AVS Forum banner

Best sub ~$300-400? (PL-200 vs SB12-NSD)

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  lon3volf 
#1 ·
I just purchased some EMP R5Bi's and am looking for a good subwoofer to accompany them:

Usage: 80% gaming, 15% movies, 5% music
Budget: $400
Room size: roughly 11'W X 13'D X 10'H

The BIC PL-200 and SVS SB12-NSD have been recommended, though I am open to more suggestions as well. Speaking to those two subs in question, there's a $150 price difference, main knock against the PL-200 being a frequency response hump at 50hz. How do you guys compare these?

If there is any more info I can provide regarding the usage, position, space, etc of the sub please let me know.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I have heard both and the SB12 is a better sounding and more accurate sub. The PL-200 is not terrible for the money, but its not in the same league. SVS uses much higher quality amplification and drivers. If you just want something to fill the void and goes boom, save 150 and get the PL-200. If you want something that has more detail and a better transient response, get the SVS.

#3 ·
I have heard both and the SB12 is a better sounding and more accurate sub. The PL-200 is not terrible for the money, but its not in the same league. SVS uses much higher quality amplification and drivers. If you just want something to fill the void and goes boom, save 150 and get the PL-200. If you want something that has more detail and a better transient response, get the SVS.
I vote for the PL-200. We're talking mostly gaming here. The FR bump, port, and the fact that he's not being critical with his listening all point to saving $150 for other use, or possibly saving for a 2nd pl-200.

Its not like the SB12 is going to have room shaking lower octave or even high teens output.

If he listened to classical, jazz and other similar genres of music then perhaps the SB12 would be more suitable. But for casual music listening, and mostly gaming, which probably has the least amount of content below port tune, PL-200 and save some cash.

#4 ·
I vote for the PL-200. We're talking mostly gaming here. The FR bump, port, and the fact that he's not being critical with his listening all point to saving $150 for other use, or possibly saving for a 2nd pl-200.

Its not like the SB12 is going to have room shaking lower octave or even high teens output.
The OP's room is fairly Small...the SB12 hits 92db @ 20hz 2m RMS...with room gain it should be capable of 100-104db of output @ 20hz in room. In my 10x12 den it shakes the room clear down to 16hz and hits 117db from 6ft away above 40hz. In small rooms the SB12 works well and extends deep. I use of for music and PC gaming.

I agree tho the PL-200 would be OK.

#6 · (Edited)
No distortion numbers, but the sub was not triggering the limiter. SVS sub's have really good limiting that will not allow the sub to produce very much distortion before clamping its output. I have heard both the PL-200 and SB12 along with a plethora of 100-300.00 sub's being I use the cheaper sub's for my Touch Tunes jukeboxes. I have a pretty good clue what the budget subs like the Polk PSW505, PSW202, PSW10, JBL ES250, Dayton Sub 12, Klipsch Sub12, Kenwood Servo 10, Paradigm PDR10, Pinnacle Subsonic, all sound like. ;)

Here is the SB12 playing electronic music in my Den.

#9 ·
No distortion numbers, but the sub was not triggering the limiter. SVS sub's have really good limiting that will not allow the sub to produce very much distortion before clamping its output. I have heard both the PL-200 and SB12 along with a plethora of 100-300.00 sub's being I use the cheaper sub's for my Touch Tunes jukeboxes. I have a pretty good clue what the budget subs like the Polk PSW505, PSW202, PSW10, JBL ES250, Dayton Sub 12, Klipsch Sub12, Kenwood Servo 10, Paradigm PDR10, Pinnacle Subsonic, all sound like. ;)

Here is the SB12 playing electronic music in my Den.

https://youtu.be/vEd8SGJJGHU
What is that song man? It rocks!

#8 ·

Excuse the crudeness, but that's a more accurate representation of the room in question, plus 10' high ceiling. I tend to sit between 6'-9' away from the TV. If I listen to music it's likely electronic (Daft Punk, Royksopp, etc). The sub will be fairly close to the corner of the room, if that makes a difference for either.

#11 ·
I ended up buying SB12-NSD! for the better SQ, but mostly on the strength of how much I saved on the R5Bi's and the smaller form factor (vs the PL-200). Plus I don't often spend on this sort of thing so why not bump up to something a little nicer! I did purchase from "Electronics Expo" on Amazon, which SVS lists as an authorized reseller. So hopefully everything works out with the warranty and such.

#12 ·
If the RBH I-12 pops up again b-stock for $404, that's a top choice.

#14 ·
Another sub to consider under $400 range would be RSL 10S. Sound&Vision has praised it well. I ordered one couple days ago waiting for it to be delivered so I can compare it with PB-1000 SVS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.