AVS Forum banner

Do you insulate Your lounge legs with Rubber for Shakers

5K views 37 replies 7 participants last post by  Blackman 
#1 ·
I would like that members that have experience with Tactile Transducers shakers can answer this for me.

We have a Dayton SA 230 Sub Amp with 4 Aura-Sound AST -2B Shaker where the main lounge that has 2 Shakers and either side chairs share one shaker each (Plug in cabling goes between lounge and Chairs) and all woks successfully for one year but what I would like to know is DO YOU INSULATE THE LEGS GOING from the lounge to the Floor (Carper and Concrete).
Our House has Concrete Floor, and the main Lounge has 6 Legs Measurement are 2 1/2 inch Square by 2 inch high (4 legs for the Side chairs either side) and they are supported by a single screw up the middle
screwing into the lounge.
Now what I would like to know what Insulation can I use to Insulate the Lounge from the Concrete floor (Carpet in between) so the Shakers can work Better as someone has told me yesterday that you must Insulate the Lounge and the Chairs from the Carpet/Concrete floor. What Can I do?. Can I use thick Rubber 1/4 or 1/2 inch in between the Square legs and the Lounge to insulate it this way
Any help Appreciated for this issue

#3 ·
I went to Dollar Tree and got 6 Pinky High Bounce balls and then cut each in half and put one under each contact point with the floor. Any baseball sized bounce ball should work. They are easy to cut with a sharp knife, I used a chef knife. They are made of a medium density foam rubber and they made a huge difference in how effective my TT's are. I even use them under my subs for isolation too.( The balls can be painted as well if you can see them in your app)

Birdhouse Wood Plywood Audio equipment Subwoofer

(Please forgive the un-Duratexed Marty pic I'm waiting for warm enough weather to paint 3 different enclosures balls included) ;)

Reactions: Blackman
#6 ·
View attachment 1961793
(Please forgive the un-Duratexed Marty pic I'm waiting for warm enough weather to paint 3 different enclosures balls included) ;)
ha
You should live on the East Coast of Australia. We have had and still having a Record Heat wave. Yesterday it was 39.4 C (102.5 Deg) in the city on the Ocean. Out West it was 47.7 Degrees C (117.8 Deg F). Cook your Eggs and Bacon on a Shovel on the ground .LOL

#4 ·
#8 · (Edited)
This is exactaly why I used the soft bounce balls. I had read about the buttkicker ones being softer than other rubber feet about the same time I read about a sub project that used these pink balls for isolation. I had first tried some hard rubber pads but switching to the medium density balls made all the diff in the world. My single buttkicker went from kinda impressive to insane and able to blur your vision.

ha
You should live on the East Coast of Australia. We have had and still having a Record Heat wave. Yesterday it was 39.4 C (102.5 Deg) in the city on the Ocean. Out West it was 47.7 Degrees C (117.8 Deg F). Cook your Eggs and Bacon on a Shovel on the ground .LOL
Wow....:eek: I have worked and fished in weather that hot in Texas man and it's unbearable. I bet Duratex would dry faster than you can roll it on in that heat. I hope that temps get back to normal for you soon brother that kinda heat is dangerous.

Yes to the isolation being necessary if you want the best from your TT's especially on concrete. Just go as soft as you can without deforming when you put the weight on them. The Buttkicker ones are great but expensive in the quantity you need and another reason I looked for something DIY. The balls I used would cost less than $20 (prob less) here where the 14 buttkicker ones will prob be close to $65 (prob more) before shipping. YMMV Down Under.....:D

#5 ·
Yep I need 14 off them. 6 for he main lounge and 4 for each chair. When the Guy told me of this I thought it was Fantasy but I was living in Fantasy land for not believing him.
So by the Look at it they are very important to have. Specially on a Concrete Floor.

#7 ·
remember to order according to weight
BUTTKICKER » BK-RDB-SERIES

Model# BK-RDB-120,BK-RDB-220,BK-RDB-375

Product Specifications
RDB-120 Rated up to 120 lbs.
RDB-220 Rated up to 220 lbs.
RDB-375 Rated up to 375 lbs.

#9 ·
remember to order according to weight
BUTTKICKER » BK-RDB-SERIES

Model# BK-RDB-120,BK-RDB-220,BK-RDB-375

Product Specifications
RDB-120 Rated up to 120 lbs.
RDB-220 Rated up to 220 lbs.
RDB-375 Rated up to 375 lbs.
I was only thinking about this last night whilst trying to get to sleep because lounges have different weights and so do people sitting on it.
Very Good Point!

#17 · (Edited)
The weight should cause the ball to stay in place as the balls are soft enough that the couch slider foot sinks in a little and the ball can't slide out but I used hot glue. I don't plan to ever remove them because they also work great to prevent scratching the wood floors and keep the couch in position.

#13 ·
from the butkicker faq

How to Determine How Many Isolators You Will Need
Isolators come in different weight capacities.

All isolators are designed to be partially compressed in application and therefore, numerous models are made with varying weight specifications. This specification (, RDB-120, RDB-220 RDB-375)indicates the amount of weight (in lbs.) that each isolator is designed to support (per isolator) for greatest efficiency.

Calculate the total weight to be carried by the isolator, including platform, chairs and people. Divide this weight by the total number of isolator feet to be used (i.e. a minimum of 3, a usual number of 4, more when necessary). This will give you the weight per isolator. Pick the isolator model closest to your calculated weight. Enjoy!

and

Rubber Isolators
Guitammer recommends using Kinetic Noise Control Isolators when installing ButtKicker transducers on risers, platforms and stages, and the smaller RI-K28 rubber isolators for use with furniture.

Guitammer and it's sales agents resell the following isolators:

RDB-120 Neoprene Isolator (Most Commonly Recommended)
RDB-220 Neoprene Isolator (Heavier Applications)
RDA-55 Neoprene Isolator (Lighter Applications)

Isolator Information: www.kineticsnoise.com/hvac/rd.html

Reactions: NNG and Blackman
#14 ·
from the butkicker faq

How to Determine How Many Isolators You Will Need
Isolators come in different weight capacities.

All isolators are designed to be partially compressed in application and therefore, numerous models are made with varying weight specifications. This specification (, RDB-120, RDB-220 RDB-375)indicates the amount of weight (in lbs.) that each isolator is designed to support (per isolator) for greatest efficiency.

Calculate the total weight to be carried by the isolator, including platform, chairs and people. Divide this weight by the total number of isolator feet to be used (i.e. a minimum of 3, a usual number of 4, more when necessary). This will give you the weight per isolator. Pick the isolator model closest to your calculated weight. Enjoy!

and

Rubber Isolators
Guitammer recommends using Kinetic Noise Control Isolators when installing ButtKicker transducers on risers, platforms and stages, and the smaller RI-K28 rubber isolators for use with furniture.

Guitammer and it's sales agents resell the following isolators:

RDB-120 Neoprene Isolator (Most Commonly Recommended)
RDB-220 Neoprene Isolator (Heavier Applications)
RDA-55 Neoprene Isolator (Lighter Applications)

Isolator Information: www.kineticsnoise.com/hvac/rd.html
Thank.you.
This is the Info I needed

Reactions: littlefoott
#22 ·
Reactions: biga6761
#24 ·
Thanks for all the info @Blackman. I'll pick some up. Keep me updated with how things turn out.

#25 ·
All option are open if this one fails

#28 ·
Just an update. I stopped by the local Dollar Tree and found some of the Pinky Balls. They also had a slightly smaller colorful swirled ball that was slightly denser. IMHO the Pinky is just a tad too big and a tad too mushy...so the slightly smaller and firmer swirl ball might be just perfect. I picked up 8 of the Pinky Balls and 12 of the others. I can post pics of both if anybody needs them. I'm going to try them both and see which I prefer. I bought out all the Pinky balls...but still tons of the swirl balls left if someone can't source them locally. They were $1 each.

#30 ·
I'm still waiting for my delivery for my high bouncing balls. Will let you all know how they are as to too mushy or to hard. Monday could be lucky as the post is slow our way

#33 ·
Even if I get the bouncing Balls on Monday or Tuesday and I find them to be HOLLOW I will fill them with this Salastic because the732 RTV salastic is very rubber like. Well I will say I will have to buy one or two tube to do if.

#34 · (Edited)
Right!!

The Bouncy Ball arrive today and Me thinks that they are too Hard. Yes Its 100% solid with Rubber. If I try 75% of my Energy of my thumb I can get my thumb nail in them only about 3MM. Once the nail comes out It goes like Before and you cannot see where my nail was.

The Below Photo show the 57 MM Balls. I think 2.1/4 inch

I took me 2 Minutes to cut one in half with a Razor Knife (Box Cutter)

#35 ·
The above balls are to hard as I cannot get my thumb nail without forcing more than 3mm.

I have purchased from the US ebay the Pinky Balls.

#36 ·
Well I put this Post on the Australia DTV Forum.

Well after i was Told on the AVS Forum to insulate your Lounge legs from the Concrete floor and what to use I search the Planet for these "PINKY BOUNCY BALLS" and I had to import them from the US at a small price of $21 US Dollars ($51 US Dollars for the Shipping) for a Box of 12.

It Took me and my Daughter 5 Hours to cut the Hole on the multi layer fabric on the bottom of the Lounge and the chairs and use Upholstery staples to hold the Fabric together .
I purchased other Australia bouncy balls from AMART, EBAY and after getting a Sample of them I found them not to be good for insulating according to test from the AVS guys
All I can say If you have "SHAKERS" in you System and you want to turn a Good Shaker system to a GREAT one buy this Pinky Shaker Balls and cut them in half (easy to do with a Razor knives)

WOW! "INCREDIBLE" and I was able to the reduce the power to the Shakers by 2db on the rear adjustment on the Dayton SA230 Shaker Amp.
(Make sure you keep your mouth slightly Open otherwise you will lose you fillings in you teeth)

Took 5 hours to cut the Material on the bottom of the lounge and the Chairs and secure the material with upholstery nails.

The Half cut Pinky Bouncy Balls

Reactions: biga6761
#37 · (Edited)
Now you just need to add you a Buttkicker LFE and proper spec'ed amp and you can feel down to 5hz with vision blurring authority. I liked it so much I added a 2nd Buttkicker with it's own bridged QSC RMX 1450 for a matched pair and 3000 watts total to the same couch.

So glad you were able to find the exact ones I use and find them as effective as I do. I find the Pinky's to be the right density for all kinds of DIY uses. I've even seen a speaker stand design around the web somewhere that has like 10 of them in a channel inside the stand to isolate vibrations to the floor. Maybe not so elegant but effective none the less.

#38 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.