Definitive Technology Pro-Sub 800 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By dsrussell
  • 1 Post By lovinthehd

post #1 of 12 Old 04-13-2015, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Definitive Technology Pro-Sub 800

I just bought as an open box and im regretting right away. Anyone else have one?

It really doesnt seem any better than my Polk PSW108, in fact I think the polk might be better. First issue right off the bat is watching Interstellar to try it out, with the down firing passive radiator the speaker is literally all over the floor and I have hardwood floors. The grille rattles, I had to remove it. I bought it for its size, power and freq response which Is supposed to get down to 20hz vs the 37 of my polk. Im really considering taking it back to best buy for maybe a martin logan dynamo 500 or my local best buy has a open box klipsch r-12sw for close to what I paid for the DT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-13-2015, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 862
Do take it back. Def Tech frequency response specifications are pie-in-the-sky exaggerations. The Klipsch would certainly be an upgrade, but you need to look a bit further and not buy in a rush. What is the size of your room (volume) and is it closed off or open to other rooms? If open, how large is that room?

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-13-2015, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Its a small bedroom maybe 12x12, the Polk is almost plenty for it, but when I was at Magnolia they had a 10" Bowers and Wilkins that I was just amazed by the sound I felt from it in the studio room. I was hoping id get the same from the DT. I jus like the size of the DT cause space is at a premium.If the Klipsch would be better I will probably just take this back and get that instead.
post #4 of 12 Old 04-13-2015, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 862
Again, don't be in a rush. Bad decisions are made by being in a hurry.

If you need a small, powerful sub, then the SVS SB-1000 should do well in your tiny room. It costs $500. SVS will ship it for free, give you a 45-day trial period, and will ship it back to SVS free of charge. It also comes with one of the best warranties in the business (5 years): http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/sb-1000 Also check out their outlet store.
mars5l likes this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-13-2015, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 1600
Yep time to get away from the cheap B&M subs. Those DefTec things barely qualify as subwoofers. The SVS suggested for your purposes sounds good. Get your money back from BB and go ID!
mars5l likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-13-2015, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

I read the praise for SVS, but I have a credit card with best buy and trying to fix my credit so im pretty much stick with them. Im going to give this DT a few days, ive removed the grilled and bought a rug to put under it. I would think any downfiring sub is going to vibrate across the floor, even my front firing polk would move while watching interstellar. Watching Star Wars ROTJ, it sounds like a great sub and that was before a rug. It had a great punch that I wanted while Jabba was talking. If not I will just the Klipsch
post #7 of 12 Old 04-13-2015, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5l View Post
I read the praise for SVS, but I have a credit card with best buy and trying to fix my credit so im pretty much stick with them. Im going to give this DT a few days, ive removed the grilled and bought a rug to put under it. I would think any downfiring sub is going to vibrate across the floor, even my front firing polk would move while watching interstellar. Watching Star Wars ROTJ, it sounds like a great sub and that was before a rug. It had a great punch that I wanted while Jabba was talking. If not I will just the Klipsch
Whoa...save up and pay cash, dude! Can't fix credit by buying more stuff you haven't paid for. Preaching over. Better built sub cabinets don't go anywhere but on a teflon floor all bets are off. Best design is dual opposed for an inert cabinet. As far as keeping a sub from moving, a rug or piece of foam or similar can do fine.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-13-2015, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Whoa...save up and pay cash, dude! Can't fix credit by buying more stuff you haven't paid for. Preaching over. Better built sub cabinets don't go anywhere but on a teflon floor all bets are off. Best design is dual opposed for an inert cabinet. As far as keeping a sub from moving, a rug or piece of foam or similar can do fine.

You cant build credit by buying everything with cash.

The DT fits perfectly between my tv stand and my computer desk. Anything larger and id have to re-arrange the whole bedroom and ditch the computer desk or put a sub in the closet
post #9 of 12 Old 04-14-2015, 03:02 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 99
best buys is selling a few of the svs subs, see if they can get you the 1000
post #10 of 12 Old 04-14-2015, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

must be an instore thing as I cant find them on their site?
post #11 of 12 Old 04-14-2015, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

:
Quote:
You cant build credit by buying everything with cash.

The DT fits perfectly between my tv stand and my computer desk. Anything larger and id have to re-arrange the whole bedroom and ditch the computer desk or put a sub in the closet
Quote:
must be an instore thing as I cant find them on their site?
You can by being selective about what you use credit for....buying audio gear on credit wasn't ever on my radar, always paid cash as I did for most everything. YMMV may vary depending whether you are seeking to be in debt all the time as the credit industry would like you to be or staying debt-free. Debt free is far more important than consumer credit in my book. Really done preaching now.

The small form factor of the DT makes it fit, but prevents it from performing well....read about Hoffman's Iron Law http://www.salksound.com/wp/?p=56.

The SVS deal was I think with the Magnolia division and didn't pan out from what I can tell....
post #12 of 12 Old 04-14-2015, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

yea I even checked the best market place incase someone was selling it that way for SVS but I didn't see them listed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page