About to purchase my first sub after 5 years without! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Theriddler07sms
  • 1 Post By MIX_MASTER_ICE

post #1 of 11 Old Yesterday, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 61
About to purchase my first sub after 5 years without!

Hey guys!

Im about to purchase my first subwoofer for my home theater! Ive been 5 years without one since I was living in an apartment, but ive since moved into a house and life is about to change I've had my eye on the a couple subwoofers from SVS - PB-2000, PB12-Plus, or PC12-Plus. Im also maybe considering another brand like Rythmic, maybe the FV15HP?

-My max budget is $1399 - which is honestly more than Id prefer to spend but im a believer of the "buy once, cry once" saying. Im willing to spend that extra bit to be happier in the long run.
-Size does matter, I live in Southern California and the houses are not that big. The PB12-Plus looks HUGE from the images ive been seeing as well as the demensions and that is the largest im willing to go.
-Room size - im not sure how to calculate the cubic feet but the dimensions are something like this: 15.5'W x 23'L x 8'H (dining area is behind couch). Listening Distance: 11.'
-Primary use is for home theater. Maybe 80% HT the rest is music and gaming.
-Listening habits - when I watch a movie I like to be around -16db (which is what my AVR displays, so maybe 85db?). The types of movies I like watching are mostly action movies and lots of Christopher Nolan, ie Interstellar, Dark Knight, etc. I want to be able to feel that chest impact but I wouldn't say im an extreme, ball splitting, bass-head person
-Appearance - I do really appreciate nice aesthetics. So its got to look good.
-Will probably buy either this week or next.

My current setup is a 5.0 set of Klipsch RF7ii, RC64ii, & RS62ii with a Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH. I do use the MCACC but I dont think it eq's the sub except for distance and timing, I could be wrong. Ive never ran any measurements or anything because 1, I dont know how and 2 because I dont have the equipment or a laptop. I do plan on doing a sub crawl first though. As far as the choices I picked - the PB-2000 was what I was originally going to go with but im also worried it wont be enough, so enters the PB12-Plus. Both are almost the same size. Havent heard either of them in person. I also picked the cyclinder version because its the same spec as the 12-Plus but also its "smaller," even though it kind of makes up for it in height... its also $200 less then the PB12-Plus. I am open to suggestions and really look forward to hearing from you guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	post-40516-0-36840000-1463964675.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1562185  

Lighting Artist for Walt Disney Animation Studios
Current Setup:
Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH AVR
Klipsch RF-7ii, RC-64ii, RS-62ii
Samsung UNC558000 3DTV
PS3, XBone, X360
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 57
5 Years without?! I went a month without and now that I have heard a real sub I dont think I can ever go back.

I would check out the Rythmik FVX15
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...ubs/fvx15.html

or the FV15HP,
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...bs/fv15hp.html

The HSU VTF-15H Mk2
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15hmk2.html

The HSU VTF-3 MK5
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15hmk2.html

The PSA V1500
http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/v1500

I currently own Rythmik sub and ascend speakers and the customer service from them is top notch. I dont think you can go wrong with any of these subs.
Madmax67 and jasonsong like this.
post #3 of 11 Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I'd vote for PSA. Made in the USA, awesome customer service, fast shipping and phenomenal sound.
post #4 of 11 Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Your room is similar to mine. I would go dual PC-2000's, which would look very nice on either end of your front stage. You could also locate one on each wall flanking your couch. Just have to experiment to see where they work best, but I would go duals. Those would be $1500, but if you wait until Labor Day weekend, SVS will likely have a sale.
Madmax67 likes this.

Last edited by MIX_MASTER_ICE; Yesterday at 05:53 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With these Klipsch I see how you can go 5 years without subwoofer.
post #6 of 11 Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I second the Rythmik FV15. SVS and Hsu are also good choices. I'd also recommend a pair, but you can always start with one and add a second later. I'd further suggest taking the time to properly position them: the room has a HUGE effect on the sound quality - it pays big time to experiment with different positions. Also consider corner bass traps to maximize bass response.
post #7 of 11 Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Your room is almost the same dimension with mine. Mine is a 22.5 * 14.5 * 7.5 family room addition built off the kitchen.

For $1400, I would go with JTR Cap 118 because it is a JTR! and of its output.

Other top choices would be Rythmik FV15HP and PSA V1800.

Panasonic TC-P55UT50
Pioneer SC-1222-K
Polk Audio LSiM 703/LSiM 706c/RTiA3
JTR Captivator 1400

Last edited by chucky7; Yesterday at 09:15 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old Yesterday, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 479
I'm with chucky, go with the cap 118 in that room and don't look back.

Isn't there also a new fv25hp from rythmik coming soon? Might be worth a look but idk how far they are from production or what the price will be...
post #9 of 11 Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Now that I look the fv25 would most likely be out of budget considering what the fv15hp goes for. Scratch that
post #10 of 11 Old Yesterday, 11:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked: 4076
Your room is 2852 cuft (multiply the three room dimensions together), pretty good size space. Is that sealed off or open to other areas? Subs see/use the whole space whereas your speakers are aimed at your MLP, so distance for the sub not so important as for speakers. I like the dual ported column idea, should help even out response in the room and provide good output. Or get a nice big sub, the JTR sounds nice if the appearance isn't an issue....then another of those later.
post #11 of 11 Old Today, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 3985
The JTR is top of the food chain but HUGE. The Rythmik FV15HP while on sale for 1200.00 + shipping is a great option. The PSA V1800 is probably the best balance of size, cost, and performance.

That being said I agree with MMI that dual PC-2000's when on sale would make for a nice setup as well. I personally would never just have one sub if I had room for more. Dual subs sound much smoother then a single.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page