Trigger Wire - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 4 Unread Today, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Trigger Wire

I want to make a 3.5mm trigger wire for turning my sub on when I turn on the AVR. The sub is in the back diagonal corner which would require a 35ft wire. I have to cross a tile/carpet walkway threshold so I need to hide it down between the tile and carpet. I already have my rear speaker wires there. I purchased a 35ft 3.5mm stereo cable but the cable is too thick to hide in the little bit of space left in the threshold.

So my thought is to make my own cable. On Parts Express I can buy two 3.5mm mono connectors and 22 AWG stranded hook up wire to make the wire. Is there any reason this won't work? Would there be an issue of running the 12v trigger wire beside the speaker wires?

I am using wireless for the audio signal and that works well. But the sub doesn't turn on until the volume is fairly loud so I thought a thin trigger wire that I can hide would work to turn the sub on.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Unread Today, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked: 1324
That should work fine.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #3 of 4 Unread Today, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks

post #4 of 4 Unread Today, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked: 1324
NP. You might want to cover the wire with heavy electrical tape, duct tape, friction tape, or similar to prevent abrasion as it goes around that threshold. Last time I did something like this, when the threshold plate did not have a routing channel, I actually routed a channel for the wire under the threshold for protection. I did not use my router, or even a pencil gouge, as they were out in the shed and I was upstairs in the house, so I just used my screwdriver. Not pretty, but it worked, and the threshold covered my messy channel.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley

Last edited by DonH50; Today at 08:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page