Need advice on audiophile sub - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 68Likes

post #1 of 43 Old 05-18-2016, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Need advice on audiophile sub

I'm planning to buy a powered sub. The room where I'll place it is 15 x 15 with an large opening (6 ft wide) on one end to enter an adjoining room. About 80% of the time, I'm listening to jazz, usually smooth jazz, and occasionally some disco. The other 20% of the time, movies. I want clean, tight bass at low to medium volume, say, -25db up to -10db for music. Maybe up to -5db for movies. I like to hear really deep, clean bass in my music. For movies, I don't really care about shaking my house off its foundation but I wouldn't mind "feeling it" some. I would appreciate any suggestions you have that would help me reach my goals. My expected budget is between $1,000 - $2,000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 05-18-2016, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcater1 View Post
I'm planning to buy a powered sub. The room where I'll place it is 15 x 15 with an large opening (6 ft wide) on one end to enter an adjoining room. About 80% of the time, I'm listening to jazz, usually smooth jazz, and occasionally some disco. The other 20% of the time, movies. I want clean, tight bass at low to medium volume, say, -25db up to -10db for music. Maybe up to -5db for movies. I like to hear really deep, clean bass in my music. For movies, I don't really care about shaking my house off its foundation but I wouldn't mind "feeling it" some. I would appreciate any suggestions you have that would help me reach my goals. My expected budget is between $1,000 - $2,000.
Are you open to DIY?
post #3 of 43 Old 05-18-2016, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 1633
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcater1
I'm planning to buy a powered sub. The room where I'll place it is 15 x 15 with an large opening (6 ft wide) on one end to enter an adjoining room. About 80% of the time, I'm listening to jazz ... The other 20% of the time, movies. I want clean, tight bass at low to medium volume, say, -25db up to -10db for music. Maybe up to -5db for movies. I like to hear really deep, clean bass in my music. For movies, I don't really care about shaking my house off its foundation but I wouldn't mind "feeling it" some. ... My expected budget is between $1,000 - $2,000.
Rythmik FV15HP or F25 for a combination of output, extension and servo control.
prerich, ccssid123, eorr23 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by eljaycanuck; 05-18-2016 at 11:30 AM.
post #4 of 43 Old 05-18-2016, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2177 Post(s)
Liked: 2954
With a 6-foot opening in your mid-size room also consider adding that room’s volume as well (although I suspect you have enough wall space for reflections).

With your budget, there are plenty of fine subs that will perform very well for music and do a solid job on movies. I’d look at the websites from these companies: Hsu, PSA, R.A., Rythmik and SVS. For commercial companies, JL Audio makes excellent small sealed designs (although they are a bit pricey).

After looking through each website and confirming pricing, sizes, weights, specs, warranties and shipping policies, give those companies you are most interested in a call. Most times you will be talking to the designer/engineer/owner. Once you've made your decision, the real work begins (integration).

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #5 of 43 Old 05-18-2016, 11:46 AM

You could also go with two s1500 from PSA
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #6 of 43 Old 05-18-2016, 11:48 AM

With the two PSA's I'd suggest an add-on that would take you 449.00 over budget - that would be the Anitmode EQ.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #7 of 43 Old 05-18-2016, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1478 Post(s)
Liked: 4205
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
With the two PSA's I'd suggest an add-on that would take you 449.00 over budget - that would be the Anitmode EQ.
Thanks for mentioning us Prerich! Minor correction on the final pricing though. Dual S1500s + the 8033s is $2149 including delivery to the lower 48. Dual 15s (identical performance to the S1500s) + the 8033s is $1999.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
oneeyeblind, prerich and Madmax67 like this.
post #8 of 43 Old 05-18-2016, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked: 876
There is general agreement, (you can even read it on sub makers' websites), that sealed subs are the best choice for music.

HSU, SVS and Rhythmik are just 3 manufacturers of both types of subs, (ported and sealed), that agree on that.

That said I love servo sealed subs.

While I've owned Velodyne sealed servo subs they then to be more expensive than other similar products.

Rhythmik is where I'd look, no question.

They have many sealed servo choices in your budget and even two could be bought within your budget.

Even their cheapest options play down to at least 20hz.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products1.html
Madmax67 likes this.
post #9 of 43 Old 05-18-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Thanks for mentioning us Prerich! Minor correction on the final pricing though. Dual S1500s + the 8033s is $2149 including delivery to the lower 48. Dual 15s (identical performance to the S1500s) + the 8033s is $1999.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Thank you sir, I for got to add in the other sub
post #10 of 43 Old 05-18-2016, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 800
Rythmik FVX15 for $909 would work great in that size space. If you wanted you could add a second one and that would be amazing.
post #11 of 43 Old 05-18-2016, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked: 2369
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
There is general agreement, (you can even read it on sub makers' websites), that sealed subs are the best choice for music.
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products1.html
Beware the misunderstandings regarding this audiophile myth. It's not that sealed are in any way inherently superior for music. More accurately, if you need a sub ONLY for music, then sealed is the better option because they are smaller and cheaper. Not because they are any better. Given two equivalent subs, sealed are smaller and cheaper, while ported will be larger and more expensive.

Benefit of sealed sub: smaller and cheaper, sounds just as good as ported for music
Benefit of ported sub: 2-4x the output down low which makes a massive difference on movies for a small increase in cost, while giving the same sound quality as sealed on music.

With a $2k budget, you have a lot of great options to choose from. The best advice given so far, imo, is to simply research the offerings from the following companies and choose the sub or subs that appeal to you the most based on size, output, aesthetics, and perks(warranty, availability, shipping, trial period, customer service, made in China, made in USA, etc)

I would consider the following companies, in no certain order:
Hsu
PSA
SVS
Rythmik
JTR
Seaton
Deep Sea Sound

For MV of -5 on movies, I doubt sealed subs with a $2k budget would be quite enough. Might be ok if your room was sealed. -5 MV will call for up to 115 dB output capability from whatever sub or subs you choose. That's a tall order for sealed on a moderate budget.
Alan P, mthomas47, cel4145 and 6 others like this.
post #12 of 43 Old 05-18-2016, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Beware the misunderstandings regarding this audiophile myth.
I'm simply quoting what manufacturers of Ported AND Sealed subs say.

Seems they bought into the myth!

And he'll read the same myth on those manufacturer websites you mentioned.
post #13 of 43 Old 05-18-2016, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4114
Quote:
I'm simply quoting what manufacturers of Ported AND Sealed subs say. Seems they bought into the myth!
They're saying what uninformed potential customers want to hear. Marketing departments aren't so much concerned with technical accuracy as they are with making a sale. Bear123 got it right.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #14 of 43 Old 05-18-2016, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm simply quoting what manufacturers of Ported AND Sealed subs say.

Seems they bought into the myth!

And he'll read the same myth on those manufacturer websites you mentioned.
I disagree. From SVS website:

"But What About Music?

One of the most persistent myths in the audio industry is that ported subwoofers perform poorly on music. This reputation was largely earned by the public suffering through decades of small, ported boom boxes so common in HTIB systems and brick/mortar retail outlets. These subwoofers don’t sound bad on music because they are ported; they sound bad on music (and movies too) simply because they are bad subwoofers.

SVS ported subwoofers have a flat frequency response, low distortion, excellent bandwidth linearity and a very deep tuning frequency (typically 20 Hz or deeper). The deep system tuning frequency shifts port-induced phase rotation and associated group delay below the typical music bandwidth, where we are relatively insensitive to it.

Below is a graph of the SVS PB13-Ultra group delay curves for the 20 Hz ported, 16 Hz ported and Sealed operating modes. Note the group delay curves for all three modes are coincident from 120 Hz-30 Hz (which covers the typical music bandwidth), only diverging at the very deepest frequencies. While Sealed mode unquestionably has the lowest overall group delay, the two ported modes also have exemplary time domain behavior >30 Hz and can deliver excellent sound on music, as well as stellar movie performance."

So according to SVS, a well designed ported subwoofer will perform just as well on music as a well designed sealed subwoofer(just much better on movies due to the massive difference in output around port tune). Hope this info helps clear up any myths for you.
post #15 of 43 Old 05-18-2016, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked: 4085
Quote:

HSU, SVS and Rhythmik are just 3 manufacturers of both types of subs, (ported and sealed), that agree on that.
Personally I've owned both and I don't agree that there's any such general agreement. I didn't notice the sealed were any better at music reproduction than the ported.

Subwoofers: dual PSA V3600's with a PSA XV15se nearfield
Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210 Center- PSA 110sr Surrounds
Denon X4200 - Sony BDP-S5200 - Panamax M4300 - Direct TV - Apple TV - Xbox360

Last edited by Hopinater; 05-18-2016 at 05:01 PM.
post #16 of 43 Old 05-18-2016, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 288
I believe servo controlled subs can provide better sound quality in certain instances. but thats not to say non servo subs sound bad. you just need to demo the subs. sometimes i get the feeling many think all subs sound the same, just like amps...I disagree with this idea. I do agree with many of the brands listed to try out. my velodyne subs have been making me smile for almost 20 years now. my rythmik sub is alot louder than my velodyne and 4x the size and half the amp power but still sounds great for music. but they dont sound the same, so its a preference on what your ears/brain enjoys more. If I wasnt handicapped/disabled, I would definately have fun building my own subs. They arent that hard to build from what I recall when I was 19 building one for my car.
oneeyeblind and Madmax67 like this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc800v, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Velodyne HGS 12, VA 1512, Rythmik FV15HP
post #17 of 43 Old 05-18-2016, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1996 Post(s)
Liked: 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcater1 View Post
This is a good site to visit. There is about 800 pages of test results of ~200 various subwoofers.
http://www.data-bass.com/systems

There is a very clear pattern that emerged. DIY subs have the best value and performance.

You can get SVS-13 Ultra and Velodyne DD-18 level performance for ~$700 in the DIY space. For that price, it is hard to ignore...

There are even UM-18 kits for those that only want to buy wood-glue and clamps plus a bag of screws, rather than a $400 entry-level Ryobi table saw and router set.
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ndle--300-7099

Consider this: Almost everyone that has ever gone DIY, has never gone back to retail/ID subs, like 99.999%. In most cases you couldn't even pay them to switch back...
mrcoop, Fattykidd and Madmax67 like this.

Last edited by BassThatHz; 05-18-2016 at 07:32 PM.
post #18 of 43 Old 05-18-2016, 09:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 4725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Personally I've owned both and I don't agree that there's any such general agreement. I didn't notice the sealed were any better at music reproduction than the ported.
same here...

Imo properly integrating the sub plays the biggest impact on sound quality not the type of alignment.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #19 of 43 Old 05-19-2016, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
This is a good site to visit. There is about 800 pages of test results of ~200 various subwoofers.
http://www.data-bass.com/systems

There is a very clear pattern that emerged. DIY subs have the best value and performance.

You can get SVS-13 Ultra and Velodyne DD-18 level performance for ~$700 in the DIY space. For that price, it is hard to ignore...

There are even UM-18 kits for those that only want to buy wood-glue and clamps plus a bag of screws, rather than a $400 entry-level Ryobi table saw and router set.
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ndle--300-7099

Consider this: Almost everyone that has ever gone DIY, has never gone back to retail/ID subs, like 99.999%. In most cases you couldn't even pay them to switch back...
This is a great option, hell buy 4 of them and have yourself some serious bass.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12
post #20 of 43 Old 05-19-2016, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I'll look into each of the products you've mentioned. If you think of anything else, please post it and I'll check out those options too.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #21 of 43 Old 05-19-2016, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I disagree. From SVS website:

"But What About Music?

One of the most persistent myths in the audio industry is that ported subwoofers perform poorly on music. This reputation was largely earned by the public suffering through decades of small, ported boom boxes so common in HTIB systems and brick/mortar retail outlets. These subwoofers don’t sound bad on music because they are ported; they sound bad on music (and movies too) simply because they are bad subwoofers.

SVS ported subwoofers have a flat frequency response, low distortion, excellent bandwidth linearity and a very deep tuning frequency (typically 20 Hz or deeper). The deep system tuning frequency shifts port-induced phase rotation and associated group delay below the typical music bandwidth, where we are relatively insensitive to it.

Below is a graph of the SVS PB13-Ultra group delay curves for the 20 Hz ported, 16 Hz ported and Sealed operating modes. Note the group delay curves for all three modes are coincident from 120 Hz-30 Hz (which covers the typical music bandwidth), only diverging at the very deepest frequencies. While Sealed mode unquestionably has the lowest overall group delay, the two ported modes also have exemplary time domain behavior >30 Hz and can deliver excellent sound on music, as well as stellar movie performance."

So according to SVS, a well designed ported subwoofer will perform just as well on music as a well designed sealed subwoofer(just much better on movies due to the massive difference in output around port tune). Hope this info helps clear up any myths for you.
And yet SVS also says this:

"Our sealed box subwoofers are a natural choice for critical music applications, and will deliver that tight, fast, detailed and articulate bass which music lovers crave.

A properly designed sealed subwoofer will typically exhibit less phase rotation, lower group delay, and reduced ringing in the time domain. These characteristics make the sealed subwoofer a natural choice for critical music applications, and are typically described by enthusiasts as sounding tighter and more articulate, with less perceived overhang."

HSU says this:

"Sealed Subwoofers Ultra Linear Sealed Subwoofer (ULS) Our most musical subwoofer, the ULS MK2 is THE choice for the serious music lover."

Rhythmik says this:

"Music only systems. For music-only systems we recommend our sealed subs. We have sealed subs in various sizes and finishes. Where high output at 20 Hz is not needed, our sealed subs will match the output of their vented equivalents. In addition, greater extension is possible. Combined with room gain, in-room extension to 14 Hz or even lower is possible."

They all make both types for similar money so I'll go with their consensus.

One thing we can agree on, sealed subs are generally smaller than their ported counterparts if aesthetics might be an issue in smaller rooms.
Madmax67 likes this.

Last edited by gajCA; 05-19-2016 at 12:27 PM.
post #22 of 43 Old 05-19-2016, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Our sealed box subwoofers are a natural choice for critical music applications, and will deliver that tight, fast, detailed and articulate bass which music lovers crave. "

HSU says this:

"Sealed Subwoofers Ultra Linear Sealed Subwoofer (ULS) Our most musical subwoofer, the ULS MK2 is THE choice for the serious music lover."

Rhythmik says this:

"Music only systems. For music-only systems we recommend our sealed subs. We have sealed subs in various sizes and finishes. Where high output at 20 Hz is not needed, our sealed subs will match the output of their vented equivalents. In addition, greater extension is possible. Combined with room gain, in-room extension to 14 Hz or even lower is possible."

One thing we can agree on, sealed subs are generally smaller than their ported counterparts if aesthetics might be an issue in smaller rooms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
They're saying what uninformed potential customers want to hear. Marketing departments aren't so much concerned with technical accuracy as they are with making a sale. Bear123 got it right.
Bill already explained all this. Pay attention to the way the excerpts you use are worded. If that's not pure marketing jargon I don't know what is. When you see wording like this: Ultra Linear Sealed subwoofer… the choice for the SERIOUS music lover... you know you stumbled into the world of the marketing department.

post #23 of 43 Old 05-19-2016, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Bill already explained all this. Pay attention to the way the excerpts you use are worded. If that's not pure marketing jargon I don't know what is. When you see wording like this: Ultra Linear Sealed subwoofer… the choice for the SERIOUS music lover... you know you stumbled into the world of the marketing department.
So a conspiracy then among manufacturers.

Got it.

A non manufacturer's view point essentially saying "it depends."

"The following observations are generalities rather than cast-in-stone facts that apply to all examples. First, the bass from sealed enclosures tends to be tighter, leaner, and more precise. Pitch definition is superior, as is the sense of articulation of each bass note. The sealed loudspeaker’s higher cut-off frequency and more gradual roll-off provide a more satisfying feeling of bass fullness than the reflex system’s lower cut-off frequency and steeper roll-off. Very low bass, such as organ pedal tones, tends to produce a feeling of pressurization of the air in the room when reproduced by sealed systems that have truly deep extension. Reflex systems, by contrast, have more weight, warmth, and fullness. They can subjectively sound like they have more bass and deeper extension when you’re listening to instruments with energy in the midbass rather than the extremely low bass. Kick drum tends to be weightier, but less crisp and dynamic.

These impressions are by no means definitive; poorly designed sealed systems can sound thick, colored, and lacking in articulation and dynamic agility. Moreover, they are gross generalizations that are less applicable at the upper end of the price spectrum. The best bass I’ve ever heard in every aspect of performance—extension, dynamics, precision, articulation, and tonality—was from a ported system (Wilson Alexandria X-2 Series 2). But it takes extraordinary design talent to deliver the benefits of a particular woofer loading while eliminating the shortcomings. In most entry-level and mid-priced loudspeakers, the characteristics of sealed and reflex-loaded designs I’ve described are applicable."

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...ass-tas-197-1/
Madmax67 likes this.

Last edited by gajCA; 05-19-2016 at 12:54 PM.
post #24 of 43 Old 05-19-2016, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2042 Post(s)
Liked: 2403
Quote:

Got it.

"The following observations are generalities rather than cast-in-stone facts that apply to all examples. First, the bass from sealed enclosures tends to be tighter, leaner, and more precise. Pitch definition is superior, as is the sense of articulation of each bass note. The sealed loudspeaker’s higher cut-off frequency and more gradual roll-off provide a more satisfying feeling of bass fullness than the reflex system’s lower cut-off frequency and steeper roll-off. Very low bass, such as organ pedal tones, tends to produce a feeling of pressurization of the air in the room when reproduced by sealed systems that have truly deep extension. Reflex systems, by contrast, have more weight, warmth, and fullness. They can subjectively sound like they have more bass and deeper extension when you’re listening to instruments with energy in the midbass rather than the extremely low bass. Kick drum tends to be weightier, but less crisp and dynamic.

These impressions are by no means definitive; poorly designed sealed systems can sound thick, colored, and lacking in articulation and dynamic agility. Moreover, they are gross generalizations that are less applicable at the upper end of the price spectrum. The best bass I’ve ever heard in every aspect of performance—extension, dynamics, precision, articulation, and tonality—was from a ported system (Wilson Alexandria X-2 Series 2). But it takes extraordinary design talent to deliver the benefits of a particular woofer loading while eliminating the shortcomings. In most entry-level and mid-priced loudspeakers, the characteristics of sealed and reflex-loaded designs I’ve described are applicable."

I wouldn't say that it's a conspiracy, as much as it is marketing departments needing to keep up with the Joneses. If I were building a music only system, I might consider going with sealed subs, too. There would be very little acoustical music content below about 30Hz, so sealed subs would work great for that. And they have a smaller form factor, and typically cost less than their ported counterparts.

Of course, they are smaller and cost less for a reason. Ported subs typically require larger cabinet sizes for displacement of air and for sturdier cabinets, and based on sub maker comments, they also require more engineering to design. IMO, the problem comes in when you try to use that sealed sub for HT movie applications. Because now size, low-end extension, and sheer volume are very important considerations. And although, most of us tend to think of acoustic instruments when we speak of music, there is a lot of electronic music now, in several different genres, which can also go quite low--well under 30Hz. So, even for music, low-end extension and sheer output can be important factors.

I said this on another thread today, but at risk of repeating myself, I am not aware of any blind tests that demonstrate our ability to reliably distinguish between equivalent ported and sealed subs operating within their limits. And a number of people have conducted blind tests in an effort to demonstrate a difference. Data-Bass has a good short article on this that parallels the SVS blog.

I am not trying to persuade anyone who believes that he can hear a difference between similar models, and similarly situated, sealed and ported subs from the same maker. If you hear a difference, so be it. But it must be a very subtle difference indeed, if it can't be replicated in blind tests. So, for the vast majority of buyers, I think it is reasonable to look at your personal goals for content and performance, balanced with room size, budget, and WAF where appropriate, and pick subs that way, rather than starting with some predisposition for either ported or sealed subs, based on some proposition of inherent musicality. Most of the good ID makers will let you test their subs to find out for yourself what sounds best in your room.

Regards,
Mike
Hopinater and Madmax67 like this.
post #25 of 43 Old 05-19-2016, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I think we can also agree that today the consumer has an amazing array of great choices for quality subs of every persuasion.

Not true in the mid 80's when I bought my first "true" sub, Velodyne ULD15, (I think it was $1,500...$3,400 in today's money).

That's the kind of money you HAD to fork out back in the day for a "true" sub.

Not so today.

The variety of choices has really driven the price/value relationship to new highs for consumers which is a very good thing.
mthomas47, Hopinater and Madmax67 like this.
post #26 of 43 Old 05-19-2016, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got it.

My point is this… You started off saying there was a general consensus that sealed subs sound better than ported for music. Yet there have been multiple posters here disagree. And many of them are very knowledgeable and many of them come armed with first hand experience with both types of subs in their room.

The point is, we aren't talking about cheap subs, we're talking about good subs designed by highly respected designers (which people from PSA, Seaton, JTR, etc are considered). If you're talking about low end subs then IMO it doesn't matter if it's sealed or ported, it's not going to sound good regardless.
oneeyeblind likes this.

post #27 of 43 Old 05-19-2016, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think we can also agree that today the consumer has an amazing array of great choices for quality subs of every persuasion.

Not true in the mid 80's when I bought my first "true" sub, Velodyne ULD15, (I think it was $1,500...$3,400 in today's money).

That's the kind of money you HAD to fork out back in the day for a "true" sub.

Not so today.

The variety of choices has really driven the price/value relationship to new highs for consumers which is a very good thing.
Yep, I agree with you on this 100%. We are blessed with the choices we have.
oneeyeblind and gajCA like this.

post #28 of 43 Old 05-19-2016, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

IDK, the general consensus, at least to me, still seems to apply for most people with a reasonable budget.

YMMV.

But there are many good choices including one from HSU that lets you try both approaches in one sub giving you the flexibility to see which you prefer; fully sealed, partially sealed or ported.

"The VTF series subwoofers are the most adjustable subwoofers in the world. It's like buying 10 or more different subs for the price of one. For a given budget, you can design it to go low, or play loud, or have a ported subwoofer or sealed subwoofer, tight bass or full bass, but not all at the same time. Now with the VTF series, you can have any possible combination. You can operate it in one port open, two ports open, or sealed mode. You can adjust the bass tightness by using our Q control. Whatever your preference and room acoustics, you should be able to find a setting that works great for you."

http://www.hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.html
post #29 of 43 Old 05-19-2016, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Our sealed box subwoofers are a natural choice for critical music applications, and will deliver that tight, fast, detailed and articulate bass which music lovers crave.

A properly designed sealed subwoofer will typically exhibit less phase rotation, lower group delay, and reduced ringing in the time domain. These characteristics make the sealed subwoofer a natural choice for critical music applications, and are typically described by enthusiasts as sounding tighter and more articulate, with less perceived overhang."

HSU says this:

Rhythmik says this:

You are trying desperately to win an argument on the internet. Unfortunately, the consensus you claim does not pan out as pretty much everyone in this thread has disagreed with you. Also, good job reinforcing Bill F's point about marketing jargon. Also, if you read what you quoted closely, they are mostly saying sealed are ideal for music only applications. This is true, but not because they are better for music, just that there is no reason for ported. Sealed are better because they are smaller and cheaper, and sound just as good as ported subs without the size, extra cost, and higher output ported subs offer down low. Once you learn more about subs, you will understand, but there is only so much people can do to try and correct your misunderstandings if you are unwilling to accept you might be wrong.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #30 of 43 Old 05-19-2016, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You are trying desperately to win an argument on the internet. Unfortunately, the consensus you claim does not pan out as pretty much everyone in this thread has disagreed with you. Also, good job reinforcing Bill F's point about marketing jargon. Also, if you read what you quoted closely, they are mostly saying sealed are ideal for music only applications. This is true, but not because they are better for music, just that there is no reason for ported. Sealed are better because they are smaller and cheaper, and sound just as good as ported subs without the size, extra cost, and higher output ported subs offer down low. Once you learn more about subs, you will understand, but there is only so much people can do to try and correct your misunderstandings if you are unwilling to accept you might be wrong.
In this day and age his budget will buy him a very good sub no matter which way he goes.

Perhaps the OP should use SVS's "Merlin" application to help him decide which type of sub might work and then choose amongst similar subs from different manufacturers.

http://www.svsound.com/pages/merlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page