Looking for Subwoofer - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 73 Old 01-04-2017, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bose301s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Looking for Subwoofer

My theater is in a room ~16'x12.5'x8' give or take a bit. I have a pair of B&W 803 D2 mains with HTM2 D2 center and 603 S3 for surrounds. I am looking at subwoofers now. I am trying to stay at a decent price, $2000 would probably be the absolute max I would spend, but seeing as there's sub's like the Hsu VTF-15H MK2 for $869, the Seaton Sound MFW-15 Turbo SS for $895 and even a pair of RSL SpeedWoofer 10S for $798 I would think staying under $1000 is more that doable, although the JTR Captivator S1 is very intriguing. Really though I am leaning to the Hsu or Seatin, but want recommendations and opinions from you all. Thanks in advance for any help.
bose301s is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 73 Old 01-04-2017, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 8,484
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked: 1963
Your room's not very large so as far as HSU is concerned you could also go with a pair of VTF-3 MK5 HP. A pair of Rythmik FVX15 subs is also worth considering.
MIX_MASTER_ICE and Madmax67 like this.

Last edited by eljaycanuck; 01-04-2017 at 04:11 PM.
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #3 of 73 Old 01-04-2017, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Not In a Gun-Free Zone
Posts: 2,778
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1424 Post(s)
Liked: 1194
You have a fairly small space, so you won't need anything massive to get good response. Two would be better if you have multiple seating locations. Don't forget to add shipping, which I see you haven't calculated on some subs you mentioned. A pair of the VTF-3.5's eljay recommended would be outstanding in that size of a room. Even a pair of RBH I-12's would work great and those are $500/each and would keep you at that $1,000 mark. I believe they are currently OOS, however.
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
 
post #4 of 73 Old 01-04-2017, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bose301s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 33
What about a pair of Hsu ULS-15 MK2, those should shake the room quite well, are decently sized and should sound great for music.
bose301s is offline  
post #5 of 73 Old 01-04-2017, 04:12 PM
Member
 
Daffypuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ive been out of the game for a few years, so I cant speak on subs made after 2011ish. Me personally, Ive always preferred Velodynes and have been happy with them. My GF had a very similar setup, speakerwise, to you and she had a DD-18. I have a DD-15 in my setup and im happy with it. Its a fairly pricey sub, but I belive I got mine used for around $2200 5 or 6 years ago. Again, its a personal preference thing, so go with what you know or have experienced.
Daffypuck is offline  
post #6 of 73 Old 01-04-2017, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 8,484
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked: 1963
In such a relatively small room, a pair of sealed subs should work very well. The ULS-15 MK2 would be a good choice, as would the PSA 15S.
sdrucker and Madmax67 like this.
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #7 of 73 Old 01-04-2017, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bose301s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 33
It's definitely a hard choice as there is a very large selection of very high quality subs out there right now, from Hsu, Rythmik, SVS, JTR, PSA, Seaton, JL etc. There really is no shortage of choices and that's what makes this difficult. I will be honest though, the ones that keep drawing me back are the JTR S1 even though I know it's overkill, and the Seaton MFW.

Last edited by bose301s; 01-04-2017 at 05:30 PM.
bose301s is offline  
post #8 of 73 Old 01-04-2017, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 8,484
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked: 1963
Get one (or two) of what really interests you and don't look back. The last thing you want is to have regrets.
mthomas47 and A-rab like this.
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #9 of 73 Old 01-04-2017, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bose301s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The funny thing is that I had wanted a Hsu sub for a long time, I think since the late 90s or like 2000, but after seeing the JTR that thing is a beast. But honestly 2 of the ULS-15 will outperform one S1 and be cheaper to boot, same with 2 of the Seaton MFW.
bose301s is offline  
post #10 of 73 Old 01-05-2017, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 8,484
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked: 1963
HSU ULS-15 MK2
- 15" driver
- 600W (RMS/continuous) amp
- 20-200Hz +/-1dB

JTR Captivator S1
- 18" driver
- 2400W (RMS/continuous) amp
- 16-157Hz +/-1dB

I'm not so sure that a pair of ULS-15s will outperform a single S1 either in overall output or extension.
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #11 of 73 Old 01-05-2017, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 5,099
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked: 2684
Also need to take into account primary use and how loud you want to accurately play whatever you are listening to. If 50/50 movies/music with max volume of -10, a pair of small sealed subs like the Hsu ULS15.2 or PSA S1500 would be fine. However, if you want clean reference level playback with subs 5 hot and a house curve, you need dual ported or dual Cap S1/S2.
eljaycanuck and Madmax67 like this.
bear123 is offline  
post #12 of 73 Old 01-05-2017, 07:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bose301s View Post
My theater is in a room ~16'x12.5'x8' give or take a bit. I have a pair of B&W 803 D2 mains with HTM2 D2 center and 603 S3 for surrounds. I am looking at subwoofers now. I am trying to stay at a decent price, $2000 would probably be the absolute max I would spend, but seeing as there's sub's like the Hsu VTF-15H MK2 for $869, the Seaton Sound MFW-15 Turbo SS for $895 and even a pair of RSL SpeedWoofer 10S for $798 I would think staying under $1000 is more that doable, although the JTR Captivator S1 is very intriguing. Really though I am leaning to the Hsu or Seatin, but want recommendations and opinions from you all. Thanks in advance for any help.


I have practically the same size room as yours (mine is 16'x12'x8') and have gotten a Seaton Sound MFW-15 Turbo-SS about 6 weeks ago. At $895 + shipping, it's a solid deal. Plenty of headroom and bone rattling bass. Great for both music and movies. I've heard both the PSA V1500 and HSU VTF-15 MK2 and personally think it can go head to head with both!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
djreef likes this.
A-rab is offline  
post #13 of 73 Old 01-05-2017, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bose301s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I guess the best way to phrase this is, if you had my space, and $2000 to play with, what sub and or subs would you go with. I am big into music so it needs to be a good sub for music as well, but I think everything I have seen mentioned here is perfectly fine with music as well as movies. The overall mix would be 50/50 movies and music probably and not reference level really, my wife isn't a fan of things that loud, lol. I want accuracy as #1 but with the ability to shake the room. Hopefully that guides you better.
bose301s is offline  
post #14 of 73 Old 01-05-2017, 10:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Looking for Subwoofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bose301s View Post
I guess the best way to phrase this is, if you had my space, and $2000 to play with, what sub and or subs would you go with. I am big into music so it needs to be a good sub for music as well, but I think everything I have seen mentioned here is perfectly fine with music as well as movies. The overall mix would be 50/50 movies and music probably and not reference level really, my wife isn't a fan of things that loud, lol. I want accuracy as #1 but with the ability to shake the room. Hopefully that guides you better.


Dual MFW's would do the trick .


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A-rab is offline  
post #15 of 73 Old 01-05-2017, 10:30 AM
 
audacious nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 389
On this note, since I am looking at these very subwoofers, how do they compare to the PB2000?
audacious nick is offline  
post #16 of 73 Old 01-05-2017, 10:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Bill Kentucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Southeastern WI
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I'm biased towards PSA (I own them and love them) so I'd recommend getting in on the new s3601 preorder if you want one sub or a pair of s1500 if you want two subs. Both would keep you under the $2000 budget.
A-rab likes this.

__________________________
Current setup: PSA MT-110 L/R, PSA MT-110c center, PSA MT-110sr surround, Dual PSA v3600 subs, Denon x4200w Receiver
Bill Kentucky is offline  
post #17 of 73 Old 01-05-2017, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 5,099
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked: 2684
Since the room is small and SPL requirement is moderate, I'd focus on getting two subs for your $2,000 budget. You should be able to exceed your output requirement at this price with two good subs in this price range. The next issue you need to decide on is ported or sealed. The main advantages of sealed are smaller size and slightly lower cost if these things matter to you. They will sound just as good as ported subs on music. Ported subs have two possible disadvantages...they are larger and cost a bit more. However, cost should not be an issue as you can get two very good ported subs in your price range. The advantage they will have over sealed is they will provide a more visceral, tactile experience on movies, even at the same listening level.

If you decide to go sealed, I would look at:
1) Dual Hsu ULS15.2
2) Dual PSA 15S or S1500

Ported:
1) Dual Hsu VTF15.2
2) Dual PSA V1500
3) Dual Rythmik FVX-15

If you want more bang for your buck and want a small project:
Dual http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ndle--300-7099 plus http://www.parts-express.com/behring...-dsp--248-6710

The dual sub suggestion assumes you are willing to place the subs properly for a good frequency response. If you are not willing to place them properly, you will be just as well off getting a single, higher quality sub:

1) JTR Captivator1400 or S1
2) Seaton F18
3) Rythmik FV15HP
A-rab, Madmax67 and Matt2818 like this.
bear123 is offline  
post #18 of 73 Old 01-05-2017, 10:39 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by audacious nick View Post
On this note, since I am looking at these very subwoofers, how do they compare to the PB2000?


The PB2000 is a good subwoofer but all the ones mentioned above beat it hands down.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A-rab is offline  
post #19 of 73 Old 01-05-2017, 10:45 AM
 
audacious nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-rab View Post
The PB2000 is a good subwoofer but all the ones mentioned above beat it hands down.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I just found out Rythmik is located like 20 minutes from me. How does this one or the VTF-3 compare?
A-rab likes this.
audacious nick is offline  
post #20 of 73 Old 01-05-2017, 10:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by audacious nick View Post
I just found out Rythmik is located like 20 minutes from me. How does this one or the VTF-3 compare?


No idea. Only heard the VTF15. In a given category, I think you'll get similar performance and in the end it all comes down to sound signature preference. The best is to try to listen to the subs in your space or a similar one and find out which one sounds the best to you.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A-rab is offline  
post #21 of 73 Old 01-05-2017, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bose301s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Since the room is small and SPL requirement is moderate, I'd focus on getting two subs for your $2,000 budget. You should be able to exceed your output requirement at this price with two good subs in this price range. The next issue you need to decide on is ported or sealed. The main advantages of sealed are smaller size and slightly lower cost if these things matter to you. They will sound just as good as ported subs on music. Ported subs have two possible disadvantages...they are larger and cost a bit more. However, cost should not be an issue as you can get two very good ported subs in your price range. The advantage they will have over sealed is they will provide a more visceral, tactile experience on movies, even at the same listening level.

If you decide to go sealed, I would look at:
1) Dual Hsu ULS15.2
2) Dual PSA 15S or S1500

Ported:
1) Dual Hsu VTF15.2
2) Dual PSA V1500
3) Dual Rythmik FVX-15

If you want more bang for your buck and want a small project:
Dual http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ndle--300-7099 plus http://www.parts-express.com/behring...-dsp--248-6710

The dual sub suggestion assumes you are willing to place the subs properly for a good frequency response. If you are not willing to place them properly, you will be just as well off getting a single, higher quality sub:

1) JTR Captivator1400 or S1
2) Seaton F18
3) Rythmik FV15HP
I like the smaller size of sealed, that's what draws me to them, especially in a small room like mine. From reading recommendations it honestly doesn't seem like I can go wrong no matter what I get out of the ones I have listed.
bose301s is offline  
post #22 of 73 Old 01-05-2017, 12:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Bill Kentucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Southeastern WI
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by bose301s View Post
I like the smaller size of sealed, that's what draws me to them, especially in a small room like mine. From reading recommendations it honestly doesn't seem like I can go wrong no matter what I get out of the ones I have listed.
Most of the subs listed here are going to perform well for you. If it helps, shoot an email to each of the companies you're looking to purchase from. I'm a big fan of good customer service, and chatting with each of the companies should give you an idea what to expect from them.
A-rab likes this.

__________________________
Current setup: PSA MT-110 L/R, PSA MT-110c center, PSA MT-110sr surround, Dual PSA v3600 subs, Denon x4200w Receiver
Bill Kentucky is offline  
post #23 of 73 Old 01-05-2017, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 8,484
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked: 1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by bose301s
I guess the best way to phrase this is, if you had my space, and $2000 to play with, what sub and or subs would you go with. ... The overall mix would be 50/50 movies and music probably and not reference level really ... I want accuracy as #1 but with the ability to shake the room. ...

I like the smaller size of sealed, that's what draws me to them, especially in a small room like mine. ...
FWIW: A buddy of mine ran a pair of 18" sealed subs @ 475W/ea. in a ~2,025 cu.ft. basement HT room. They were great for music, they pounded HARD for HT and thanks to cabin gain they dug really deep (down to ~10Hz).

So, if it was my $2K and my 1,600 cu.ft. room, I'd go with a pair of HSU ULS-15 MK2 or PSA 15s subs.

Quote:
From reading recommendations it honestly doesn't seem like I can go wrong no matter what I get out of the ones I have listed.
That pretty much sums it up.

Last edited by eljaycanuck; 01-05-2017 at 02:55 PM.
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #24 of 73 Old 01-05-2017, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Not In a Gun-Free Zone
Posts: 2,778
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1424 Post(s)
Liked: 1194
If I were buying two 1K subs in a smallish sized room, I would get a pair of the HSU VTF-15H MK2's or VTF-3 MK5 HP's for the flexibility to run them in various ported and sealed modes. Pick your poison.

Last edited by MIX_MASTER_ICE; 01-05-2017 at 01:35 PM.
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #25 of 73 Old 01-05-2017, 01:52 PM
 
Fattykidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,292
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

If you want more bang for your buck and want a small project:
Dual http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ndle--300-7099 plus http://www.parts-express.com/behring...-dsp--248-6710
I would look at this enclosure as well.
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/ported-...-1/cube18.html
Fattykidd is offline  
post #26 of 73 Old 01-06-2017, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 5,099
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked: 2684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattykidd View Post
I would look at this enclosure as well.
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/ported-...-1/cube18.html
UM-18 driver is not well suited to small ported cabs.
bear123 is offline  
post #27 of 73 Old 01-06-2017, 11:40 AM
 
Fattykidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,292
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
UM-18 driver is not well suited to small ported cabs.
I remember when they said it wasn't suited to small sealed cabinets either... Seems to do fine..
But that's a few years old..
Fattykidd is offline  
post #28 of 73 Old 01-06-2017, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 5,099
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked: 2684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattykidd View Post
I remember when they said it wasn't suited to small sealed cabinets either... Seems to do fine..
But that's a few years old..
It models and performs well in small sealed. Models and performs well in large ported, but not small.
bear123 is offline  
post #29 of 73 Old 01-06-2017, 12:04 PM
 
Fattykidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,292
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
It models and performs well in small sealed. Models and performs well in large ported, but not small.
Which ts ? They've changed 3 times on pe website. And they are still different from what ricci measured.

It used to need 6cuft sealed to achieve .7q now it's done in 4cuft. I haven't modeled it in quite some time.. And yes back then it was not vwry desirable in small ported enclosures or sealed for matter. So if you're at your computer..
I'm not trying to mislead but it's undergone some changes since being released..
Fattykidd is offline  
post #30 of 73 Old 01-09-2017, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bose301s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 33
OK, Mark is down to only B Stock MFW-15s which are really a great price. When considering all factors including price like the fact I could get 2 MFW-15 for the price of one Captivator S1, what would you guys get, the MFW-15, Captivator S1, HSU VTF-15H MK2, Rhythmik FVX15 or FV15HP or SVS SB16-Ultra? If the MFW-15 is a great value for it's price I don't want to miss out on it.
bose301s is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off