Sunfire True Subwoofer repair? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-16-2015, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sunfire True Subwoofer repair?

My faithful Sunfire True subwoofer has started acting up. The unit has developed high resistance across the speaker coil and is making the amp plate run hot. Does anyonee have a repair source for these? I haave an email in to Frank Malitz on this. Any other repair or replacement resources out there fore the 10" driver? This one on Parts Express seemed like a decent replacement with good reviews but apparently is no longeer in production:

http://www.parts-express.com/hivi-sp...oofer--297-460

Are there any others out there, repair or replacement that anyone has tried and can recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2015, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 132
sadly, you are out of luck... AFAIK, you cannot find replacement drivers for the Sunfires. The sub gotta be approaching 20 years old now. Time for a new one...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Old 04-17-2015, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This driver HST11 from Stereo Integrity is not a replacement for your Sunfire but I would seriously take a look at building your own as this small beast is designed to fit a small sealed enclosure and give great results. A dual opposed (2 drivers) could be a higher performance option.

http://stereointegrity.com/product/hst11-11-subwoofer/
Old 04-23-2015, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 27
MikeTyler. I have a 20+ year old Sunfire amp in a 8 cubic foot ported box with 15" driver. The amp is still going strong. If you can contact a place that repairs Sunfire subwoofers, they might be able to tell you (based on Thiele/Small parameters) if there is a suitable replacement driver.

Jon S. Was your information from contacting an actual Sunfire source or some other suitable source of expertise? If you have more details, then you can more specifics to MikeTyler why he might not be able to get a suitable replacement driver.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I got the information from Rita's Vintage Audio repair who did Sunfire repairs... I believe Bob Carver was affiliated with that company as well after he sold Carver and Sunfire. That's why some owners bought the HiVi SP10 sub drivers from Parts Express as a substitute but apparently it was not a 100% match. Either way, the point is moot as the drivers are NLA.

Unfortunately, Rita's closed down last year but I understand one of the employees took over the business (Flannery's Vintage Audio Repair) with Bob's blessings but he only does repairs on the sub amps and receivers.

If you contact Sunfire directly, they will tell you that the components are no longer available but they will sell you a new sub at a discounted price.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Old 07-30-2015, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Try http://www.flannerysvintageaudio.com/

I had my old original Sunfire True Subwoofer repaired this month by Bill and couldn't be happier. It was gathering dust with a very nasty hum that I could not get ride of. It's now working better than new. No more hum at all; just on-demand room shaking bass. Prices are on his website.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement