AVS Forum banner

Official Deep Sea Sound Thread

189K views 2K replies 176 participants last post by  clayopp123 
#1 · (Edited)
Since I have been enjoying these subs in my room for several months now and that the company is currently showing at Axpona, I thought it was time for an official thread.

The website should be live soon and David will chime in on availability.

Previously I had a total of 8 - SI18's in my room and they were in 4 DO cabinets.
Now I have dual 24's up front and the performance is AMAZING...

http://deepseasound.com/

This picture shows the grills. The LCR's are Seaton Catalyst 12's...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Since I have been enjoying these subs in my room for several months now and that the company is currently showing at Axpona, I thought it was time for an official thread.

The website should be live soon and David will chime in on availability.

Previously I had a total of 8 - SI18's in my room and they were in 4 DO cabinets.
Now I have dual 24's up front and the performance is AMAZING...

http://deepseasound.com/

The picture is without the grills and my LCR's are Seaton Catalyst 12's...
SWEET!! I can see grown men drooling and small children cowering in the corner when those bad boys get going. :eek:;):D

#5 ·
Here is a picture showing one with the grill on and one with the grill off.
Any thought to putting dual 24's in the back of your room, for a nice quad setup?

#10 ·
The dimensions of those are:
37"H x 38" w x 22"D

He made those to fit my space and I don't know what the exact dimensions will be. My guess is, he will have a couple options.
Thanks for sharing--the cabinet isn't as large as I thought it would be!

They're going to be way outside my budget at the moment; but, I'm still super excited to learn more about these beasts!

#14 ·
Here are some pictures I managed to get today at AXPONA. I am not a good photographer, and these pictures do not do justice to how nice these subs really look, so don't judge the finish of the subs by my photos. Hopefully the Deep Sea Sound (love that name!) website will get some good pics of these:

The dude at the end is David Gage, who runs Deep Sea Sound, a cool and easy-going guy. Nick from Stereo Integrity (he makes the driver) was there, and he was also a friendly and relaxed guy to talk with, although he was not in room when I was getting these pics. The speakers were a JTR model which used 12" woofers, but I can't recall the model name. The sub under it is a mid bass module using a JBL 2225 woofer- nice! The subwoofer on the left side is the Mariana 24SC, which has a 28" x 28" x 27" cabinet. The right side one is the Mariana 24SR, which is shallower but taller at 28" x 37.7" x 21.3". They are both the same except for the cabinet dimensions. The have a 4 kW (continuous, not peak) SpeakerPower plate amp.

The bass sound was amazing in quantity and excellent in quality. We played the pods rising scene from War of the Worlds, and the bass was crunchy and articulate, not a muddy rumble like how some other systems render that scene. And of course, the bass was FELT, not just heard. We couldn't play it too loud as there was a loudness limit at the audio show, but I have a feeling Dave and Nick might just have slightly exceeded that limit, just a little bit. But the two 24" subs completely owned in that small hotel room, it created an absolutely gigantic sound. Words can not do justice to the experience, it is truly epic. These subs were producing monster bass, but the cones were hardly moving at all- it was a totally effortless sound. It is terrifying to think what these subs could do without the social restraints of being exhibited in an high-end audiophile convention.

These subs are a bit pricey at $4k each, but considering the sheer amount of air displacement on tap, they are a bargain when looked at from the perspective of dollar per dB. For sealed subs it would be rivaled only by the JTR S2 and Funk 18.2 as far as displacement goes, at least if I have done my math right. Dave mentioned using one as an endtable, which has to be a staggering experience. This really would be the ultimate end-table subwoofer.

#26 ·
Dave and Nick were extremely friendly and very helpful. The 24" subs they had at axpona sounded beautiful! These subs put out extreme bass! They were one of my favorites at the axpona show!
I thought it was dgage that started up deepseasound. I remember him posting in another thread awhile back he was going to start building subs. Congrats on the new business and good luck with your future endeavors. :)
David, big time congrats on the launch of your company. Coach was raving about them when I saw him last week.
Guys, thank you so much for the congratulations and support. I haven't had much sleep preparing for Axpona and then exhibiting but the energy I received from the people at the show and these posts has been phenomenal. Thanks so much!

#18 · (Edited)
I'm glad David was there for the photo shoot. Thanks for the initial impressions. We are going to change things up a bit tomorrow and only run one subwoofer like we did for Friday. Two 24's in that small of a room is totally overkill and doesn't show what David's Deep Sea Sound suboofer was built/designed for. At the loud(er) level with both subs running today we saw maybe 0.5" of travel out of one sub.

Here are some pictures I took today:

#20 ·
Just a thought:

I know there are grills for the subs, but a lot of people like to run their subs without them. A trim ring to cover all of the screw heads and mounting flange would improve the appearance drastically. They really detract from the aesthetics of the subs. It would give the subs a much more polished, high end appearance.

At a bare minimum, at least use black screws/bolts, so they blend better.

Other than that, I imagine they are very impressive at full tilt!

#28 ·
Just a thought:

I know there are grills for the subs, but a lot of people like to run their subs without them. A trim ring to cover all of the screw heads and mounting flange would improve the appearance drastically. They really detract from the aesthetics of the subs. It would give the subs a much more polished, high end appearance.

At a bare minimum, at least use black screws/bolts, so they blend better.

Other than that, I imagine they are very impressive at full tilt!
Thanks for the feedback. I usually switch all of them out with black bolts but obviously picked up a subwoofer I hadn't modified yet. Nick at SI provides stainless steel bolts but I switch them to black and provide the stainless in the box as an option.

Interesting idea on the trim ring. I like the cool mounting clamps but I can see your point. I will work on something. Again, thanks for the feedback. I have an undergrad and masters in Industrial Engineering and one of the key pillars is continuous improvement. So keep the ideas coming.

Reactions: ahblaza
#22 ·
David, big time congrats on the launch of your company. Coach was raving about them when I saw him last week.

#27 · (Edited)
And oh yeah, the initial crack at the website should be operational as soon as the old interwebs propagate the domain name server changes. So keep checking as it should be live soon. More pages, better pictures, and online ordering will be added over the next few weeks.

EDIT - Well, DNS was taking too long to propagate so I reverted back to the old site. I'll try again in the wee hours of the morning.

#39 ·
I'd like to see that too...want me to build you a custom one? :D But I promise it would be a one-off creation...I'm still tired and sore from moving the single versions around. I really didn't think this business through because if I had realized how often I'd have to move big sub drivers and big enclosures, I would have likely stopped in my tracks. :)

#43 ·
I was going to answer your question via PM but might as well answer it here. I built the first couple by hand and as I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, would have not been able to actually start the company doing it manually. Besides being too time consuming, the quality wouldn't have been up to my standards. So I definitely use a CNC as that is the only way to get the quality I expect as well as the efficiency to make it a viable business.

#45 ·
David, I'm really to see that you finally have things up and running! Congrats!
Thanks Jbrown! It has been a long time coming but I'm excited it's finally here. My first show was a lot of fun...I met many great people, based on some posts, also many AVSers that didn't introduce themselves as AVSers. :) The best were the repeat visitors like ShadyJ and a group of 3 guys that brought their own music. I gave the remote over on Saturday and they were rocking out to quite a few songs...good time. But even better, on Sunday at the end of the day they asked themselves where they most wanted to go and out of all of the rooms, they came back to mine. Sunday was a little slow so it was great of them to come back and once again, I gave them the remote, and they proceeded to put some great demo material through the system. After the same movie clips over and over, some good music was a welcome reprieve. They could have gone back to any room but they chose mine, I really appreciated that!

#51 ·
Subs look great. Congratulations. They're too pricey and heavy for me, but I'm sure they're worth every penny.
Thank you both very much!

Two things on price. First, the 24" subs are $4,000 each but I also offer an 18" sub for $2,600, which uses the same sub motor and 4,000 watt amp. Second, if you contact me and let me know you're from AVS, you will get a discount. I am knowledgeable but just because I started a business doesn't mean I know everything. My knowledge has grown considerably thanks to AVS and I still have much to learn from AVS; I feel it is my duty to give back.

#54 ·
Are you referring to the Capital Audiofest? Gary Gill stopped by my room and mentioned the show in DC but it was the first I had heard of it. I was going to ask around about it so I'm glad you brought the show up. Is it a good show with good traffic? If you think it is worth my time, I'll make it happen if at all possible.

#55 ·
Any AVSer who lives between San Diego and LA needs to see these subs for themselves when they hit the T.H.E Show Newport in Irvine next month. Not just to witness some unbelievable subs, but to brag about being at ground zero when Dave triggers a tectonic plate shift at the San Andreas fault line when he lets his subs off the leash. If the west coast sinks into the Pacific due to a massive earthquake at the end of May, we will know who to blame, Dave! :D

#56 ·
The moment you mentioned this show (in another thread) I went to the website to buy tickets and started thinking about what other AVSers would be there. I cannot explain my disappointment at the fact that I'll be on the East Coast for a business event in Florida during the show.

Here's hoping that there's something happening in the Bay Area soon! :D