinet Foot 2.5" Dia x 1" H Heavy-duty

#61 ·
No need to spend $50 for these feet when you can get it cheaper via google or ebay. Most places sell about less than $3 a piece, and you can go to Home Depot or Lowe's to get the screws to make it fit on any of the subs on the market. I already ordered and waiting for it to come in. I have SVS feet as well and if quality is different I'll post back. Otherwise, save the money and get these instead. They look 95% the same.

Penn-Elcom 9106 Rubber Cabinet Foot 2.5" Dia x 1" H Heavy-duty
Did you notice a difference between the two?

#31 ·
I know I'm late to the party on this, but this is for people researching this product and not so much for replying to any comment in this thread. I worked as a development engineer for a very prestigious laser company. I did it for 10 years before moving on to another opportunity, at any rate, we would spend up to 2 years developing a product, that's 2 years of salary for a dozen engineers, 6 PhD's, 6 engineering techs, material, equipment, outside testing/analysis, and advisors. Good companies allocate significant capital into their R/D departments to stay competitive. They have to make this money back plus profit, you can call it "ripping off the consumer" but it's not. Svs came up with this price by forecasting how many they will sell in a certain time period, this is the launch period where the price is set, no discounts anywhere even bulk discounts are blocked. They take this forecast and divide it by the total R/D costs, then add the cost per unit and then add whatever their profit margin is (usually 15%). That is their final price for the launch period, after this time period has passed the company evaluates the sales of the product and then determines if they need to discount the price to promote sales to catch up to the forecast, or if sales are on track don't touch the price, but start offering bulk discounts and promo sales. This is not a 9,000% markup for greed, its because they pour money into their R&D and are just making it back. That's just my 2 cents on the subject.

#44 ·
If SVS put 50 person years into R&D for this they need an overhaul. I don't think recouping R&D was a factor at all - I think they just figured this as a relatively low to moderate volume product and took a shot at how high they could price it before sales would be impacted. Not meant as a criticism, it's what I would do too. If you're going to sell 500 units annually for $50, but cutting the price to $25 would only increase sales by 10%, what would you do?

I can't figure out the trend that's been going on here lately with the resurrecting of ancient threads for sometimes mysterious purposes. I'm going to find the Elemental Designs Owners thread and post something - I have an EQ2 laying around somewhere so I'm entitled.

#33 ·
Good afternoon

I have some question regarding the SVS Soundpath Isolation System as I have been considering them. I don't know if I am better off making a new thread or just posting here. I don't want to get into the merits of if they are worth it, I just want to ask some question to determine if I can benefit from them.

We live in a townhouse. Home theater is in the living room on the ground which is on a concrete slab with carpetning. My sub is a PB-2000, which sits in a corner, with one wall opposite a neighbor. I have my system set up pretty much how I like it and things sound great. However the sub can rattle things on the wall opposite the sub, which is the wall behind where I sit. The stairs are behind and to the left of me (kitty corner to the sub) and we have a lot of photos on the wall.

If I am being honest, at first I though that the sub being able to rattle things clear across the room was rather impressive, but now that the novelty has worn off, I realize that is not really a desired effect.

So I was wondering if Isolation Feet could help me? While I am at it, I wonder if they may also have the side effect of reducing noise to my neighbor. The neighbor next door has never actually complained about the noise and I have only ever really cranked things during daytime hours, but if these would have the added effect of reducing vibrations into her unit, that would be a great bonus in addition to hopefully reducing the rattling my sub makes things in our home do.

With me being on concrete/rug, would I even benefit from an Isolation system? I have my eye primarily on the SVS Southpath Isolation System. Also, does using things like these actually impact (negatively) the effect of a sub...like say the vibration of a Dinosaur walking?

Thank you for your help.

#34 ·
I would guess "No." The rattling is possibly the result of reinforcement from walls, not the concrete slab (same as my townhouse), or the air pressure from the sub itself. I'm sure you enjoy it, but i suggest you move the sub a bit farther from the wall/corner, or turn the level down a bit. Unless you're in a really flimsy building, you shouldn't need the sub turned up so much that you have shake, rattle, and roll in the home. IMHO a subwoofer that's turned up too much sacrifices subtlety and accuracy for boom and rumble. Just my two cents.

Disclosure: I don't own this product and haven't tried 'em. :}

#35 ·
Thanks.

I had my notifications for this thread off for some reason and was wondering why no one had replied. I actually decided to order a set this evening to give them a try. I have Amazon Prime so I have nothing to lose. One surefire way to see how they affect my setup is to test them!

#36 ·
Yes please let us know if there is a real difference in your case or not. I am in somewhat a similar situation and wouldn't mind getting a set if they really work. I will be waiting on your results...

#37 ·
I got my SVS Isolation Feet yesterday and spend some time with them. I'm sorry to report they will be going back.

I did some very unscientific A/B testing with scenes I know shake the photos on my walls. First with my PB-2000's stock feet (More like nubs) and then with the Isolation System. I didn't notice it lessening any vibrations even in the slightest. Could be a combo of our condo/concrete/rug/sub placement/etc but in my case I don't think I would benefit from then at all.

Wish I could report more but the testing in my case was pretty cut and dry.

#38 ·
Thank you for your report. I think I am going to pass then. My subs are already sitting on a laminated floor which has cement under it so I highly doubt they will make a difference.

#40 ·
zeonstar;57788440…Could be a combo of our condo/concrete/rug/sub placement/etc but in my case I don't think I would benefit from then at all.[/QUOTE said:
I doubt the concrete or rug are transmitting ULF energy. Again, try moving the sub (or do the full subwoofer crawl) and lowering the gain.

Reactions: darthray
#41 · (Edited)
I doubt the concrete or rug are transmitting ULF energy. Again, try moving the sub (or do the full subwoofer crawl) and lowering the gain.
Very much agree from experience.

While I always did add some type of spike/outrigger on my speakers. On my previous hard floor, and made a small sound improvement.
It did nothing over my carpet floor. While I still do now, just for the look.
Because sound wise, no difference with a floor cover by the carpet.

Energy do not transmit well over a carpet floor, and much less on a concrete one.

I got my SVS Isolation Feet yesterday and spend some time with them. I'm sorry to report they will be going back.

I did some very unscientific A/B testing with scenes I know shake the photos on my walls. First with my PB-2000's stock feet (More like nubs) and then with the Isolation System. I didn't notice it lessening any vibrations even in the slightest. Could be a combo of our condo/concrete/rug/sub placement/etc but in my case I don't think I would benefit from then at all.

Wish I could report more but the testing in my case was pretty cut and dry.

Does not surprise me.

Those insolation feet, work good for improving the sound on a hard floor.
Your carpet and concrete floor, all re-ready taking care of that:)

Your vibration problem cannot be taken of that, with simple insulation feet or outrigger.
Vibration is most likely cause, by some frequencies reacting to your room.
Only settings on your sub/AVR and/or chasing those vibration, to find where they rattle to fix them.
Would solve your vibrations problems.

Ray

#45 · (Edited)
I have a high quality audio system (with HDTV) and found the SVS feet work for me with 68 lb active floorstanders (ATC SCM19A) on medium thickness Berber carpet over a floor that had a few spots of noisy flexing nearby when walking (it’s a condo that I leased then bought and don’t know what’s underneath). Starting from speakers sitting directly on the carpet, I had tried carpet sliders, then Herbie’s Giant Fat Gliders, then the (less expensive) SVS feet. Each change improved bass clarity, along with everything above, giving a more relaxed and smoother presentation overall, the SVS feet offering the greatest change. I haven’t set up my JL Audio e-110 pair yet, but have no reason to expect that the results will be different. Given that the next serious step up are the IsoAcoustics Gaia feet, $199/4 and up, the SVS feet are a real bargain as tweaks go. The pro reviewers that have tried them have reported the same thing with enthusiasm and without qualification, as far as I’ve found. If they don’t work or at least offer noticeable improvement, I would suspect that the problem is most likely elsewhere in the system or with a floor that’s in bad shape - or in the sensitivity of one’s hearing (we’re all different that way).

If your beef is with the nature and workings of capitalism, as much as I sympathize (militantly), audio/video, even on the used market, is not a hobby for you.

#46 ·
I seriously doubt that SVS put any R&D into the Soundpath feet as I'm pretty sure we've established that they probably went to HD and bought those Penn-Elcom feet and hot glued them into a plastic thingy.

Either way, they do look good and I would love to see room measurements if anyone feels inclined to do so.

#47 ·
They didn’t glue them to a “plastic thingy” cause the rubber is attached to metal.

I live in an apartment with ****ty thin carpet and almost no pad, so I added the svs feet and while I haven’t noticed any acoustic changes, I can no longer feel bass in the carpet around my subwoofers. My main goals were just to reduce the false tactile sensation and reduce sound transmitted to my neighbors. I feel like both of these were accomplished.

I can’t speak for SVS subs as I don’t know what kind of feet they start with, but my funks had very short plastic feet with a rubber oring. The original feel we’re so short such that the carpet was in contact with the bottom of the sub and it looked like there were no feet at all.

For my particular circumstances it was a totally worthwhile $100 upgrade for my funk 18.0c’s.

I’m not sure how many of you have actually seen them, but they are quite substantial. Sure they may be a bit marked up, but it’s nothing compared to things like high end cables.

What it really comes down to is what your goals are and how expensive you consider $50, I’m quite happy with what I got for my money.

#49 ·
When you buy a set of these for $50 remember you're paying not only for the footers but also for the cost of doing business. You have free freight, both ways if you want to return them, credit card processing fees, accounting costs, warehouse costs, labor to pack and ship, freight costs from the factory to SVS. Oh and profit. SVS is not a charity. You get excellent customer service, they have to pay those people too.

If you think they are over priced and you can do it better go ahead. Heck if you can do that make more and sell them here in classified. If they don't work for you send them back, no charge. How many companies do that?

Me, I have 4 sets of them for my 2 SB2000's and my 2 NSD SB12's. I find they work for me. The NSD SB12's are set up in a room over my kitchen and they definitely lower they sound you hear in the kitchen. If they didn't work for me I would have sent them back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.