PSB Alpha SubZero i - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-28-2016, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
PSB Alpha SubZero i

Greetings. First time poster here on AVS. Search didn't provide much repair suggestions other than swapping out the fuse so I thought I should should see if someone with some subwoofer repair skills might be able to help.

I have a PSB Subwoofer. Its an Alpha SubZero i. S/N 05290_313311

The speaker worked like a charm for a long time, but then after I moved, it no longer powered on properly (the red power light does not turn on). Funny thing was the speaker was transported in a trunk wrapped in thick blankets, so no clue how this happened. Anyways...

I verified the following while troubleshooting:
- Power cable provides power. Swapped it out for a new cable and you can also hear the connection when you plug it in.
- You can hear a high pitched sound when power is connected but no red power light is active on the front.
- Volume is turned up & plugged in properly to receiver. (No audible hum when turned up)
- Swapped out the fuse from the extra one in the back. Both fuses do not look burnt out, but I swapped it out anyways. still do not power on.

"Mark" from PSB support was so incredibly helpful...

"I would call 1-800-263-4666 ext 4201 to see about parts availability and price. It may be time to look at a new sub."

So before I give up on repairing this myself would anyone have any suggestions? Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-28-2016, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
If you're hearing a high pitched squeal there won't be a blown fuse; the only way to make that sound is if power was getting to the amp, which a blown fuse would prevent completely. It could be the transformer gave up the ghost, or perhaps a direct short. Have you pulled the amp to see if anything was jarred loose on the journey?

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 6 Old 07-28-2016, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
If you're hearing a high pitched squeal there won't be a blown fuse; the only way to make that sound is if power was getting to the amp, which a blown fuse would prevent completely. It could be the transformer gave up the ghost, or perhaps a direct short. Have you pulled the amp to see if anything was jarred loose on the journey?
I have not. I'll give that a shot tonight and see.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-29-2016, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Opened it up and nothing looked loose or broken. Also none of the capacitors look blown as well.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-29-2016, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The only user replaceable parts are the fuse and the power cord. If all the internal wire harnesses are plugged in properly (input > controls > amp > speaker), and you don't see any damage, then there's probably not much else to say unless you know how to troubleshoot electronic components. But you wouldn't be asking if you did. Perhaps "Mark" was more helping than you thought.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-29-2016, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
Simply moving it should not have caused an issue, but it may have in this case. My guess is that sub is probably a decade old, and it seems it won't see its 11th birthday. There may be few viable options at this point unfortunately.

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page