The Ultimate List of BASS in Movies w/ Frequency Charts - Page 91 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4004Likes

post #2701 of 3177 Old 09-22-2017, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
This is how bad it is. When the wife falls asleep on the couch watching tv, I run my hand over her to check if she's asleep then sneak into my room. Two minutes later she's in there. How do they do that! She calls my room the Mistress
Dooh, it’s the 120+dB’s of 6Hz sine wawes you keep playing that wakes her up, man !
coolrda, SuperFist and unretarded like this.

Triple Atmos Receivers
Atmos 13.1.8/DTS:X 9.1.8/AURO 3D 12.1

My setup:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-wha...l#post41323201
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 3177 Old 09-22-2017, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked: 5879
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
You are very welcome! All of this becomes simpler as we think about it and experiment with our own systems, while listening (and/or measuring) critically.

Using a calibrator can be a good idea to help get you started on new equipment, particularly if you have some very sophisticated software involved. But, it's sort of a one-time shot, and you may find that you end up wanting to change some things, anyway. It may be very hard, for instance, to use exactly the same settings for all of your music and movie listening.

I think that as you continue to read and ask questions, and then as you listen to the differences in the various settings, you will start to discover what really works best in your room and with your audio system. Measurements can also help to accelerate that process.

It sounds as if you are going to have a very nice audio system.

Regards,
Mike
I 100% agree. Having a calibrator come in seems like a good idea at the time but as time goes by you begin to realize you don't understand how your system is setup, why it is set up that way or how to tweak it if you don't like something.

And many of us have found through time we like a setup with extra hot bass or some other variant that most calibrators would not set up for because it's out of the "Norm" so to speak.

IMO if we are going to spend all this money on great equipment we owe it to ourselves to learn how to dial it in to our personal likes and dislikes. Others may may disagree but I agree with you Mike... having control over the HT is essential.

Subwoofers: dual PSA V3601's with a PSA XV15se nearfield
Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210 Center- PSA 110sr Surrounds
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203
Denon X4200 - Panamax M4300 - Apple TV - Xbox360 - Crowson Motion Actuator's
post #2703 of 3177 Old 09-22-2017, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I just finished watching Sinister on Blu Ray and came here to see if it was already graphed and it is. I had to back down sub trim -3dB through the AVR to keep it from chuffing or distorting at the very end. Lots of loud 30-50hz stuff and a few spots where it really belts out something 20hz or below. A couple of scenes in the attic really sneak up on you.

Noticed Inception isn't graphed yet or I missed it. I've seen it a million times but not with the new sub yet. About to take the Blu Ray for a spin and see what it's like.
SuperFist likes this.

Samsung UN65KS8000
Denon AVR-X3300W | Infinity SM-125 x 4 | Klipsch RP-250C | Velodyne CT-120 | PSA V1500

post #2704 of 3177 Old 09-22-2017, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
A

Having what we call "Reserve" or "Head room". This is another long topic. But the short of it is this. In a perfect world we are able to keep all AVR channel level Trims in the negative range. (-1 or more). Putting a trim in the positive rage can lead to clipping and/or distortion of that channel. This happens when the AVR tries to dive this channel to a dynamic loud scene and you are starting in a "positive trim" range at Ref average.

I see this happen mostly on Sub Level trims. On most subs, you now have two sets of trims to manage. The AVR LFE channel trim and the Sub Amp Trim itself. A rule of thumb here is you want the AVR LFE Sub Trim to be in the -4 to -8 range. This leaves adequate Sub Trim headroom. You use the Sub Amp trim to set the Ref Average Level. There is mush more about this in the Audyssey Part II Thread and in @mthomas47 Guide to Subwoofer Levels.

"Official" Audyssey thread Part II
Im using Anthem Room Correction software, and from reading various sources it seems the advice is to use an SPL meter to set the gain on my S1's to 72dB (I have 2 subs). This results in the gain knob being down at about 9 o'clock. Because of this, ARC then sets the trim level at about 0, but then adds 'Room Gain' of about +4, resulting in a + trim level. If i turn the gain knob higher the SPL is more like 80-85dB, and then ARC gives me more like a -4dB, with the added 'Room Gain' bringing it to about 0. I'm confused as to which way i should be doing this.
post #2705 of 3177 Old 09-22-2017, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 3399 Post(s)
Liked: 4999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott27 View Post
Im using Anthem Room Correction software, and from reading various sources it seems the advice is to use an SPL meter to set the gain on my S1's to 72dB (I have 2 subs). This results in the gain knob being down at about 9 o'clock. Because of this, ARC then sets the trim level at about 0, but then adds 'Room Gain' of about +4, resulting in a + trim level. If i turn the gain knob higher the SPL is more like 80-85dB, and then ARC gives me more like a -4dB, with the added 'Room Gain' bringing it to about 0. I'm confused as to which way i should be doing this.
In general, you want to let the subwoofer amp do the work, as I said in a post on the previous page. When the AVR trim level is near 0.0, or in positive numbers, the possibility of experiencing some clipping of the subwoofer signal increases. This is not some sort of absolute rule. Many people run their subs with positive AVR trim numbers and don't have a problem. But, if I had a choice, I would follow the recommendation of several sub makers and keep my AVR trim in negative numbers.

To do that, you will have to start with your gain higher. And, adding more sub boost after calibration is easy if you just increase the gain on the sub some more. If you want to understand all of this in more detail, the subwoofer guide linked below offers a more thorough explanation. Even though it was written with Audyssey in mind, the same general principles apply to other systems of calibration and automated EQ.

Regards,
Mike
post #2706 of 3177 Old 09-22-2017, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
Elysium (2013) Graph

Just wow! Everyone needs to own this movie!.
It needs to be turned up but when you give it juice it GOES!!
And you feel the wobble bass, mid bass and deep bass doing it's thing without rest -
when its called for.
If this gets a 4K release all it needs is a health dB boost and that's it.
I never liked this movie a few years back for reason i can pinpoint but i love it now.
Don't sleep on this one.
I picked up the Blomkamp³ Limited Edition Collection DigiBook combo -
which was cheap and a nice collection to have for the price and movies

carp, Mike Butny, galonzo and 8 others like this.

Receiver - Sony STR-DH550
Fronts - Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-280F
Center
- Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-450C
Surrounds - Trash
Sub - Rythmik FV15HP
The Ultimate List of BASS in Movies w/ Frequency Charts Heavy Cinematic | Heavy Electronic|

Last edited by MrGrey; 09-22-2017 at 07:32 PM.
post #2707 of 3177 Old 09-22-2017, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Haven't played with my system in a long time. Wife and kids are gonna be out the house this weekend. Gonna dust off my remote tomorrow after the range. So thinkin some back tracks like WOTW or maybe Oblivion. I don't even know what's good nowadays with movies down single digits. So out of it.. Anyone recommend anything?
post #2708 of 3177 Old 09-22-2017, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Haven't played with my system in a long time. Wife and kids are gonna be out the house this weekend. Gonna dust off my remote tomorrow after the range. So thinkin some back tracks like WOTW or maybe Oblivion. I don't even know what's good nowadays with movies down single digits. So out of it.. Anyone recommend anything?

Center
Surrounds - Trash
Sub - Rythmik FV15HP
The Ultimate List of BASS in Movies w/ Frequency Charts Heavy Cinematic | Heavy Electronic|
post #2709 of 3177 Old 09-22-2017, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrey View Post
Elysium (2013) Graph

And you feel the wobble bass, mid bass and deep bass doing it's thing without rest -
when its called for.
I never liked this movie a few years back for reason i can pinpoint but i love it now.
Don't sleep on this one.

Yeah Elysium is a really fun watch. Top notch audio/visual and action certainly help. I found the story a little bit "preachy" though
gworrel, MrGrey, biga6761 and 1 others like this.

TV: Panasonic P65ST60
AVR: Denon X-1000
Speakers: PSA MTM-210C, PSA MTM-210's, PSA MT-110's
Subwoofers: SVS PB-2000 x 4
post #2710 of 3177 Old 09-22-2017, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 965
Quote:

I'm gonna go ahead and frame that and put it up on the mantel.
MrGrey likes this.
post #2711 of 3177 Old 09-22-2017, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Elysium (2013) Graph

when its called for.
Don't sleep on this one.

BAM !!!

Just got it, 14.99 new free shipping !
MrGrey likes this.

Link to budget Home Theater build

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...i-version.html
post #2712 of 3177 Old 09-22-2017, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Chappie (2015) Graph

I saw this in IMAX and it was a fun. my sister loved it.

Chappie has the most realistic and well integrated CGI Robot/ Main Character to date!!

galonzo, KMFDMvsEnya and biga6761 like this.

Center
Surrounds - Trash
Sub - Rythmik FV15HP
post #2713 of 3177 Old 09-22-2017, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
I'm gonna go ahead and frame that and put it up on the mantel.
Haha👍 i just graphed Chappie so you can check that one out also.
coolrda likes this.

Center
Surrounds - Trash
Sub - Rythmik FV15HP
post #2714 of 3177 Old 09-22-2017, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
BAM !!!

Just got it, 14.99 new free shipping !
It's a steal
unretarded likes this.

Center
Surrounds - Trash
Sub - Rythmik FV15HP
post #2715 of 3177 Old 09-22-2017, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I just placed an order with Amazon for the 3-pack with Elysium / Chappie / District 9. Not too bad for $15 but says shipping will take a week. Broke down and ordered EoT on Bluray too while I was at it. This forum is a bad influence.

Interstellar was hard to pass up for $10 but I've heard it may be coming out in 4k in the next month or so.

Watching Inception right now on Bluray and glad I turned the sub trim down -3dB from watching Sinister. The first time she enters one of Leo's dreams and everything starts falling apart / blowing up is intense.
SuperFist, MrGrey and unretarded like this.

Samsung UN65KS8000
Denon AVR-X3300W | Infinity SM-125 x 4 | Klipsch RP-250C | Velodyne CT-120 | PSA V1500
post #2716 of 3177 Old 09-22-2017, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Inception (2010) Graph

01:19:00 into the movie is one of the most well acted, gut and heart wrenching scenes I've ever experienced in a movie! it gets me every single time.

SuperFist, biga6761 and Gob Bluth like this.

Center
Surrounds - Trash
Sub - Rythmik FV15HP

Last edited by MrGrey; 09-22-2017 at 09:23 PM.
post #2717 of 3177 Old 09-22-2017, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hi Adam,

...As noted, in your post, it is a good idea to always try to keep subwoofer AVR trims in the negative range--ideally at least -3 to -5. But, as I understand that, and as I quote some audio experts as saying in the subwoofer guide linked below, that is because you specifically want the voltage which powers your subs to come from the subwoofer amp and not from the AVR amp. The higher your AVR trim level is (and particularly above about -3) the more it is your AVR amp which is powering the subwoofer. Keeping the AVR trim level low for the subs, and using the subwoofer gain control to increase the sub boost, keeps the signal cleaner and helps to prevent clipping or other issues.

But, the situation is different for the regular channels. They are actually supposed to be powered by the AVR (or by an appropriate external amp) and there is nothing inherently wrong with having positive trim levels for those channels. This isn't really something that is subject to user control anyway. It will depend entirely on the relative sensitivity of the speakers, and on their distance from the MLP. When an AVR runs a calibration routine, using a 75db test signal, it will measure the FR of each speaker as it is at the MLP. And, it will set trim levels accordingly.

With a sub, if you don't like your trim levels, and want them to be deeper into the negative range, you can easily get them there by raising the gain control on your sub. That will increase the measured SPL of the sub and cause the automated calibration program to set a lower corresponding AVR trim level. But, we don't have a separate amplifier to allow us to do that with our regular channels, so our AVR trim levels for those channels are whatever they are. And, that is usually fine.

In my room, for instance, one pair of my speakers are (deliberately) 21' away from my MLP. There is no way, that I am getting solidly negative trim settings from that distance. But, that's okay. As long as I exercise reasonable bass management, I still have plenty of headroom to play as loudly as I want to. People who really want to play at Reference (0.0 MV) or higher, need to be mindful of both good bass management protocols and of the sensitivity of their speakers. But, for the vast majority of HT systems (and users), Reference volumes will be much too loud anyway, and the speakers will be perfectly capable of playing with sufficient headroom, even at positive trim levels.

Again, the whole positive/negative trim level dichotomy is based on the advisability of using subwoofer amplifiers for the subs, rather than AVR amplifiers, and it applies only to the subs. Of course, if someone has excessively high trim levels for the regular channels, and is exceeding their capabilities, then larger, more sensitive speakers may be required. Horn speakers are especially capable of producing high SPL, for instance.

I hope that this explanation is helpful.

Regards,
Mike
^^THE MISSING LINK SOLVED!! This is beautifully explained! THANNNNK YOU. It's been a patient journey getting my subs tuned (dual 15's)!

The mid bass was lacking, the deep bass was drowning out the highs-ugggh!

All along, User error Before, I had the AVR trim at +3.

I adjusted the AVR trim to -4, and raised the Bass/Sub/Input trim in YPAO bass management.

An amazing difference! the mid-bass thumps, I hear MUCH better clarity between highs & deep bass. Thanks again!!

JVC RX-450 - a living legend.
post #2718 of 3177 Old 09-22-2017, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:

Hmm.. I'll take HSR and WW with Dolby ATMOS to go please! Thanks MrGrey!
MrGrey likes this.
post #2719 of 3177 Old 09-23-2017, 02:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 50
So yeah, based on the recommendations of the fine people in this thread, I got 3 movies in the mail and immediately watched them...

Wonder Woman (4K Steelbook)
Jupiter Ascending 4K
Blade Runner 4K

Yes, yes, and yes!! All 3 are winners, but on my particular system and calibration, Jupiter Ascending sounded particularly jaw-dropping

Thanks for all the work graphing, Mr Grey!!
galonzo, grtuck and MrGrey like this.

Mitsubishi 73" 1080P, Samsung K8500, Fire TV, Marantz 6011, Rotel 1075 (Atmos)
DefTech SM 65 (X7), SVS PC12-Plus (X2), SVS Prime Elevation (X4)
Headphone rig: PC-> Schiit Wyrd ->Schiit Modi Multibit ->Stax SRM-1 Mk2 Pro -> Stax SRM-252S -> Schiit Jotunheim
Headphones: Stax SR-207, Stax SR-L700, Monoprice M1060, Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart, Sennheiser HD600, Sennheiser HD6XX, etc...
post #2720 of 3177 Old 09-23-2017, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I love it when people have online conversations with themselves

It happens all the time!

I was typing from my phone and can never seem to get the quote right.
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.

Marantz 7704
2 Outlaw 7140s
Speakers- my own creation!
subs 2 XXX ported SLLT.
post #2721 of 3177 Old 09-23-2017, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
Finally popped in Wonder Woman and man that movie had my sub singing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2722 of 3177 Old 09-23-2017, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
If by "singing" you mean "blowing the roof off the house" then I had a very similar experience.
BornSlippyZ and The Hotness like this.

Video: Samsung 65KS8000
Audio: Denon AVR-X4100W 5.1.4 Atmos
Base Layer - Pioneer Andrew Jones (2nd gen) 2xFS52+1xC22+2xBS22
Heights - 4 x NHT SuperZero 2.1
Subwoofers - DIY - The Two Towers - 1 Tower Complete
post #2723 of 3177 Old 09-23-2017, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I put the Wonder Woman BD on last night and was blown away by both the movie and the bass. Great movie.
galonzo, BornSlippyZ and biga6761 like this.

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #2724 of 3177 Old 09-23-2017, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
If by "singing" you mean "blowing the roof off the house" then I had a very similar experience.
Lol, true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
I put the Wonder Woman BD on last night and was blown away by both the movie and the bass. Great movie.
Holy cow! After only watching the first 45 minutes on Tuesday, I'm finally finishing Wonder Woman. Initially, I honestly wondered what all the bass hype was about, as the first hour is lacking (much like Hacksaw Ridge). However, as soon as they arrive at "no man's land", the bass is plentiful, extremely loud, but also very well done. I'm consistently getting peaks of 118-120dB! This is watching at -5mv with subs +10dB hot.

Speakers: PSA (MT-110 x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2); SVS Satellite x4
Subs: PSA V1801 x2 & V1800 x2, B1200D x2
Actuators: Crowson Tech Shadow-8 x2
Processing/EQ: Denon X4200, MiniDSP HD x2, NU6000DSP
post #2725 of 3177 Old 09-23-2017, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015) Graph

This movie has a 4K Digital Intermediate and Dolby Vision -
so hopefully Disney announces the 4K release soon.

There is bass down to 5hz-10hz.

This was previously graphed but like a few
movies it was with the newer software off by around 5 or so dB.

Center
Surrounds - Trash
Sub - Rythmik FV15HP

Last edited by MrGrey; 09-23-2017 at 11:18 PM.
post #2726 of 3177 Old 09-24-2017, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (2016) Graph

This movie will test your system for sure!

galonzo, SuperFist, grtuck and 1 others like this.

Center
Surrounds - Trash
Sub - Rythmik FV15HP
post #2727 of 3177 Old 09-24-2017, 03:40 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Chappie (2015) Graph

I saw this in IMAX and it was a fun. my sister loved it.

Chappie has the most realistic and well integrated CGI Robot/ Main Character to date!!

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/07/how...tory-was-made/

Quote:
The likes of Guardians of the Galaxy’s Rocket and Groot are increasingly commonplace... Perhaps the high watermark for CGI success so far though (at least when you're talking about silver-screen robots) is Chappie, which came out earlier this year.
I've always meant to see this movie, but I actually forgot about it until you mentioned it here!

Thanks for the recommendation!
MrGrey likes this.

Last edited by SuperFist; 09-24-2017 at 03:56 AM.
post #2728 of 3177 Old 09-24-2017, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/07/how...tory-was-made/

I've always meant to see this movie, but I actually forgot about it until you mentioned it here!

Thanks for the recommendation!
Be sure to get the UHD version, it also has a awsome Atmos track

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Chappi...lu-ray/145676/

Triple Atmos Receivers
Atmos 13.1.8/DTS:X 9.1.8/AURO 3D 12.1

My setup:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-wha...l#post41323201
post #2729 of 3177 Old 09-24-2017, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Hmm.. I'll take HSR and WW with Dolby ATMOS to go please! Thanks MrGrey!
Check out Alien Covenant also
post #2730 of 3177 Old 09-24-2017, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked: 5879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
Lol, true.Holy cow! After only watching the first 45 minutes on Tuesday, I'm finally finishing Wonder Woman. Initially, I honestly wondered what all the bass hype was about, as the first hour is lacking (much like Hacksaw Ridge). However, as soon as they arrive at "no man's land", the bass is plentiful, extremely loud, but also very well done. I'm consistently getting peaks of 118-120dB! This is watching at -5mv with subs +10dB hot.
This is good news! All this talk about Wonder Woman having great bass is good to hear. I saw it in the theater and felt like it would be a great addition to my movie collection as long as the mixers did their job and mixed it well. I'm happy to hear they did the movie justice. I really liked the movie so I'm definitely picking it up.
audiofan1 likes this.

Subwoofers: dual PSA V3601's with a PSA XV15se nearfield
Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210 Center- PSA 110sr Surrounds
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203
Denon X4200 - Panamax M4300 - Apple TV - Xbox360 - Crowson Motion Actuator's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page