HSU Research VTF-15H MK2 or Dual Subs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By basshead81
  • 1 Post By basshead81

post #1 of 10 Old Today, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HSU Research VTF-15H MK2 or Dual Subs

Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my subwoofer setup and need some tips/suggestions. I've currently got a dual setup consisting of an SVS PB-1000 and BIC Acoustech PL-200. The PL-200 is really holding back my system i.e. port noise and rattling during intense scenes. The viewing area is about 16'x22'x7' that opens up to the rest of the basement which is about 2 times the viewing area.

What I'm considering is selling both of my current subs and buying a VTF-15H MK2, or just selling the PL-200 and getting another PB-1000. In the end, what I'm really looking for is having a setup within the $1000 range. Do you think I'll be happier having smoother response throughout the viewing area with duals, or having the shear power of the MK2?

I'm open to any other suggestions as well, but I want to keep it around $1000. I'm also in no rush to purchase, I will purchase whenever I am able to sell what I have.

The rest of my setup consists of a 5 SVS Prime Satellites powered by a Sony STR-DN1030.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Today, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 2695
If you have no intentions of adding another VTF15.2 down the road then I would add another PB1000. Smooth bass is more enjoyable imo.

To be honest tho I would probably sell both of your subs and grab a pair of Rythmik LV12's or VTF-2 MK4's.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #3 of 10 Old Today, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 107
To best answer your question, I'd run the PB1000 alone to see how it does, both in terms of output and providing a smooth response in your listening area. If big output is your goal, I'd also look to upgrading your speakers, as compact satellites can only give so much even when backed by a subwoofer.
post #4 of 10 Old Today, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

I do intend on purchasing another VTF-15H MK2 down the line, but that wouldn't be for another year or so. I took a look at the LV12 and VTF-2 MK4 and they look enticing. Will those setups outperform dual PB-1000's by a lot?

I did run the PB-1000 by itself for quite some time and the output was good,but not spectacular. Smoothness throughout the seats was okay, but it was much better with dual subs. I want to feel the bass in my bones when explosions happen or when giant robots fight giant monsters, but it's not there with the PB-1000. I feel a rumble in my seat, but not enough to excite me. I plan on upgrading my speakers down the line as well, but also not for 6 months or so.
post #5 of 10 Old Today, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I would guess that the LV12 and VTF-2 have a 1-2db advantage around 20hz, but significantly more as you get above 30hz. 30-80hz is the most commonly used bass range for subs, so yes I would think the performance difference would noticeable.

On a side note, adding another PB1000 will add 4-6db db of extra headroom at the listening position depending on placement. So if you think one sounds pretty good now adding the second will be a drastic improvement.
Markky likes this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #6 of 10 Old Today, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Getting a single PB-1000 would definitely be my cheapest and easiest option to pull off, but getting that extra performance from the LV12's or MK4's is really tempting as well.

I think Steve brought up a good point about upgrading my satellites. I guess getting a VTF-15H MK2 would just be a bad move if my satellites wouldn't be able to blend well at the crossover frequency, so I might as well scratch that off my list.

So I guess now my dilemma would be deciding between dual PB-1000's or the other subs you suggested basshead. I'll have to give it some thought, but until then I'm open to any other suggestions.
post #7 of 10 Old Today, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

There really is no other suggestions for the budget you have to work with. I would add the 2nd PB-1000 and see how it works out. If you still want more then you can simply return the 1 PB and sell the other then step up to the next level of ID subs. I would not hesitate to utilize the free trial period that a few of these Internet Direct companies(SVS, RA, PSA) offer.

To be honest if you could bump the budget up some I would see if SVS would work with you trading in the PB-1000 and on a pair of PB2000's for 1499.00. If they would give you 450.00 on trade and you sell the PL-200 for 150.00 that would put you right around a 900.00. This would kind upgrade would be much more noticeable then going from a PB1000 to a LV12 or VTF-2 anyway and it would be less hassle in the long run.
Markky likes this.

post #8 of 10 Old Today, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Man $1499 is pushing it, but I could save up another month since it sounds like it would be worth it, especially if SVS would take back my PB-1000. Thanks for your advice basshead. I think I will go the dual PB-2000 route. If I can remember to I will update the thread with the results.
post #9 of 10 Old Today, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds good keep us updated

post #10 of 10 Old Today, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markky View Post
...I want to feel the bass in my bones when explosions happen or when giant robots fight giant monsters, but it's not there with the PB-1000. I feel a rumble in my seat, but not enough to excite me. I plan on upgrading my speakers down the line as well, but also not for 6 months or so.
No question, go with the single VTF-15H MK2 and position it to get what you are looking for in the sweet spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers