Sound Quality per Cubic Foot... of Subwoofer - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By enricoclaudio

post #1 of 6 Old 06-24-2016, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sound Quality per Cubic Foot... of Subwoofer

At the risk of yet another, 'X vs Y - what should I get' thread, I find myself in exactly that position, so I thought I'd throw this request for help out to everyone, but with slightly different parameters than I usually see.

I am searching for a new subwoofer to replace an old sub that is well past it's time. I fully expect that any of the subs on this list will be a substantial improvement. My room is aproximately 2800 cu/ft (80 cu/meters) and usage will be 80% home theater, 15% music, 5 % endlessly playing around with REW, etc. I will be using the LFE inputs on the sub and driving it with a receiver utilizing Audyssey XT32 (Denon 6200).

My priorities in this search are:

Accuracy over output. I have young kids in the house and seldom listen at anywhere near reference levels, so sound quality is a higher priority for me than output. At the same time, I'd also love to play with some of the lower extension available on the current generation of subs. I'm open to a sealed or a ported sub, servo or not.

Smaller Physical Size of the subwoofer itself. In my justification of this upgrade to the spouse unit, I mentioned somewhere along the line that we could get much better sound quality in a much smaller size than what we previously had (what was I thinking?). So this adds a bit of a 'best sound quality per physical size of the sub' factor to the discussion. I see some great specs and reviews out there for some of the 12" subs that come in a fairly small size, so that is probably the size range I am targeting. The addition of a second sub in the future is a possibility, but not part of the immediate plan.

For the sake of this discussion, let's keep the cost in the $1000 and under range. It looks like pretty good quality can be had in the $500 to $1000 range, with around $800 being my target (which we all know won't mean anything by the end of this discussion).

So my priority list looks something like this:
1. Accuracy
2. Extension
3. Size (smaller is better)
4. Output

Some models I've been looking at that I'll throw out there for consideration are below, but I'm open to additions to this list.

Rythmic LVX12
Rythmic F12
SVS 2000 series (SB, PB, and PC)
HSU VTF2-MK4
HSU VTF3-MK5

Does anyone have any favorites in the better sound in a smaller size category?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-24-2016, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 668
I have Rythmik LVX12 in my bedroom, pair of Rythmik F12SEs in my living room and Rythmik L22 in a near field setup under my desk. All three are amazing subwoofers but if I have choose one for HT in a 2800 cu ft room I would go with the LVX12. The LVX12 is accurate and clean but also it's powerful enough to fill a room like yours.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3341.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	1514242   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3343.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	1514250   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3344.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1514274   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3478.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	1514282  
eljaycanuck likes this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Polk LSiM705s, LSiM706C, LSiM703s | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Marantz SR7008 | Parasound Halo P5 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Duet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |
post #3 of 6 Old 06-25-2016, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundation42 View Post
So my priority list looks something like this:
1. Accuracy
2. Extension
3. Size (smaller is better)
4. Output
here's my suggestion. it doesn't extend too far. But you wouldn't know it was there visually. Which is something you can't actually say about any of the other contenders

A TV table, comes in any color (you paint it in). High wife approval rating because it means you have to hide your AV gear instead of having it blaring at you from under the TV.

Response with horn mouth near a corner of the room, at 110 volts (about 1600 watts) in red with 30hz high pass filter.
about 55-65cm tall, 195cm wide, 67cm deep. The driver costs 399 USD, the amp costs something similar, then some bits and pieces like cables and paint and some wood. Only two cuts are angled at 75 degrees, the rest are 90 degrees.
You could ofcourse play it at a reference 105 decibel from 3-4 meters with about 1 watt. So you could get a really cheap amp and with lets say 100 watts and still do 130db 1 meter away (about 118db 4 meters away in the outdoors).

cms, aka driver diaphragm suspension mechanical compliance: 0.000065 meter/Newton or in standard form 6.5e-05 m/N. (smaller number is better)
rms, aka driver diaphragm suspension mechanical resistance: 6.41 Newton.sec/meter. (higher number is better)
post #4 of 6 Old 06-25-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundation42 View Post
5 % endlessly playing around with REW
Hahahaha that's so funny and true! First time iv seen someone add rew to the subwoofers daily roles. Lol
post #5 of 6 Old 06-25-2016, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I have Rythmik LVX12 in my bedroom, pair of Rythmik F12SEs in my living room and Rythmik L22 in a near field setup under my desk. All three are amazing subwoofers but if I have choose one for HT in a 2800 cu ft room I would go with the LVX12. The LVX12 is accurate and clean but also it's powerful enough to fill a room like yours.
Thanks Enrico. The LVX12 is definitely ranking high on my list.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-25-2016, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny31 View Post
here's my suggestion. it doesn't extend too far. But you wouldn't know it was there visually. Which is something you can't actually say about any of the other contenders

A TV table, comes in any color (you paint it in). High wife approval rating because it means you have to hide your AV gear instead of having it blaring at you from under the TV.
That is an interesting thought. I don't think I have the bandwidth to take it on right now, but I can definitely see where you are headed. I could envision a pair of ottomans or a tv table as you mentioned in the room disguising a sub or two. You could even send the signal over RF to avoid an extra cable, leaving only getting power to it to work out. It seems like there could be a commercially viable product here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers