32Likes

post #1 of 51 Old 04-19-2017, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 266
LPF of LFE .....yes!!!!! :)

Like the title says ...LPF of LFE (for the .1 channel that is) and I'm loving it!!

I forget what thread I was reading a week or so ago in the bass section, but I came across a brief discussion of setting the LPF on the LFE channel at different Hz instead of the normal default of 120Hz.

IIRC, @Marc Alexander or @mthomas47 was saying they liked a 100hz setting, splitting the difference between 80 and 120hz.

So it got me thinking, why in the heck haven't I ever tried this!? I think I've mentioned on here before that I'm an avid demo'er. Meaning I use my system a lot for demoing various movie clips. I do this almost daily if I can fit it in. I've got lots of lossless MKV's Blu Rays on an external USB 5 TB drive making it very fast and easy to skip around to whatever part of a movie that I want.

I watch a lot of full movies as well (mainly at night) but since this demoing is pretty much how I get my bass fix on a regular basis, I'm always looking for ways to maximize the experience, at least for TR and Slam (while still feeling real & natural) for these brief 30-40 minute sessions at pretty sane master volume levels (usually around -6 to -15mv depending on the movie clip and my mood) to hopefully not kill my ears over time.

Probably like most of you HT bass lovers around here, I love and crave that tactile, visceral, hard hitting bass that you can seriously feel. In the past when I wanted more of it, I used to find myself overly bumping my sub trims to the point of it becoming to boomy and ear assaulting, listening louder than was comfortable, or both just to get more slam. I've had to find ways to try to get the best of both worlds. So over the last couple of years I've tried just about everything I can think of to maximize the bass in my system for this, involving FF subs + multiple NF subs right behind me + Crowsons and Buttkicker LFE's. I've tried numerous tweaks like different curves with PEQ for the FF and NF each on there own and combined as a whole through DSP with a miniDSP, how much each contribute in different areas, different crossover settings and even the phase trick to purposely run out of phase a little bit at certain frequencies to increase TR and Slam while minimizing SPL, Optimum Time alignment between TT/MA's and subs with the help of VibSensor, etc.

So I can't believe I've never tried messing with the LPF in the LFE channel until now! I think it's safe to say I most definitely like the setting lower than the default at 120hz. I've tried everything in between 80-120hz and have pretty much settled on 90hz, also where I have all my crossovers set. To my ears it's a fair amount more cleaner sounding (some movies more than others). Other than when I used to sometimes bump my sub trims way to much trying to get more slam, I've never really thought my system ever sounded bloated/muddy/mushy or whatever you want to call it, even with still running my subs pretty hot, But oh man ...I think the bass definitely feels and sounds cleaner, tighter and punchier now, while at the same time being able to run my sub trims about 1db higher, which = more TR and Slam while sounding cleaner 1db might not sound like a lot, but it does help maximize TR and Slam while keeping that equilibrium just right and not sounding to bass heavy compared to the rest of the frequencies. Especially when your running the subs pretty hot. Depending on the clip, I'll usually run them anywhere from 10-20db+ over the speakers (no DEQ). I find that some movies just need a bit different sub trim levels to totally maximize the experience. Since my external MKV file system is not to fancy, I just make a note of the sub trim levels used for that particular movie in the file name. That way when I revisit all my favs, it's perfectly set to my liking or if I make any bass tweaks, it's usually pretty easy to hear and feel what I've done and the way it effects various clips that I'm real familiar with.

So anyway, you may or may not care about all this crap, but I'm so excited I had to tell somebody about it, might as well be to my AVS forum friends right!? haha If I tell my wife about it she usually just rolls her eyes. Occasionally though she'll humor me and listen for a little while LOL

Where do most of you guys set your LPF of LFE at? Do you ever find that 80hz is a tad to lean sounding or 120hz can be a bit to much? I've read in a few threads (now that I'm more aware of this) that sometimes much over 80hz in the LFE channel can tend to be a bit mushy sounding. I think I've seen where Mark Seaton and a few others have mentioned this.

I intended for this to be a quick short post but got a bit carried away as usual
lefthandluke, mthomas47 and Brazle like this.

Last edited by SBuger; 04-20-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 04-19-2017, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 953
^^ Thanks for sharing. It has been mentioned to me many times to set the LPF < 120hz but somehow I have never tried. I will now reading your post. I always like to improve my experience especially for FREE
SBuger likes this.
post #3 of 51 Old 04-19-2017, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I don't get it! I don't see anywhere to adjust the crossover other than setting them at 80hz. I thought the sub output automatically picked it up from there?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yamaha RX-A 1060
Emotiva BASX A3
Polk Audio RTi A9
Polk Audio CSi A6
PSA V1801
LG 55B6 OLED

post #4 of 51 Old 04-19-2017, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja76 View Post
I don't get it! I don't see anywhere to adjust the crossover other than setting them at 80hz. I thought the sub output automatically picked it up from there?

Its not really a crossover, it's just in the .1 (LFE subwoofer) channel of your 5.1, 7.1 or whatever configuration you have in your system. It's the bass that is mixed for the .1 channel only, not the bass that is redirected to your subs at your crossovers settings from your speakers. There should be a setting in your AVR that will allow you to change the settings labeled LPF for LFE (Low Pass Filter for Low Frequency Effects). Most AVR's allow for 10hz changes: ex 80hz, 90hz ,100hz, 110hz, 120hz, Bypass, etc. I think most default it to 120hz but can be changed. Where ever you set it at, bass above this point will start to roll off.
post #5 of 51 Old 04-19-2017, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Ohh I see. I've just never seen anything other than the settings for small or large. In small I set my A9's at 80hz. My AVR is the Yamaha 1060. Maybe I missed that setting somewhere.

Yamaha RX-A 1060
Emotiva BASX A3
Polk Audio RTi A9
Polk Audio CSi A6
PSA V1801
LG 55B6 OLED
post #6 of 51 Old 04-19-2017, 11:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked: 1699
I've found no higher than 90hz is the sweetspot in my setup especially with Atmos material with 80hz giving the best sound on the deeper bass passages (fly over to the landing platform in the opening scene in Star Wars now Episode 2 is a good test but be warned the asteroid field rocks at 100 to 110hz and will make you want to leave it there!)

Did this a few years back and made for a fun afternoon with profound playback contributions.
SBuger likes this.
post #7 of 51 Old 04-20-2017, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I've always used the 120hz setting because that is what the Audyssey folks say. The content in that .1 channel only goes up to 120hz. But, if we crossover our mains at 80hz or less to avoid localization, why would we want the LFE effects between 80 and 120hz to be localized? I guess the choice is either localize them or leave them out, which is what you do when you lower the LFE LPF.

I may try it. I am not a fan of being able to spot my subs.
SBuger likes this.
post #8 of 51 Old 04-20-2017, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Unless they have changed, Yamaha doesn't have a user adjustable LPF for LFE, for the .1 channel.
Squirrel! likes this.
post #9 of 51 Old 04-20-2017, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Like the title says ...LPF for LFE (for the .1 channel that is) and I'm loving it!!
So I can't believe I've never tried messing with the LPF in the LFE channel until now!
Just goes to show ya even seasoned Vets make Rookie mistakes.
SBuger likes this.
post #10 of 51 Old 04-20-2017, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
Just goes to show ya even seasoned Vets make Rookie mistakes.
LOL ...yeah for sure!
post #11 of 51 Old 04-20-2017, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdameron View Post
I guess the choice is either localize them or leave them out, which is what you do when you lower the LFE LPF.
You're not really leaving it out. The 'LPF of LFE' is not a brick-wall. You're rolling it off a little bit.
SBuger and audiofan1 like this.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #12 of 51 Old 04-20-2017, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
I've tried everything in between 80-120hz and have pretty much settled on 90hz, also where I have all my crossovers set. To my ears it's a fair amount more cleaner sounding (some movies more than others). Other than when I used to sometimes bump my sub trims way to much trying to get more slam, I've never really thought my system ever sounded bloated/muddy/mushy or whatever you want to call it, even with still running my subs pretty hot, But oh man ...I think the bass definitely feels and sounds cleaner, tighter and punchier now, while at the same time being able to run my sub trims about 1db higher, which = more TR and Slam while sounding cleaner 1db might not sound like a lot, but it does help maximize TR and Slam while keeping that equilibrium just right and not sounding to bass heavy compared to the rest of the frequencies. Especially when your running the subs pretty hot.
^^^huh...who knew? I sure didn't! I always wondered why some would purposely want to filter/rolloff content that's on the disc...hmmm cleaner? punchier?, I'm going to have to give this a shot!

Thanks for making this thread...

Curious...do others feel the same way? Is that why you lower the LPF?
SBuger likes this.
post #13 of 51 Old 04-20-2017, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1408 Post(s)
Liked: 933
For awhile there I was running mine crossed at 90hz using line in. I went back to using the LFE channel a few months ago and will never go back. It was like my subs came back to life. I was missing out on so much mid-bass and I had no idea until I switched back.
SBuger likes this.

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
post #14 of 51 Old 04-20-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
Curious...do others feel the same way? Is that why you lower the LPF?
Look for Mark Seaton's posts regarding his views of the setting.
SBuger likes this.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #15 of 51 Old 04-20-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
For awhile there I was running mine crossed at 90hz using line in. I went back to using the LFE channel a few months ago and will never go back. It was like my subs came back to life. I was missing out on so much mid-bass and I had no idea until I switched back.
?????

Care to elaborate? What do you mean by "...........crossed at 90hz using line in"? What WERE you doing with the LFE channel? Did you configure your AVR/processor as having NO SUB?

?????

post #16 of 51 Old 04-20-2017, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ Geez calm down dude did you just slam a red bull? I'm not sure I even want to respond lol....

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
post #17 of 51 Old 04-20-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
^^^ Geez calm down dude did you just slam a red bull? I'm not sure I even want to respond lol....
Suit yourself. Just trying to understand the relevance.

post #18 of 51 Old 04-20-2017, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post
Suit yourself. Just trying to understand the relevance.
Using line-in on Rythmik subs bypasses making all of your adjustments via AVR. You adjust your cross-overs, slopes etc manually on the amplifier itself.

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
post #19 of 51 Old 04-20-2017, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm no expert, so you can read up more about it here.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV15HP_specs.html

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
post #20 of 51 Old 04-20-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Using line-in on Rythmik subs bypasses making all of your adjustments via AVR. You adjust your cross-overs, slopes etc manually on the amplifier itself.
If you use the AVR's sub out, your AVR's bass management settings are still relevant. The only way to connect a sub otherwise is to configure your AVR as having NO SUB and use its R/L front channel pre-outs to connect to the sub's R/L inputs. Configured this way, the the LFE channel is still there as it is routed into the front channels.
Squirrel! likes this.

post #21 of 51 Old 04-20-2017, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2858 Post(s)
Liked: 3801
Quote:
Like the title says ...LPF for LFE (for the .1 channel that is) and I'm loving it!!

I forget what thread I was reading a week or so ago in the bass section, but I came across a brief discussion of setting the LPF on the LFE channel at different Hz instead of the normal default of 120Hz.

IIRC, @Marc Alexander or @mthomas47 was saying they liked a 100hz setting, splitting the difference between 80 and 120hz.
You have a good memory! I think I mentioned this on the Nearfield MBM thread recently. It was fun reading about your experience, and it's been a while since I settled on my current compromise setting of 100Hz, so it may be time for me to reinvestigate the setting. My previous impressions have been that 80Hz is clearer sounding, but 120Hz has more oomph, so 100Hz was a compromise. But, I may be inspired to try 80Hz again.

The idea for this actually came from some discussions on the Audyssey thread several years ago, which ended up in the Audyssey FAQ, linked below. Roger Dressler (formerly of Dolby) and Mark Seaton pointed out some good reasons to use a lower LPF of LFE.

Regards,
Mike
Marc Alexander and SBuger like this.
post #22 of 51 Old 04-20-2017, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you use the AVR's sub out, your AVR's bass management settings are still relevant. The only way to connect a sub otherwise is to configure your AVR as having NO SUB and use its R/L front channel pre-outs to connect to the sub's R/L inputs. Configured this way, the the LFE channel is still there as it is routed into the front channels.
Here peep this!

Frequency Response:

12-200 Hz (-2 dB @ 17 Hz, -6db@12hz) with LFE input
12-90 Hz (-2dB @ 17 Hz,-6db@12hz) with Line In input

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
post #23 of 51 Old 04-20-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Here peep this!

Frequency Response:

12-200 Hz (-2 dB @ 17 Hz, -6db@12hz) with LFE input
12-90 Hz (-2dB @ 17 Hz,-6db@12hz) with Line In input
OK. And?

Are you trying to say you used your AVR's sub out to connect to the sub's 'Line In' input? That means you had your LFE channel as well as any bass-managed bass from any channels set to SMALL low-passed at 90Hz by the sub in addition to any low-pass that your AVR was applying. Why? What is the slope of the sub's 90Hz low-pass? What crossovers were you applying with the AVR?

And still trying to see the relevance to the 'LPF of LFE'. Low passing all the sub's output at the sub at 90Hz is not the same thing as low-passing the LFE channel itself at 90Hz in the AVR.

post #24 of 51 Old 04-20-2017, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK. And?

Are you trying to say you used your AVR's sub out to connect to the sub's 'Line In' input? That means you had your LFE channel as well as any bass-managed bass from any channels set to SMALL low-passed at 90Hz by the sub in addition to any low-pass that your AVR was applying. Why? What is the slope of the sub's 90Hz low-pass? What crossovers were you applying with the AVR?

And still trying to see the relevance to the 'LPF of LFE'. Low passing all the sub's output at the sub at 90Hz is not the same thing as low-passing the LFE channel itself at 90Hz in the AVR.
Are you trolling? Over 16K posts and only 177 likes....

Let's not muddy up this thread anymore. PM me if you want, but I probably wont respond.

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
post #25 of 51 Old 04-20-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Are you trolling?
nope

Quote:
Over 16K posts and only 177 likes....
Who's trolling?

Quote:
Let's not muddy up this thread anymore.
good idea

post #26 of 51 Old 04-20-2017, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 953
JT, what you missed the most with Rythmik line in connection (sub rolls off at 90hz) is the redirect bass from all of your speakers which was why it didn't sound as full. With your Rythmik LFE connection, you still can try to change the LPF to less than the default 120hz in your AVR (say 90hz), your sub(s) will still play all the redirect bass from speakers over 90hz if your speakers are crossovered at or above 90hz. I believe Mark Seaton mentioned that there is barely anything over 80 or 90hz in the .1 lfe channel.
post #27 of 51 Old 04-20-2017, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4893 Post(s)
Liked: 3526
I briefly messed with the LPF for LFE a few years back and ended up leaving it at default...I am definitely going to revisit this setting after your positive comments. Thanks!
SBuger likes this.
post #28 of 51 Old 04-20-2017, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
You have a good memory! I think I mentioned this on the Nearfield MBM thread recently. It was fun reading about your experience, and it's been a while since I settled on my current compromise setting of 100Hz, so it may be time for me to reinvestigate the setting. My previous impressions have been that 80Hz is clearer sounding, but 120Hz has more oomph, so 100Hz was a compromise. But, I may be inspired to try 80Hz again.

The idea for this actually came from some discussions on the Audyssey thread several years ago, which ended up in the Audyssey FAQ, linked below. Roger Dressler (formerly of Dolby) and Mark Seaton pointed out some good reasons to use a lower LPF of LFE.

Regards,
Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I briefly messed with the LPF for LFE a few years back and ended up leaving it at default...I am definitely going to revisit this setting after your positive comments. Thanks!
I have found with messing with it for about a week on lots of different movie demo clips that the majority of the time (like maybe 95%), I prefer it at 90hz, sometimes even 100hz is not to bad, and maybe 80hz just a tad to lean sometimes. So I chose 90hz.

Like @audiofan1 was saying in his post, I have found that there are a few scenes that do sound and feel just a little better (more oomph maybe) with the LPF of LFE set to 110hz or 120hz and will kind of make you want to leave it there at the time. But then, for me, the majority of other great bass scenes, lower at 90hz just sounds better in my system: a little cleaner, leaner and punchier, revealing the multiple layers of bass and all the little nuances a little better that some of these amazing bass scenes have. But to compensate for it being a little bit leaner sounding going from 120hz to 90hz, I found that if I raise my sub trims by about 1db it pretty much made up for that while still sounding and feeling cleaner with more dynamics and punch if that makes sense. I could probably do the same for setting it to 80hz and raise trims a tad bit more and be real happy with it as well. But for what I've experienced so far, 90hz seems to be the sweet spot for me. So you guys that are gonna try this, be sure to try it at different Hz with several different clips.

If you go HERE Read through all of c)5. What is the LPF of LFE what should it be set to? Its a good read with some comments from Mark Seaton and a few others about it.

Last edited by SBuger; 04-20-2017 at 05:09 PM.
post #29 of 51 Old 04-20-2017, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Hey @SBuger and others, just curious what receivers or pre-processors you're using. I've got a 10yr old Pioneer Elite and it seems pretty limited as far as bass management and crossover settings etc. Not shopping for anything new yet, just wondering which receivers feature these different settings and options you're discussing.

HT setup: Vizio 50" 4K | Xbox & PS3 | Pioneer Elite VSX-94TX | Bose 701 towers (V1) | JBL S Center | Def Tech Reference SuperCube & Def Tech PF15TL+
post #30 of 51 Old 04-20-2017, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 511
I have seen some receivers allow you to change LFE settings but on my Rotel 1068 prepro you can't even change the .1 LFE setting and its by default 120hz since all LFE is 120hz and below. The only bass crossover frequecy I can change is the bass crossover from the other speakers only. I currently have it set as 80hz where the subs get 80hz and below normally except the LFE signal gets 120hz and below all to the subs.

Theater: Sony 45es, 120 inch 16:9 screen, Panny BDT500, Rotel RMB-1075, Rotel RSP-1068, Klipsch RP-280F, RP-450C, RP-160M, SVS PB13 x 2, Monster Power Conditioner, GIK acoustic panels

TV Room: Panasonic 60" plasma, Integra DTR-30.3, Axiom Audio M60, VP150, QS8, EP500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page