Sealed, small footprint sub for living room <700 budget - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By amnesia0287

post #1 of 15 Old 02-08-2017, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sealed, small footprint sub for living room <700 budget

All,

I am looking for a new sub for my new home currently under construction. Attached are pics of the layout of the first floor (relevant area) and the wall where the tv and my Martin Logan Motion SLM XL speakers will be. (in ceilings through rest of the first floor).

Gear

Yamaha A1040
Martin Logan Motion SLM XL Mains
Martin Logan Motion SLM Center
Martin Logan in-ceilings for surrounds in main room, and two more for music in kitchen/dining
Second zone outdoor patio in ceiling

My goals for the sub are to be musical, fairly powerful, and get the most for my money. Doesnt necessarily have to shake the foundation, but obviously the most powerful while still having a smallish footprint and clean sound is ideal. I hope to tuck in to the back corner of the living room behind the couches. Will of course test other locations as i hope to be able to run the sub wirelessly if needed. Will pre-wire for the aforementioned location most likely.

So far from reading here i have considered

SVS SB2000
HSU ULS-15 MK2 (stretching budget)
Emotiva S12 (no reviews?)
Sunfire HRS-12 (good reviews, monster amp, small enclosure but older tech?)
Rythmik L12

I am sure i am missing something, so i would appreciate any and all feedback. I want to stick with one sub for now, despite the advantages of two. I know the system is compromised, but i want to work with the aesthetics of the house, and keep the home free of clutter on the floors as we have a young child and like things neat.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Living room.PNG
Views:	56
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1952553   Click image for larger version

Name:	first floor.PNG
Views:	51
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1952561  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-08-2017, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

I apologize, i dont know how to edit a post. I am 100% open to open box, B stock, or refurbished products. Even used.

The sunfire is available refurbished for 649.99, putting it in my budget. The SVS can be found in piano black b stock for 650 or so.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-08-2017, 01:36 PM
Hype Addict

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 197
What about streching the budget to 800 and getting dual SB12-NSDs? They are tiny. They were recently discontinued so pricing is good while they are still in stock. Still carry the same 5 year warranty. And having dual subs will give you much better bass overall.
KidHorn and TulsaCoker like this.

post #4 of 15 Old 02-08-2017, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Compared to a sunfire, the SVS SB12 are not tiny. I have both (Sunfire True Mrk IV) and SB12-NSD. From a price / performance standpoint the SVS is the winner but the sunfire sure puts out the shake for it's tiny size.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-08-2017, 01:50 PM
Hype Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaCoker View Post
Compared to a sunfire, the SVS SB12 are not tiny. I have both (Sunfire True Mrk IV) and SB12-NSD. From a price / performance standpoint the SVS is the winner but the sunfire sure puts out the shake for it's tiny size.
There is only like half an inch of increased size in like each dimension. I doubt any normal person could tell which was bigger unless they were literally side by side .

The Sunfire True Mrk IV is a much smaller sub (11" cubed) than the one he metioned as the HRS-12 is 13.5" cubed. The SB12-NSD is 14.6" x 14.2" x 14.2".

And dual subs is still gonna be a bigger advantage, even if the HRS-12 is perhaps a more capable sub (and I'm not convinced of that).
post #6 of 15 Old 02-08-2017, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1415 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
https://www.svsound.com/products/pc-2000

Takes up about 17 square inches of floor space. They're perfect for putting in a corner behind furniture of even a potted plant.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #7 of 15 Old 02-08-2017, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I picked up a Rythmik L-12 about 6 months ago and I'm blown away by it's performance.

It's in my main living room which is open to two stories and open to the kitchen/dining area and also open to the main hallway. Considering the size of the sub and the size of the room, I wasn't really sure what to expect but it provides deep, powerful, articulate bass at much louder volumes that I could have reasonably expected. I'm eventually going to add a second L12 to even out the response, but I can't recommend it more highly.

Theater: Vizio 70" P-Series 4K Display/KEF LS50 L+R/Mirage BPS 400 Sub/Anthem MRX-300/Blue Circle BC 24/Outlaw 2200/Rotel RB-1070/Oppo BDP-83/Sound Application CF-XE/GIK Acoustics Panels
Living Room: Vizio 55" M-Series SmartCast 4K HDR Display/GoldenEar 3D Array X Front L+C+R/Rythmik L-12 Sub/Denon AVR-X3200/Oppo DVD-A/SACD Player/Outlaw OAW4
post #8 of 15 Old 02-09-2017, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much, everyone. I think I am leaning towards svs or rhytmik. On a side note, I noticed a couple used svs sb12/13 plus models for sale.

I see they are much older. How do they compare to the sb-2000? That sub so far is the leader in the clubhouse for me at the moment.

Finally, how does the f12 compare to the l12?

Any and all other suggestions are welcome.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-09-2017, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

I can't fit dual subs in this space unfortunately. I know this compromises the acoustics, but I want and need to stick to one. With the kids running around plus my dog as well as my desire to keep the home fairly spartan and clutter free.

Thank you
post #10 of 15 Old 02-09-2017, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Gold View Post
Finally, how does the f12 compare to the l12?
Well, if you can afford the F12, how about the L22 instead? Same footprint as the L12, but twice the height (and cheaper than the F12).
post #11 of 15 Old 02-09-2017, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
Well, if you can afford the F12, how about the L22 instead? Same footprint as the L12, but twice the height (and cheaper than the F12).
thanks. the wife, and me honestly, would probably veto that design. we are both a little OCD and prefer a square shape.

the F12 would be a stretch, but its something i would consider if it is enough of an upgrade. i dont want to have to upgrade in the future, rather try to do it right the first time
post #12 of 15 Old 02-09-2017, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1706 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
I'd get a pair of these:

On a serious note, my top two picks, although slightly over budget, would be:
Hsu ULS-15.2
Rythmik F22

Since limited to one sub, I feel these two options would give you a very substantial output increase over anything cheaper/smaller.

Just put a cardboard mockup of the Orbit Shifters in your room for a few days. Then any sub you get will seem true to size....tiny.

Last edited by bear123; 02-09-2017 at 04:32 PM.
post #13 of 15 Old 02-09-2017, 07:54 PM
Hype Addict

Quote:
I can't fit dual subs in this space unfortunately. I know this compromises the acoustics, but I want and need to stick to one. With the kids running around plus my dog as well as my desire to keep the home fairly spartan and clutter free.

Thank you
That's totally fair. There is nothing wrong with choosing based on aesthetics. That's how I ended up with my Funks (doesn't hurt that they sound great too, but I wanted subs that would match my media console ). The people I don't get are the ones who refuse to believe two subs can actually sound massively better than one. Also apologies, i somehow spaced on that part of your OP

As to your question about the F12, I think if I was only going to get one sub, of the options you mentioned, I probably would go with Rhythmik, and at least for ME, I think the F12 would be worth the extra cost for a long term purchase. The base output might be somewhat close, but half the benefit of the Rhythmik subs is how much you can control them to dial them in and integrate into your system. The F12 has a substantially broader array of tools.

That said I don't think the L12 would be a bad choice if you did not want to stretch that far. To me its really a question of, do you think you will now or really ever want to try and really dial in your subwoofers for maximum integration? If so I would save, if you are however not one for tinkering, are likely to just drop the sub, plug it in and go, then save your money and go with either the L12 or perhaps the HSU.
post #14 of 15 Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, great feedback. I have decided to pull the trigger on an HSU ULS-15.2 after reading the outstanding reviews and user feedback. Will let everyone know how it goes. It will be replacing my dual klispch rw-12d setup.
post #15 of 15 Old Today, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1706 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
Quote:
Thanks guys, great feedback. I have decided to pull the trigger on an HSU ULS-15.2 after reading the outstanding reviews and user feedback. Will let everyone know how it goes. It will be replacing my dual klispch rw-12d setup.
Excellent choice. I think the few extra dollars you spent will be long forgotten as you enjoy the sub for hopefully many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page