Might sell my SVS and get something else??? SVS, HSU/Rythmik??? Help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 3 Post By KyleLee
  • 5 Post By basshead81

post #1 of 9 Old 10-16-2016, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Might sell my SVS and get something else??? SVS, HSU/Rythmik??? Help

Guys, my neighbor wants a sub to go with his new downstairs home theater system. He asked if I would be interested in selling mine, which is a PB12-NSD about 8 or 9 years old at this point.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting something new for awhile mostly because the SVS is good on movies but is pretty slow on music when compared with my Dynaudio mains. To the point that I rare use it anymore for music.

I could stick with SVS and go with something like a PB12 Plus or PC12 Plus. Or I could go a different direction and go with something like a Rythmik 15 or something from HSU research. Please note, it's very important that whatever I get perform well with movies AND music. If I'm going to spend the money I want it to be money well spent.

Also, I'd like to do it for around $1,200...obviously cheaper for same performance/reliability is better but IF I do something I want it to be right in my system.

I like the idea of going with a sealed box 15 from HSU or Rythmik since I should get better/quicker response on music and hopefully won't sacrifice anything on the low end for movies. Help, thoughts, recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-16-2016, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 1938
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post
Guys, my neighbor wants a sub to go with his new downstairs home theater system. He asked if I would be interested in selling mine, which is a PB12-NSD about 8 or 9 years old at this point.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting something new for awhile mostly because the SVS is good on movies but is pretty slow on music when compared with my Dynaudio mains. To the point that I rare use it anymore for music.

I could stick with SVS and go with something like a PB12 Plus or PC12 Plus. Or I could go a different direction and go with something like a Rythmik 15 or something from HSU research. Please note, it's very important that whatever I get perform well with movies AND music. If I'm going to spend the money I want it to be money well spent.

Also, I'd like to do it for around $1,200...obviously cheaper for same performance/reliability is better but IF I do something I want it to be right in my system.

I like the idea of going with a sealed box 15 from HSU or Rythmik since I should get better/quicker response on music and hopefully won't sacrifice anything on the low end for movies. Help, thoughts, recommendations?
The V in SVS started his own company PSA. Give them a look too. Room size dictates sealed vs ported. Neither is really and quicker than the other.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-16-2016, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Fast/Slow is not a thing for audio. Lets just nip this right now. Sealed subs does gives you lower group delay near the tuning point but significantly reduces SPL relatively to the port tuning of a ported counterpart. In practice the added dB is huge advantage. You can lose as much as 9dB or 2.5x the output. Sealed subs will show advantages in the ultra low bass but this generally doesn't show up until you have multiple expensive subs and in a small room. The biggest advantage of sealed subs is size!

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=content&id=82

In this example we see a passive radiator system (very similar to what a port does) compared to a sealed. There is also a very large horn system in this test.

lovinthehd, climber07 and Madmax67 like this.

data-bass.com
@databass_audio

post #4 of 9 Old 10-16-2016, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Buy a used SB13 Ultra for more snap.

Sony 65" A1E
OPPO 83 &103
Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm 490cc B&W 685 S2's
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB13Ultra
Acurus 200A3 Paradigm studio 60 V5's
post #5 of 9 Old 10-16-2016, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3002
Quote:
Please note, it's very important that whatever I get perform well with movies AND music. If I'm going to spend the money I want it to be money well spent.
How does the PB12-NSD measure in your room? If you don't know the answer to that question, then you really aren't prepared for an upgrade yet because you don't know what your needs are.

Get this mic and learn to use REW: UMIK-1 https://www.minidsp.com/products/aco...urement/umik-1. You may find that the reason your sub is not integrating well with your mains has mostly to do with how the sub is performing in the spot you picked due to room influence.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
post #6 of 9 Old 10-16-2016, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
How does the PB12-NSD measure in your room? If you don't know the answer to that question, then you really aren't prepared for an upgrade yet because you don't know what your needs are.

Get this mic and learn to use REW: UMIK-1 https://www.minidsp.com/products/aco...urement/umik-1. You may find that the reason your sub is not integrating well with your mains has mostly to do with how the sub is performing in the spot you picked due to room influence.
I haven't looked at the numbers since I set it all back up a year ago. Raw output isn't the problem at all. It gets plenty loud...if speed isn't a thing I don't know how else to describe it but it really muddies up the music compared with just playing through the speakers. On movies? It's great, in fact the output is high enough that I generally don't have it up above 35 or 40% even at higher volume levels. Shaking the room isn't a problem...the issue only seems obvious on music.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-16-2016, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 6513
The problem is more then likely the room response. Probably have a large peak and or dip in the response...you can get a eq device and adjust the response to suit your needs. First step would be to buy a UMIK-1 Mic and download REW. Then start taking measurements and find the best location for the sub. Last resort is using EQ to shape the response. Then if still not happy buy a different sub.

Or you can take the common route, which is to keep throwing money at problem buy purchasing different subs to find out in the end that it's again a room issue. More then likely you will need 2 subs to provide a smoother bass response. The best sub money can buy combined with a poor response will sound well poor.
Alan P, cel4145, climber07 and 2 others like this.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-17-2016, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Room modes are the little criminals that make music sound slow. I suspect that you may have a room resonance in the 40-50Hz range that is mucking things up.

DJ

8.8kW fully active, fully balanced 2 channel Vaders

Overkill IS my middle name.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-17-2016, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4122 Post(s)
Liked: 2626
Never once felt the sealed servo subs I've owned were "slow" or muddy.

Happy hunting; there are any great choices out there.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page