Thoughts on the Bic America V 1220? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2015, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thoughts on the Bic America V 1220?

Okay I'm having a hard time finding a review of this subwoofer from someone who's experienced with subwoofers. I recently just purchased this sub for $189and I've been wondering, did I make the right choice? At first I had the Polk Audio PSW108 and that was my first sub, but the chuffing noise was ridiculous so I turned it back in, after that I started reading online to see what good budget subwoofers were out there and i came to the conclusion of either the F12 or the Dayton Audio Sub 1500. The V1220 seemed similar enough so i got that since I saw that at the lowest price compared to the F12. Some Suggestions maybe? (under $250 range)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ChristopherBrown
... Some Suggestions maybe? (under $250 range)
NXG NX-BAS-500 - currently $215, shipped, at amazon.com. Here is a good review of it.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
NXG NX-BAS-500 - currently $215, shipped, at amazon.com. Here is a good review of it.
Thanks man, I'll be sure to order this the second I get the money, I just now started getting into audio, I have 2 shelf systems with a terrible sub but suprisingly good bookshelf speakers, once i get rid of those I'll use the money to get those and some good bookshelf speakers or some towers.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Stay away from the NX-BAS-500. NXG has stopped producing them and they have a rather high rate of failure/malfunction. They were as low as $170 recently, but I wouldn't touch one for even that price.

I have owned the V-1220 and the V-1020, both of which are good budget subs. The V-1220 is at least as good or better than the F12. I actually found the V-1020 to be very close to the V-1220 in output and extension. Certainly not as good as the lowest priced ID subs, but then again, those start at around $500.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
Stay away from the NX-BAS-500. NXG has stopped producing them and they have a rather high rate of failure/malfunction. They were as low as $170 recently, but I wouldn't touch one for even that price.

I have owned the V-1220 and the V-1020, both of which are good budget subs. The V-1220 is at least as good or better than the F12. I actually found the V-1020 to be very close to the V-1220 in output and extension. Certainly not as good as the lowest priced ID subs, but then again, those start at around $500.
Thanks man, I had seen this sub when u was researching the f12 and it seemed too good to be true. I have a V220 on the way and I'm not sure what to expect as my only other powered sub I had heard was a Polk audio psw108 which was pretty good to me for being able to go down to 30ish hz. My room is pretty small, probably 13?12?11 and I need something to fill the room up without me feeling like it's going to blow up.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

I actually just sold my V-1020 on craigslist for $100. I had too many subs and either it or the Jamo sub360 needed to go. The V-1020 sold first. I think you'll be happy with the V-1220 in a small room at that price. Output is pretty impressive for a smaller sized 12" sub. Extension will get you down to maybe 27-28 Hz, but won't have much below that. If you want something to deliver down to 20Hz or lower, you have to spend quite a bit more.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
I actually just sold my V-1020 on craigslist for $100. I had too many subs and either it or the Jamo sub360 needed to go. The V-1020 sold first. I think you'll be happy with the V-1220 in a small room at that price. Output is pretty impressive for a smaller sized 12" sub. Extension will get you down to maybe 27-28 Hz, but won't have much below that. If you want something to deliver down to 20Hz or lower, you have to spend quite a bit more.
I appreciate it man! My next sub will probably be a svs or Hsu (something in the $400-$700 range) so I just need something to fill in the lows that the ****ty sub that came with the stereo shelf system can't do (>50hz). The V220 should do perfectly for right now especially if it performs better than that Polk.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
NOW $150 at NewEgg.com. Cheaper than when I first sat it on Amazon, cheaper than it was on NewEgg several weeks ago. Based on Jim's review, that's a steal.

But....

There are repeated references to "some people are reporting problems." I haven't seen any of these posts, so maybe it's rumor mill, or gossip, or urban myth. Or not. I believe it has been confirmed that NXG is discontinuing this model, so the pricing we see is no doubt "closeout" pricing.

There are also complaints of NXG support. Again, I haven't read any first hand accounts.

If you DO take this bargain opportunity, I would buy it from a retailer that will take a return if it's faulty. E.g. New Egg.

“Toby! I got me a regular Ben-Hur down here...”
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 07-28-2015 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Addendum; correction
Old 07-28-2015, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
I'm the guy who wrote the review eljay provided you a link to, and I definitely wouldn't suggest you look past one if you can get it for $200 or less. It was even a good deal at it's original selling price of $250.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Old 07-28-2015, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Quote:
I'm the guy who wrote the review eljay provided you a link to, and I definitely wouldn't suggest you look past one if you can get it for $200 or less. It was even a good deal at it's original selling price of $250.
I appreciate the suggestion. It all depends on what my budget looks like next time I go on my upgrading spree for subwoofers. If I do get those I'll probably get 2 or just get the PB 2000 and be done with upgrading these heavy suckers all the time. Would you know how it compares to the bic america f12 or v1220?
Old 07-28-2015, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
See edited post above. Is it worth it for a potentially faulty unit at $150?

A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
NOW $150 at NewEgg.com. Cheaper than when I first sat it on Amazon, cheaper than it was on NewEgg several weeks ago. Based on Jim's review, that's a steal.

But....

There are repeated references to "some people are reporting problems." I haven't seen any of these posts, so it's rumor mill, or gossip, or urban myth.
Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean it's gossip or myth . There are plenty of current reviews reporting problems on NewEgg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0WP-0060-00001, as well as a number of reports of the sub "dying" within months on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/NXG-Technology...DateDescending.

If you get a good one it's a great deal for $152 shipped. If you get a bad one however...
Old 07-28-2015, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
See edited post above. Is it worth it for a potentially faulty unit at $150?
I still think it's a deal worth considering.

The failure rate does appear higher than other subs in the category, but a purchase from Newegg partially mitigates that; if there's a problem within the first few weeks they swap it for a new one. After that you probably have to deal with NXG, and as mentioned they have proven less than responsive to some (not all, but some). And let's face it, people will write negative reviews 10x more than positive ones. It's human nature. The positive comments and reviews have been quite prevalent.

I wrote my review over 2 years ago, and that unit is still going strong to this very day.
dsrussell and ChromeJob like this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite

Last edited by JimWilson; 07-28-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 9
IDK too many bad reviews for me to gamble thats for sure...

Yeah there could be 1 good and 10 bad..who knows..

Newegg has a klipsch KSW12 for 169 IDK if thats any good...
Old 07-28-2015, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

All good points. I left out a conditional statement that maybe the bad reports are ... well they're anecdotal. But the negative reports on Amazon (most recent 2 pages) include many verified purchases.

Boy, those reviews on NewEgg ... O_o. Seems QC has gone to the dogs with that company. True, purchasers of lemons are more likely to post a "warning" review than happy campers, but so many "stopped working" and "developed hum" reports in 6ix weeks on a single site indicates either a bad batch, or rotten QC at NXG. Sad, if true. I almost bought one o' those in March.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Just now got my Bic America V 1220 and couldn't be happier. At first I thought it was underpowered because I had turn it to 7 out of 10, but after putting a slab of wood under it (my floor is carpet) and finding the perfect spot for it, it's a dream and hits lows I've never heard before. It actually gets down in the mid 20 Hz range , in my 11?12?13 (about the size) room. Any lower and I can't really hear it but I can feel it and so can theasily rattling objects in my room.
MIX_MASTER_ICE likes this.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ChristopherBrown View Post
Just now got my Bic America V 1220 and couldn't be happier. At first I thought it was underpowered because I had turn it to 7 out of 10, but after putting a slab of wood under it (my floor is carpet) and finding the perfect spot for it, it's a dream and hits lows I've never heard before. It actually gets down in the mid 20 Hz range , in my 11?12?13 (about the size) room. Any lower and I can't really hear it but I can feel it and so can theasily rattling objects in my room.
Glad to hear you are happy with the V-1220. It's a great little sub and is a little better for home theater than the similar Bic F12. I have always preferred down-firing over front-firing and actually point my front firing subs towards a wall in most instances. I was very surprised with what it and it's little brother (V-1020) could pump out.