AVS Forum banner

SVS SB12-NSD vs PB1000

15K views 57 replies 25 participants last post by  fabb600 
#1 ·
I cant decide between these two.

Will be mainly used for Music [Trance, Rap, Hardstyle]

I want the hardest hitting sub...

#4 · (Edited)
Music doesn't really have "earth shattering bass". Well, not the classic rock I mostly listen to. :)

I don't think you'll get that from the PB-1000 any more than you would from the SB12-NSD. IMO, to start getting closer to "earth shattering", you'll need to consider a more-powerful sub, something around $1K (at a minimum) like the:
- HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP;
- Reaction Audio (RA) Echo 15; or
- Rythmik FVX15.

#6 ·
I had the SB12, and for the music you will not enjoy it at all. I have a ten year old ported 10" JBL SUB10 and it destroys the SB12 I had for any kind of rap/techno/edm music. The SB12 is purely meant for movies. Also I disagree about the post above saying a bigger sub will be better. I have a PSA V1500 and it also does not sound that good for music. I do have a giant room but the small SUB10 from JBL sounds better for music because of it's higher tune. I would find something that is tuned around 30hz if you want pure great sounding bass for music.

I had a really nice 12 in my car that was tuned to 30hz and it was amazing for music. The subs people recommend on this forum are meant for movies, which are way lower tunes than anything built for music.

#7 ·
It sounds like you like sloppy bass is all, and thats fine for you but that's not great bass in anyway thats just preference.

#8 ·
I have the SB12 NSD and listen to a lot of EDM/house/trance etc. it really hits hard and doesn't lack bass at all. It only lacks a little bit if I really really crank it on certain stupidly bass heavy songs. I'm talking songs that will give 18" subs a huge workout.

#11 ·
I thought the SB12 NSD is a discontinued product. I don't really know what may have replaced it, but the SB1000 is a 12" sub with paper cone, 350 watt amp, and the SB2000 is also a 12" with aluminum cone and 500 watt amp.

#12 ·
OP,
Do us a favor, do you a favor by ordering both subs from SVS since they have risk-free in-home trial warranty.
The reason? you can ask, you can read replies all days long, people can provide their own thoughts but that doesn't mean anything to you.
If I have to provide feedback, I would say: GET the SB12. I don't know how the PB1000 sounds but I prefer the SB12 much over the EmpTek I-12 which is another decent powerful ported sub.

#16 ·
For music i would get a cheap 40 dollar polk PSW10 cause it hits the 80 hz to 40 hz perfectly and below that is only maybe 2 pour-cent of the total sound if there anything there in music (mostly rounding off ).

For movies maybe SVS

but SVS for music is a waste of money i find . If u don't want the polk u could basicelly get anything that goes down to around 29 hz and cost a lot less than the SVS and have very similair results.

SVS for music os verrated i had the SB-1000 and its imput was very low and it's performance didn't blow me away at all.

#18 ·
For music i would get a cheap 40 dollar polk PSW10 cause it hits the 80 hz to 40 hz perfectly and below that is only maybe 2 pour-cent of the total sound if there anything there in music (mostly rounding off ).

For movies maybe SVS

but SVS for music is a waste of money i find . If u don't want the polk u could basicelly get anything that goes down to around 29 hz and cost a lot less than the SVS and have very similair results.

SVS for music os verrated i had the SB-1000 and its imput was very low and it's performance didn't blow me away at all.

As a guy who ran a cheap Polk subwoofer for at least 3-1/2 years before buying an SVS SB1000, I very much disagree. I use my system for 2.1 music over 90% of the time and this SB1000 hits harder, reaches deeper than that Polk ever did! I listen to rock, pop, jazz, big band, classical and more. I also explore other genre's of music with Tidal. In this, I find many tracks that go deep and the SB1000 does it FAR better than a low-level Polk ever could.

And my son's SB2000 does it just that much better. :)

Methinks you had something set wrong or a defective unit.

Reactions: zpatter1
#17 ·
Good sub is more than just extension. It's what it does through its entire range. You can have 2 of three for $500 all three with a bit more 1.extension 2.output 3.sound quality. That's what I found anywho.

#20 ·
My room is "medium", and the SB1000 will only be single for a little while more. My plan is to trade it in (at the full price I paid, thank you SVS) toward a pair of SB2000.

No, I am not a "bass lover." I just like music to be heard the same way it was recorded. I will need a pair to fill in a null point. Spend your money in the way that makes your ears happy, I and thousands of others will do the same...with different results.

#21 · (Edited)
Yes, this is an old thread. I'm in the OP's situation right now, except I'm deciding between the SB1000 (not the PB1000) and the SVS SB12 NSD. The SB12 is now widely available for $399 (I think it was going for $600+ a year ago) and the SB1000 is $499.

At this price, I'm assuming the SB12 is definitely the one to get. I would prefer the smaller size and fabric grill of the SB1000, but not at list price. Any idea when the next SVS sale will be? Also, does anyone know if the SB12 cone is paper or aluminum?

#24 · (Edited)
At this price, I'm assuming the SB12 is definitely the one to get. I would prefer the smaller size and fabric grill of the SB1000, but not at list price. Any idea when the next SVS sale will be? Also, does anyone know if the SB12 cone is paper or aluminum?
It is if your deciding between these 2 subs only. But like you i can't stand the SVS curve metal grill on the SB12 NSD and the SB-1000 is simply a overprice small 12" sub in today's market. I had one and enjoyed it for almost 3 years. Today i have the RSL speedwoofer 10s which is a better performing subwoofer in every way over the SB-1000 and cost $399.00, $100.00 less!

Then there's the new Emotiva BASSX subs that look pretty good at $399.00 (12") and $299.00 (10")! You might want to check them out as well.

#23 ·
Also, for $798 you could get two RSL Speedwoofer 10s subs and that would be so much better than any one sub for $800 or less! If your budget is less then get the two best subs you can get for your budget or buy used maybe?

#25 · (Edited)
The Speedwoofer is +/-3db down to 30hz according to audioholics, 29hz according to HTR, and 24hz according to RSL....Dual Speedwoofer 10's would not match a single PB-2000, Rythmik LVx12, or HSU VTF3.5 in output, extension, or accuracy. They would however have the potential to offer a smoother response and that is about it.. I do agree with going duals being a single sub can not smooth any room modes.

I would take a pair of SB12 NSD over the Speedwoofers...reason being they are smaller, the same price, basically the same output down to 20hz, but extend deeper.

#29 ·
My post that was recently quoted is old. I now own the SB2000 that was the one I helped my son buy. (I bought a PB2000 and traded with him.)

BTW, I happen to really like that curved perforated steel grill. There is no way kicks, cats or my wife's "urban assault vacuum cleaner" are ever going to hurt it. :)

Reactions: karps1987
#30 ·
BTW, I happen to really like that curved perforated steel grill. There is no way kicks, cats or my wife's "urban assault vacuum cleaner" are ever going to hurt it. :)

I agree with Ken. Although I have the ported version, that metal grill is one tough hombre.

My PB12NDS work well for HT, but I find the majority of my bass while listening to music is handled by my mid-bass modules. Used near field these reproduce kick drums and the like with real authority and carry a somewhat small footprint. But.... I just noticed they no longer seem to be available from HSU. http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/mbm-12mk2.html I'm glad I picked up my pair when I did.

#34 · (Edited)
I read somewhere that the SB12 was the predecessor to the SB-2000 and sounds much more like the SB-2000 than the SB-1000 (which is supported by the charts posted by RKSKY). The SB-1000 seems to be the newer entry level model which is a little smaller, but also a step down in SQ compared to the SB12.

At first I didn't like the metal grill, but now I think it looks pretty cool. It also does make more sense than cloth around pets, kids and vacuum cleaners. Can't wait to get it on Monday.

#35 ·
I read somewhere that the SB12 was the predecessor to the SB-2000 and sounds much more like the SB-2000 than the SB-1000 (which is supported by the charts posted by RKSKY). The SB-1000 seems to be the new entry level model which is a little smaller, but also a step down in SQ compared to the SB12.

At first I didn't like the metal grill, but now I think it looks pretty cool. It also does make more sense than cloth around pets, kids and vacuum cleaners. Can't wait to get it on Monday.
The SB12 is indeed the predecessor to the SB2000. The SB2000 improves over the SB12 with a different DSP tune (which on paper, allows it to dig deeper than the SB12), slightly higher output (1.2-2.5db overall, 20-80hz) and a slightly more powerful amp.

They are still quite close in performance overall. There's no reason to get a SB2000 if you can score the SB12 at $400 (still a pretty insane deal). Similarly, there's no reason for any SB12NSD owner to "upgrade" to a SB2000, as their actual upgrade path is the SB13U instead.

#36 ·
#41 ·
SB12-NSD for under 400 bones is a great deal. If you have a smaller sized room and the focus is mainly music, get the SB12-NSD. If you have a smaller sized room and the focus is mainly home theater, spend $50-$75 more and get an outlet PB-1000. If your room is on the larger size, look at upping the budget to get something more suitable

#42 ·
I have the PB-2000 and had to try out the Speedwoofer! I realized I needed two subs for my space so I ordered dual PB-1000's and I'm sending the RSL Speedwoofer back and unfortunately I'm probably sending the PB-2000 back (back to the that in a minute). I like the RSL Speedwoofer 10s especially for $399. If that's your budget you won't be disappointed. But I like the PB-1000 better.. it just seems smoother to me and it gets a little lower. It's not as boomy as the Speedwoofer. I'm still trying to figure out the best spots for the two PB-1000's. Yes, I'd love to have dual PB-2000's but they're a lot bigger and I don't have the room for two in my living room and I'm making myself stay on my $1,000 or less sub budget! You definitely need two subs!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.