AVS Forum banner

Dual Outlaw M8s vs. a single $500 sub

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  i8piglet 
#1 ·
So long story short, I have been out of the HT game for a long time now. It just wouldn't fit in our last place, so we made due with a 3.0 setup. Now we have a family room and I want my HT back.

My old 12" Infinity sub died on me, I saw a great deal on an Outlaw M8 so I picked it up. Don't get me wrong, the Infinity wasn't a particularly good sub, and the Outlaw is very good for what it is, but it does't shake the walls the way the Infinity did.

I could try and sell the M8, kick in a few bucks and get something like an SVS SB12-NSD or maybe even a sb-1000.

Or I could spend that money on a second M8. I see reviews of the M8 touting it as a capable budget HT sub, and I read threads about how great dual sub setups are, so what about a dual M8 setup? My biggest concern is that he M8 may not do well in this room because it has particularly thick carpet.

I read through a ton of M8 threads, but this doesn't seem to have been discussed. Should that lead me to conclude its not the best of ideas?

The room is roughly average size, 15x20 maybe, but the room is divided into a sitting area and play area for the kids, so I don't need to fill the whole thing with sound, but I understand that dead space will hurt performance. We use it for 65% HT, 35% music.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I could try and sell the M8, kick in a few bucks and get something like an SVS SB12-NSD or maybe even a sb-1000.
No reason to get an SB-1000 over an NSD. The NSD is an older version of a slightly better sub. It's cheaper because it's being clearanced, not because it's worse. You're paying less for more, always a good idea.:)
The NSD should go a little lower than the Outlaw. I suspect that it is a slightly better sub than the Outlaw, but I'm just guessing. Probably not worth the trouble to replace the outlaw with the SVS, unless you get 2 or go for the PB-1000, as suggested. The NSD would probably be a little cleaner than the PB-1000, but wouldn't play as loudly.
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/review-svs-pb-1000-subwoofer#AtLR4TSP8773MpMW.97

#6 ·
Interesting. No one seems to think that a second Outlaw is the better option, but there are a few suggestions about dual SVS subs as well as a few suggestions that the lower end SVS aren't much better than the Outlaw. Hm...what to do, what to do... I guess I'll keep thinking.

Thank you for all of your thoughts.

#7 ·
The problem with the M8 is that it does not extend much lower then 30hz. Adding a second will not gain you any more extension. 500.00 is what it takes to get a subwoofer with 20hz extension. 800.00 is what it takes to get a sub with 16hz extension and significant output above 20hz. 1000.00 gets you solid output down to 16hz...Etc. Extension with low distortion and a flat response is what costs the most to produce. Your cheap 2-300.00 dollar subs can produce pretty good amounts of bass above 40hz, but they have more harmonics and a humped response which makes the bass sound louder yet.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks again man. I appreciate the insight, even if its going over my head. I found a PB-1000 in the classified section, so it looks like I'm going that route. I'll be listing the M8 for sale as soon as I pick up the SVS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.