Sunfire EQ signature 12 in Sub Repair - It Lives Again! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By straylight2001

post #1 of 6 Old 08-14-2016, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Sunfire EQ signature 12 in Sub Repair - It Lives Again!

Carver-Sunfire EQ signature 12 in sub repair experience

I had recently been enjoying the latest movie soundtracks on my Sunfire-Carver EQ signature 12 when all of a sudden I got a spray of static noise thru the LFE channel and then nothing from the subwoofer. This subwoofer is the only sub I have ever really been satisfied with in my 25 x 17 x 8 listening room and the only one able to move enough air in the room without sounding overly pumped in the bass department. This sub goes so incredibly low with such massive power reserves that it is scary. I had it placed on a solidly constructed brick fireplace hearth at the back wall about 1/3 the way into the room (anywhere near a corner and it was way over the top too much bass for the entire room!). With this setting and the mic-EQ calibration of the bass completed, the bass was subterranean bass bliss like I never heard before.

Suffice to say it was a very disappointing when it all went silent on that day. These are large EQ subs are rare and hard to find even on ebay (although I see many 8 inch EQ types or 12 inch types without EQ). My first contact was with Bill Flannery and although he was very friendly and helpful he admitted that the larger 12 inch Sunfire Signature EQ model is a different 'beast' than the other Carver-Sunfire subs. He went on to explain that he was not as successful at repairing this particular model. He instead referred me to another person, a Mr. Frank Malitz, who I then contacted.

From the start Frank was knowledgeable about the Sunfire EQ model in particular and offered to provide service. He stated a reasonable repair charge (plus shipping) and also said that if he could not repair it, would not charge me at all. Sounded pretty darn good to me. So off it went.

My experience was very good with Frank and would like other Sunfire EQ owners to know about it...not only was it repaired quickly but he also burned it in with an extended "stress-test mode' sequence to make sure it was 100%. Not sure how he did it but my calibration data was still there even after the repair job so no need to re-calibrate anything! I am back to subterranean bliss again with my favorite movies. I strongly recommend Frank Malitz for his thorough and quick repair expertise. Without a doubt he has the knowledge required to refurbish these large 12 inch Signature-type EQ Sunfire subs.

My hat's off to Frank! T H A N K Y O U!
eljaycanuck likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-15-2016, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked: 1964
post #3 of 6 Old 08-15-2016, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Very nice overall set-up, looks very well rounded sound-wise (love the emotive 'muscle' - heard a rumor that Bob Carver was trying to buy into the company? ). Regarding the front passive subs (DIY sealed, passive and down-firing subs with UXL-18 drivers on front wall), what order x-over are they and how are they being 'feed' & what damping factor for the amplifier? If these are 18's they probably require some back EMF to control them because they have got to have so much inertia once in motion. Looks like you have plenty of drivers for bass duty.

With the Carver-Sunfire 12 EQ and 2700 watts amp never had a need to add anything else for bass...plenty of output for a fairly large room. In fact I usually have to dial it back with the EQ settings on the amp plate to 'tame the beast' a bit and blend it with the full range fronts. EQ-12 goes unbelievably loooow without coaxing!

post #4 of 6 Old 08-18-2016, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

For anyone in need of Sunfire EQ-12 Signature repairs, here is the contact info I have used for Frank :

Frank Malitz
847-668-4519

One last bit of advice that Frank provided about setting up my Sunfire Signature EQ-12 with current AV receiver or separates after repairs :

"Remember, your processor (or receiver) has a crossover in it and it’s on! Usually set around 80 Hz, you’ll need to defeat the crossover in your woofer (i.e the Sunfire EQ-12 Signature); you cannot feed one crossover into another—no damage but terrible performance. If the woofer does not have a BYPASS setting on the crossover adjuster, use the highest frequency possible."

I am directly quoting Frank on the above x-over setup guidance but keep in mind it is excellent advice for any subwoofer, not just the Sunfire...it made a very noticeable improvement for my system when blending/smoothing output levels from the full-range front speakers with the Sunfire subwoofer after repairs. This is very good advice for obtaining a flat and extended bass response in your listening room!
post #5 of 6 Old 01-22-2017, 02:55 PM

Liked: 0
I had a Carver Sunfire True Subwoofer MkII that was essentially unusable. It sat in my corner for years turned off with the hopes of one day figuring out why the damn thing kept humming. I went to a recent Hi Fi show in NYC and in the Carver room, the best sounding room at the show, I met Frank Malitz. I explained my tale of woe to him and he went through the steps on getting my Sunfire repaired. It was an easy process of just removing the amp from the cabinet and shipping it to him. In about a months time, I got it back and now I'm back in business. He's the only one who knows how to fix them and his service is tops! He's located near Chicago and very easy to work with. I highly recommend his repair. Anybody who has one at this point will need the caps replaced and are probably experiencing the same problems. Here's the contact number: 847-668-4519.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-19-2017, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I just had Frank at carversunfire@gmail.com do a rebuild for me. Just got it back and it sounds fantastic! I have it paired with a pair of Klipsch Heresy's I recapped and installed new tweeters from www.ctitesspeakers.com. All in for less than a grand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
eq signature , malitz , repair , subwoofer , Sunfire

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page