AVS Forum banner

New Subwoofer Recommendation

962 views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  gkf15 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been reading a lot of posts and reviews, and in case I find a great deal on Black Friday I want to be ready to move.

Budget - $500 - 1000

Size Requirements - hopefully no more than 18" wide. Height isn't a problem, and I can go at lest 24" deep. My HT is in my living room, so the smaller the sub, the more options I have for placement/aesthetics.

Room Dimensions - 17x14x8. The wall to the right has a 6' opening to a 12x12x8 room (solid for 3' before the opening). Behind the main seating area has a 6' opening to the foyer/stairs to 2nd floor.

Primary use - 65% HT, 35% music.

Listening Habits - Close to reference levels for HT, probably a little less for music.

Appearance - Not too fussy, as long as it's not ugly. Different wood finish/veneers a bonus.

Time Frame - Ready to buy, but not in a rush. A few weeks lead time isn't a problem.

I haven't read anything terribly bad about any of the models I'm considering. All have positive comments, but they are rarely compared to each other, so I can't compare strengths/weakness's. I guess I'd prefer if you could help me eliminate a few models if possible. I'm leaning to ported for the low bass output, but not opposed to sealed.

SVS PB1000 x 2 - $950 smaller, more placement options, better chance to bass blending for music.

SVS PB 2000 $800

Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12 $639 - can be 2 for $1000 on sale

HSU VTF-15H MK2 $900

HSU VTF-15H $880 same as above with a smaller amp, but available in rosenut

HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP $800

Power Sound Audio - V1500 $1100 (XV15 se listed for $900, but looks no longer available?)

Rythmik Audio - FVX15 $1000, not sure how to compare Direct Servo to other subs?

Reaction Audio - Echo 15 $1000

Am I missing any major contenders? Like I said, I've read very good things about all of these subs. What features/qualities should I be looking at to better help me decide?

A pair of the Outlaws might be a great option - duals for smoother bass, and two 12's might give me the most low bass output?

See less See more
#2 ·
total space wise you have a large area to fill. Hang loose and see what deals are to be had for Thanksgiving weekend. It's looking like SVS will be having a sale and some others like Reaction Audio will likely also have a sale.

#4 ·
SVS SB-12 NSD on sale for $399 each, two for $798. Was thinking ported, but two 12" for $800 is a great deal. Don't see any info on the site - assuming it's an older model?

Reactions: fl81
#7 ·
I wouldn't roll with two SB12-NSD subs in your situation. I had one and it's a good little sub, but not great for home theater usage and not good for larger areas.

#9 ·
Well he does a decent amount of music listening, and isn't in a very large room. I think they would work well and he would have very clean and accurate bass. And if he decides he wants more bass, then SVS will have them shipped back free of charge and he can try a bigger ported sub.

Reactions: Squirrel!
#8 · (Edited)
For that room size, 15 inch ported would probably serve you best if a single subwoofer (and as Mix Master Ice added, even two of the 12 inch sealed would probably not be enough.)

On 15 ported:

Rythmik FVX12 is $910 shipped on special now (or was.) The HSU VTF3-MK5 is around $900 shipped. Those two are probably comparable in output. The PSA V1500 would have a little more output than those two but would be almost $200 more but better warranty. Reaction Audio Echo 15 , with same warranty as PSA, would have same to slightly more output than the PSA V1500 and cost $100 less, but they are usually backorder for over month. If you are willing to wait on backorder, that would probably be the best deal for you. Also, PSA might have a b-stock V1500 for around $1000 - call to see.

#12 ·
Outlaw is running two Ultra X-12's for $1000. Really considering that or the Hsu VTF-15H MK2 for close to the same price (since Hsu doesn't give free shipping). Other than the smoothing of bass by running dual subs, any opinions of two 12's vs. one 15? Haven't seen a lot of info on the Outlaws other than what's on their site. Read a lot of good things about their amps, but not much info on the subs.

#13 ·
You will get better low end output from the VTF-15H, but above 30Hz they should be pretty comparable, with the dual Outlaws offering a more even room response.

You will likely find more info about the Outlaw LFM-1 EX, the predecessor to the X12, since the X12 is still fairly new.

Reactions: jjackkrash
#15 ·
Hit the "current promotions" at the top of the screen.

#17 ·
Ahh, now I see it. That's kind of a bad way to run a sale promotion. Their recent sale you clicked on the product and it showed the sale price, which it does not now. I even added it to my cart and it still showed $639. Not sure why Outlaw doesn't have the sale set up like they did a couple weeks ago. Quite a few people might miss this sale because of that.

#16 ·
The FVX15 is on sale for $909 shipped.

Reactions: jjackkrash
#20 ·
I've been reading a lot of posts and reviews, and in case I find a great deal on Black Friday I want to be ready to move.

Size Requirements - hopefully no more than 18" wide. Height isn't a problem, and I can go at lest 24" deep. My HT is in my living room, so the smaller the sub, the more options I have for placement/aesthetics.

Room Dimensions - 17x14x8. The wall to the right has a 6' opening to a 12x12x8 room (solid for 3' before the opening). Behind the main seating area has a 6' opening to the foyer/stairs to 2nd floor.

Listening Habits - Close to reference levels for HT, probably a little less for music.

Am I missing any major contenders? Like I said, I've read very good things about all of these subs. What features/qualities should I be looking at to better help me decide?
my guess is u wont go wrong with those subs u listed. All are good subs and have their own signatures.

If u are not sure what u like as of now, suggest u look around for used sets and try them out first. Or try those companies that allow u limited period refund policy. Cos what tastes like honey to u, may taste sour for others. Sound is very subjective.

But with your floor area and openings, my guess is u would need at least a 15" sub (dual will be good if budget is not a concern) to adequately fill the room. My suggestion is to get a 15" sub that has good reviews, then add on another one when u have more budget.

By the way, not many 15" subs have 18" width or less..... maybe u would like to also explore HSU ULS15 or Rythmik E15HP.

#21 ·
I ended up going with the Power Sound Audio XV15se. I was really flipping a coin between that and the Rythmic FVX15. I wasn't sure if it would be enough without spending another $300 for the HP. Also knowing my personality, I was afraid I'd spend more time tweaking adjustments and not just enjoying movies/music. Longer Warranty and being as much USA as possible with the PSA was a big plus also.

#23 ·
No, unless I'm reading it wrong. $1250 is the sale price on the Echo 18. The extra 12% is only for speaker/sub combinations.

From now until midnight on Nov 30th (Cyber Monday) we will be running a few holiday specials.
Echo 18s will be $1249.99 delivered (continental USA) and all speaker/sub combination systems
will be discounted 12 percent off. Just use coupon code "FRIDAY12" at checkout.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.