AVS Forum banner

Need usd$500 subwoofer for small room

887 views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  grasshoppers 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am looking for a subwoofer for a small room (around 80 square feet).

My budget is around usd$500.

I am looking the svs 1000, but i would like to hear another alternatives from people who knows better.

Diy is also an alternative, but in my country i can't get good drivers, only car audio ones and some from Eminence.

I have 4x Cambridge Audio Minx Min 22 for fron, central and surround and 2x Min 11 for fron height, connected to a Pioneer Vsx924.

I use my system only for movies and games. Also the footprint of the subwoofer shpuld be as small as possible because of the size of my apartment and the wife approval factor.

Looking forward for your reply!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
I really don’t think you can go wrong with the SVS SB-1000 for that room and for your $500 budget. Don’t like it? Ship it back and you are out nothing but your time. I bought an SB-1000 for my son to use in his home office. Quite impressive in a small room.

You might also check out Rythmik and Hsu. The RBH/EMP Tek probably has the most beautiful sub, but carries only a one-year warranty (unless you buy an add-on warranty).

Reactions: Ted Sheckler
#5 ·
Which 'country'??? Might make a difference
On what is suggested.

Reactions: dsrussell
#7 ·
#8 ·
Considering they charge $90 to ship it to Canada, I would imagine Chile is going to be way too expensive.

I think considering your location, the SVS SB-1000 would be a good choice for a small room.

#16 ·
If Rythmik L12 has the similar advantage over SB-1000 as LV-12R over PB-1000, then get Rythmik L12.

Since OP is in Chile, a lot of SVS's perks is moot.

#18 ·
1-.SVS SB-2000 shipping dimensions (USD$699 with free shipping)
Length: 21”
Width: 20”
Height: 23”
Weight: 51lbs

2-. SVS SB-1000 shipping dimensions (USD$499 with free shipping)
Depth: 18”
Width: 18”
Height: 19”
Weight: 34lbs

3-. Rythmik L12 shipping dimensions (USD$ $539 with free shipping)
Lenght 20"
Widht 20"
Height 21"
Weight: 58 lb.

4-. Rythmik DS1200 CI Kit with A370PEQ3 DIY KIT shipping dimensions (USD$599 + shipping):
Lenght 16"
Widht 16"
Height 16"
Weight: 40 lb.

I thing the fight is between the SB1000 and the L12...

How about the L12? Is really a 14" cube? Because it seems that the driver is 14"... consider my room is small. What do you think?
Is the L12 far superior than the SB1000?

#19 ·
I thing the fight is between the SB1000 and the L12...

How about the L12? Is really a 14" cube? Because it seems that the driver is 14"... consider my room is small. What do you think?
Is the L12 far superior than the SB1000?
The L12 use a 12"driver.
14.5x14x15"-includes feet,and front grill.

The L12 will outperform the SB1000.
See post #7 above (the link)
My opinion

#21 ·
I think it will blend nicely. When using
The LFE input response will be flat to
Almost 200hz. Certainly high enough for
Your Minx.

Looks like my iPad rotated the pic.
The grill has the flashlight beam on it.
It extends about a half inch from
The cabinet

Attachments

#23 ·
Thanks for the picture. From what I've read in Rythmik thread and here, the L12 will surely bring my little apartment down, and it will be great when I upgrade my system.

Sadly there is not much reference for the L12 online. But I am almost decided to go with the L12 only guided by the things said in this thread...

Thank you all for the help.

#22 ·
Given all the variables, I'd have to go with the L12 too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.