Need new subwoofer - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-26-2016, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Need new subwoofer

Hi all,

I have about $300 Amazon gift cards I'd like to use toward a new subwoofer. My living room is 19'L x 13'W x 9'H (at is highest point and 7.5' at it lowest) What would anyone here be able to recommend within the budget I have. I am willing to move up in price probably up to $500 if this amounts to a better subwoofer. Movies, sports and music account for majority of listening. I also need to replace my receiver which is currently powering 2 Polk towers and a center speaker. Any recommendation on a 5.1 receiver would be great too.

I appreciate your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-26-2016, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 551
post #3 of 7 Old 07-26-2016, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks but would a 12" sub be better? Any other suggestions out there with positive reviews?
post #4 of 7 Old 07-26-2016, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 622
The SVS PB-1000 is quality sub, despite being a 10". It will deliver a more accurate response and dig deeper than budget subs. If you don't want to spend $500 and stay within your $300 GC amount, the Bic PL-2000 is a popular sub that sort of straddles the line between budget sub and quality sub. It's $259. Your room is around 2200 ft^3, so you could get one now and possible get a second later and that would be pretty solid. https://www.amazon.com/Bic-Acoustech...=subwoofer+bic
post #5 of 7 Old 07-26-2016, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo822 View Post
Hi all,

I have about $300 Amazon gift cards I'd like to use toward a new subwoofer. My living room is 19'L x 13'W x 9'H (at is highest point and 7.5' at it lowest) What would anyone here be able to recommend within the budget I have. I am willing to move up in price probably up to $500 if this amounts to a better subwoofer. Movies, sports and music account for majority of listening. I also need to replace my receiver which is currently powering 2 Polk towers and a center speaker. Any recommendation on a 5.1 receiver would be great too.

carlo822,
Need more info, as in max budget. Getting a sub for that size of room might benefit from 2 subs within a specific budget. You might budget for a good subwoofer now, and plan on adding a second subwoofer down the road. Is your room open or sealed? If you are needing to use Amazon what about:
https://www.amazon.com/SVS-SB-2000-5...n%3A7022950011
or spend a little more and go dual:
https://www.amazon.com/SVS-SB-1000-P...1%2Cp_89%3ASVS
post #6 of 7 Old 07-26-2016, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo822 View Post
Hi all,

SVS has authorized online sellers like Onecall and Sound Distributors that sell new "open box" SVS sub's on Amazon like this SB-2000 linked below . Click the used links and look for one from one of these authorized sellers and that will be the best bang for your buck in an ID sub from Amazon. I'd spend the extra money and maybe even go ported depending on how big a space your living room opens into but the sealed I linked has good output as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B00I...&condition=all
post #7 of 7 Old 07-26-2016, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Sound and Vision really like the PB1000 but opined that the sealed SB1000 might be a better choice for music.

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...fvEcKrcUw7t.97

"Bottom line

I don't need to come up with any flowery verbage or clever analogies to sum up the PB-1000. Its performance speaks for itself. If you're shopping for a kick-ass home theater sub for less than $500, buy one. If you want to get flat bass response across several seats in a home theater, and can afford $1,000, get two of these and put them in the front corners instead of buying a single $1,000 sub."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page