AVS Forum banner

HELP: I want to set up two older subs, but how do I gain-match them?

490 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  CRAW 
#1 ·
I need help, guys. I have an old SVS four foot tall cylinder sub (16-46PC with ports at the top) and an old Velodyne CT-120 with the port in the front along the bottom of the woofer. Where do I begin to gain-match these? My AVR (Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH) has only one subwoofer output. I know, old equipment. :(

General internet photos:

I've read the post here and I *kinda* know what I should be doing, but these subs are WAY different in shape. Where would I put the SPL meter? I tried putting the SPL meter on a tripod a foot off the floor and like a foot away from the CT-120's woofer. I had to crank the gain up on the sub to nearly all the way to get the SPL to read 70. I've got to be doing something wrong. This is the SPL meter I bought. Is it not what I should be using?

Please help. TYIA.

See less See more
#3 ·
This, but also, you measure from your listening position. The idea is to ensure both subs are the same volume TO YOU regardless of how far away they are or the shape of your room.

Matching two such different subwoofers, I think you would likely be better served buying something like a UMIK, as to really integrate them you will want to try and phase match them.

I'm also not entirely sure you would want to use both of them though as you would be pretty severely gimping the SVS given how much it outclasses the velodyne and that you don't have something like XT32 to try and integrate them for you.

I think you may have better luck just using the SVS to be honest.

#4 ·
Disregarding all other considerations, you could set each one independently by ear.

I have no idea, but the above poster stated they are a mismatch, getting both matched at the MLP would have one not doing all it can or the other overdriven to keep up.

I have ran 2 mismatched subs before, I just adjusted one the best I could by ear and then turned it off, adjusted the other one and ran them both.....it sounded alright/decent.

Keep in mind I said this is disregarding all other considerations, as I have no idea how good or bad that made my room response or how flat or peaky it might have been.

I think matching them at MLP needs semi close capability subs and even then I imagine there would be a distance limitation on being able to do that.

I am not sure what the official/commonly accepted practice would be, but doing it my way would get each one doing all it can and will not be overdriving any of them or under driving one.

Only REW and a mic would tell you exactly what is happening and allow you to get the best sound..........going by ear can get you close to at least what sounds passable/usable to your ears.

Sans getting the REW and a mic, trial and error by ear would my guess as to what to do.

You might get a sound that is pleasing to you, or never get more than one to sound right to you in your room for the content you play.........

When I had your situation, I did as I stated above and chose to run the good one in a ideal room spot and shove the other one firing directly into the back of my seat......:D

#9 ·
Hi,

I think you have already gotten some good advice. I really don't believe that a better SPL meter is going to help you much here. Both subs are ported, so that helps. But, the SVS sub has much deeper extension than the Velodyne. Its specs say that it only goes down to 25Hz (quasi-anechoic). One option, as suggested, would be to just run the SVS sub, and let your AVR level-match it to your other channels. Then, adjust to taste. Your other option, also suggested above, would be to put the Velodyne very close to your listening position (using a Y-connector to connect both subs) and adjust the gains on the two subs by ear to find the best blend you can.

I would probably try both options to see which one sounded better to me. But, all of this is definitely a trial-and-error process, to find out what actually sounds best to you. And, sub placement could be an important factor in that.

Regards,
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.