AVS Forum banner

Down firing sub recommendations please

3K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  Zcars 
#1 ·
I've been reading through the forum and it seems the subs typically recommended are front firing. I'm upgrading from a PL-200 and want down firing because of cats damaging the speaker. Budget is $500 and the room is approximately 22x15. Seating area is about 10 ft from bookshelves. Sub will be placed in corner (no other option). Use is 50/50 music and theater. My PL-200 seems to do a pretty good job for what I'm using it for. It may be a little slow sometimes with music but not sure if it's me or the sub. To be honest though, I've never owned a powered sub before this so I guess I really don't know what I'm probably missing. I'm open to pretty much anything brand wise. Plain black ash box is fine too... I don't want a piano finish. Thanks.

#4 ·
#9 · (Edited)
I don't know what you'll find for $500, so I'll throw these out anyway
https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/ultra.html

This is the new version of the Outlaw LFM-1 EX, so you can also look for reviews of that model to get a since of how the Ultra-X12 will perform.

Or, if willing to up your budget, the PSA 15V
https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/15v
I just posted what he can find. the VTF 2.4 is on sale for 499.00. ;)

I doubt the Ultra X12 will go on sale lower then 600.00. They offered it for 559.00 shipped when it first dropped then raised the price to 659.00. It is also smaller then the older EX-1, so its a cross between the LFM-1 plus and EX. Hard to say if it will perform as well in the deep bass. The Outlaw subs are a little under ported for 1 port extension mode. I would lean towards the HSU because of this...PSA 15v is almost double the OP's budget.

Welcome to AVS, where ones budget gets blown out the window.

#8 ·
Sign up for their newsletter. See if they have any b-stock specials or other specials over Black Friday/during December. They often do. Then tell the wife it was a deal :)

#6 ·
pretty much what others said already...I bought an Outlaw LFM-1 EX and it still thumps amazing well. It powers our living room while our monster (see sig) takes on the theater.

The Outlaw is in a huge open living space area (25 foot cathedral ceilings) and it does well given the cubic feet it has to tackle.

To recap:
Outlaw
HSU
SVS
PSA

#10 · (Edited)
VTF-2 MK4 is $566 shipped. They only have 2 in stock. If you want to increase the 2 year warranty on electronics, price is $616. For $500 there really is no option for down-firing ID subs. Down-firing subs in general aren't nearly as common as front-firing. Probably the next lowest priced DF sub is the Outlaw, but it's around $720 shipped. You can often times find the SVS PB-2000 for $699 b-stock. That has a metal grille that a cat can't destroy and I'm sure the cat would want no part of it. You may have to up your budget to find something suitable for your needs.

#15 ·
I have the Bic PL-200 also.. What are you expecting to get from these down firing alternatives that you arent getting from your Bic? I thought the Bic was hard to beat at anywhere near the price.

#18 ·
Look at Power Sound Audio

The PSA 15V is awesome but over your budget new.
On the spousal front, it makes an excellent end-table, if you can accept black. Very stable to put stuff on, although I have rubberized coasters just in case.

Using room correction tuning, mine is flat from 18-400Hz. (I use ARC2 as my AVR is anthem.)

#19 ·
Don't forget DIY, if that's an option....I'm just finishing up a pair of down firing 10" subs for my living room. Silly easy with all the precut sub box kits.

Putting together some things on parts express gets 500ish for a 12" ultimax kit with a 500w bash plate amp. They have a 20 off 250 coupon going too.

#20 ·
Hi. My name is Ron and I'm an audiophile/home theatre enthusiast. I found a company on line that should meet your needs. SVS is a company on line and they have a line of powered subs. I would recommend the SVS SB-1000. It has a 12" speaker with a 300 W amp and DSP controls to dial it in with your system. I spoke with a tech from SVS and asked him about pointing the speaker at the floor. He said as long you raise the speaker 2" or 3" off of the floor it should work fine. You could use wooden blocks as stand offs. The cost of the sub is $499.99. Go to their site and check it out.

#21 ·
I can't quite tell if this is intended to be serious or funny. The intro made me instantly think of an AA meeting. :D

#23 ·
Check out the RSL Speedwoofer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoA0k9RIoe4

Supposedly, it's a very good sub for $400.

SVS SB-1000 is also very highly rated.

Also, you might consider getting two $250 subs instead of one $500. Often times two smaller subs does a much better job than one larger one.
The Speedwoofer 10S is front-firing, which the OP is not wanting. I guess you could flip the driver down and put it on blocks...lol. If anything, face the driver at a wall. Same for the SB1000, plus it wouldn't be a good option for home theater anyway.

As for two lesser subs being a better option than one larger sub, that might apply with two quality subs, but not two budget subs.

For the OP's situation one could always buy the $500 RBH I-12 and situate it with the driver facing a wall. This would meet your budget requirement, keep the cat from getting at the driver and be a noticeable improvement over the previous PL-200.

Reactions: cel4145
#29 · (Edited)
No doubt. It has "scratch me" written all over it. LOL

The HSU seems your best option. If you can spend more, then the Outlaw. The Outlaw will equal the PL-200 from 40hz on up in max output, but be much, much better below 30hz.

#31 · (Edited)
Patti the archicat doesn't touch my PC-2000. She's got a regular scratching post that she's used to. Besides, I clip the sharp tips off her claws using a tool made for that purpose (doesn't everyone?), which makes them so dull she can't really hurt anything even if she wanted to. Everybody's happy! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.