post #1 of 15 Old 03-11-2017, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yamaha Rx-A2060 - Rel T7/i

Hey guys,

I'm in the need of some advice please?

I'm in the process of building a system for my house and have just purchased an A2060 after a fair bit of research.

I have also purchased a Rel T7/I subwoofer for the system.

I'm just in the process of on bench testing the components I have as I have yet to put sound proofing and plasterboard in place and this is where I have come up with some confusion.

When I have come to connect the subwoofer I cant seem to get it to work.

I have wired as per the Rel instructions (red wire to right had red terminal, yellow wire to left hand red terminal, black wire to left hand black terminal) to a speaker output as the A2060 only has an audio jack for the subwoofer.

What would be the suggestion to try next? Am I right in thinking that I will need a audio jack and combine the red/yellow wires together to connect to the Yamaha audio out for the subwoofer and leave the black wire floating?

Many Thanks

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-11-2017, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1292 Post(s)
Liked: 1901
Based on pics on the T/7i and A2060 product pages, it looks like you should run a single male-RCA-to-male-RCA connection:
- from the SUBWOOFER 1 (FRONT) output on the receiver;
- to the LOW .1 / LFE input on the subwoofer.

Last edited by eljaycanuck; 03-11-2017 at 06:36 AM.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-11-2017, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

many thanks, ill give that a try, I wonder if you would know if this be the same if I was to use the REL Arrow system?

post #4 of 15 Old 03-11-2017, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Send a message via Yahoo to ChromeJob Send a message via Skype™ to ChromeJob
Yamaha Rx-A2060 - Rel T7/i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianyork View Post
....When I have come to connect the subwoofer I cant seem to get it to work.

I have wired as per the Rel instructions (red wire to right had red terminal, yellow wire to left hand red terminal, black wire to left hand black terminal) to a speaker output as the A2060 only has an audio jack for the subwoofer.

What would be the suggestion to try next? Am I right in thinking that I will need a audio jack and combine the red/yellow wires together to connect to the Yamaha audio out for the subwoofer and leave the black wire floating?

Pardon the snarkiness, but this doesn't sound like you've read the instructions for both. The A2060 surely has an RCA LFE out connection for powered subs, doesn't this sub have a line-level LFE IN connection? The manual should describe the req'd settings for using it in this manner.

The first part of a bench test is RTFM and proper setup.

.... Oh, I think I see some confusion (finally loaded the Rel product page). It has TWO "low level" RCA connections?? => Definitely RTFM.
Madmax67 likes this.

“Phil? Phil Connors?!”
Are ya new here? Please read FAQs and forum stickies. Like posts that help you. Don't ask a question and then disappear.
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 03-11-2017 at 08:09 AM.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-11-2017, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
many thanks, ill give that a try, I wonder if you would know if this be the same if I was to use the REL Arrow system?
It's always better to do the hard wire rca if you can. However
Subwoofers can be very finicky when it comes to where in the
Room (placement) they sound and perform the best. You are
Fortunate to have both systems available to you.
(Providing that you have multiple placement options)

Anthem MRX-300-Outlaw Audio M2200
Rythmik F12 subs
Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)
Assassin HTPC (movies)
post #6 of 15 Old 03-11-2017, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

hi chromejob, I was waiting for this type of response, yes I have read both manuals several times while I was setting it up and they contradict connections.

I can tell you the Yamaha manual has a thrilling 199 pages to digest and 25 on the rel.

Yamaha says use this single connection point, rel pushes to use the Neutrik plug and 6 different connection types on the amp side; none of which were aligned with the Yamaha offering.

So yes I asked because I wasn't sure and sure as hell wasn't wanting to damage anything especially since there is more than one option on the phono connection method as you have spotted.

eljaycanuck, thank you for the assistance, up and running now

grasshoppers, currently have no ceilings in the room (and the floor will be coming up soon as well) it is getting installed in and have plans for stud walling so cabling can go wherever at the moment, I'm in no rush as I want it right and not cutting corners
post #7 of 15 Old 03-11-2017, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Rels can be connected with high and low level input at the same time.
For stereo listening, it is a good idea to use the high level between the amp and the sub.
To do so you connect the red wire of the provided cable to the red output of the front right speaker and the yellow wire to the red output of your left front speaker and then connect the black cable (ground) to either back output of the fron speakers. Inverting the red and yellow wires does not result in any sort of issue. Insert the neutik connector into the sub.
You can now playback any source, but make sure to have the receiver (Yamaha) outputing full range to the mains in other words do not bass manage. Use the Pure direct function to be sure you are not processing the signal going to the mains. Set the crossover knob on your sub at 80 Hz. Play some music and adjust the volume marked High Level on the subwoofer.
Now start adjusting sub position, levels, crossover.
For movies connect the RCA line level cable between receiver and sub. For movie listening bass manage as you would with a normal sub and adjoust levels accordingly.

Once you have finished sell your Rel and get a real sub!!!
post #8 of 15 Old 03-11-2017, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norixone View Post
Once you have finished sell your Rel and get a real sub!!!
Am I reading the website information for the sub correctly? $999 for an 8", 200W sub? Could get a lot more for that price.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-11-2017, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the advice norixone, definitely something ill have a look at. I paid about half that amount DTM52, the room its going into isn't massive so don't need a massive sub, plus I preferred the option of 2 smaller subs if needed rather than 1 more powerful sub
post #10 of 15 Old 03-11-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
thanks for the advice norixone, definitely something ill have a look at. I paid about half that amount DTM52, the room its going into isn't massive so don't need a massive sub, plus I preferred the option of 2 smaller subs if needed rather than 1 more powerful sub
How big is your room (CuFt)?
post #11 of 15 Old 03-12-2017, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 100
If you need something small. Go with a SVS SB-2000. Its about the same size as the Rel. It can be had in piano black if thats your thing. And output wise it will stomp that Rel into the ground. Its also cheaper. Id return the Rel if at all possible.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-12-2017, 09:43 AM

Or you may want to look at a ported sub if you are looking to use it for movies. You can get a discount if you look at the outlet on the SVS website. I bought 4 Prime Satellites from their outlet and could find no visible damage on them.

Room size will give you an idea of how much you will get out of a sub. For my 2700 cuft room I have 2 subs, a 12" SVS and and an 18" JTR. Prior to these I had an 8" and it was virtually silent.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-13-2017, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

cubic ft im at 1451, bearing in mind this isn't a dedicated theatre room but a living room and I have to make it discrete to keep the wife happy (hence in wall/ceiling installation albeit the sub). a system in the man cave is way in the distant future.

I had a look at the SVS and over here it was £300 more than what I paid for the REL so I think I will hedge my bets with that for now but thank you for the recommendation. If the REL doesn't do what im after I can always use it elsewhere in the house if I want to upgrade or as others have said sell on.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-13-2017, 06:23 AM

Mine's a living room too, but about twice the size of yours. Keep in mind that if the room is open walls the actual sound area is larger than the physical room. Good luck with your setup. I hope it works well for you.
post #15 of 15 Old Today, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm in the need of some advice please?

I'm in the process of building a system for my house and have just purchased an A2060 after a fair bit of research.

I have also purchased a Rel T7/I subwoofer for the system.

I'm just in the process of on bench testing the components I have as I have yet to put sound proofing and plasterboard in place and this is where I have come up with some confusion.

When I have come to connect the subwoofer I cant seem to get it to work.

Many Thanks

Ian
Ian,

Did you get this sorted with the RX-A2060 and your REL?
I can help if the need be.

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers