Cheap transducer control option - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-20-2017, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cheap transducer control option

I've been looking at adding bass transducers to my home theater, but don't really want to buy a dedicated amp. I've read that some people have had decent luck with repurposing old receivers to power the transducers. Most of these people end up buying one of the 50hz low pass FMODs to limit the higher frequencies.

I just came across a possible improvement over using the FMOD and wanted to share.

https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-Univ.../dp/B01IR13NGG

It's a line level bass control module, meant for remote control of car audio subs. As far as I can tell it would have 4 benefits over the FMOD that other people are using.

1. The low pass filter is variable.
2. The low pass filter goes down to 40hz. (Lower than the 50hz FMOD)
3. It's cheaper. ($13.99 shipped vs. $26+ for a pair of FMODs)
4. Small and easy to mount remotely. (Would let you hide the transducer amp and still have easy control.)

Let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-21-2017, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by andringa View Post
I've been looking at adding bass transducers to my home theater, but don't really want to buy a dedicated amp. I've read that some people have had decent luck with repurposing old receivers to power the transducers. Most of these people end up buying one of the 50hz low pass FMODs to limit the higher frequencies.

I just came across a possible improvement over using the FMOD and wanted to share.

https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-Univ.../dp/B01IR13NGG

It's a line level bass control module, meant for remote control of car audio subs. As far as I can tell it would have 4 benefits over the FMOD that other people are using.

1. The low pass filter is variable.
2. The low pass filter goes down to 40hz. (Lower than the 50hz FMOD)
3. It's cheaper. ($13.99 shipped vs. $26+ for a pair of FMODs)
4. Small and easy to mount remotely. (Would let you hide the transducer amp and still have easy control.)

Let me know what you think.
Seems like a solid alternative. Good find.

But, if you're using an old receiver couldn't you use the crossover setting in the same fashion? Then you wouldn't need to purchase this?
post #3 of 5 Old 04-21-2017, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
Seems like a solid alternative. Good find.

But, if you're using an old receiver couldn't you use the crossover setting in the same fashion? Then you wouldn't need to purchase this?
Old receivers might not have any crossover settings, plus if they do have crossovers it would be an adjustable high pass filter for the main channels. And for transducers you want a low pass filter.

post #4 of 5 Old 04-21-2017, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Nice find!
You might be able to loop back one channel's output into the other channel's input, and make it effectively a one channel device but with a filter that's twice as steep (and twice the range of volume control).
If nothing else, $14 is reasonable for an assembled "kit" if the guts can be easily accessed and modified.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-21-2017, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fill35U View Post
Nice find!
You might be able to loop back one channel's output into the other channel's input, and make it effectively a one channel device but with a filter that's twice as steep (and twice the range of volume control).
If nothing else, $14 is reasonable for an assembled "kit" if the guts can be easily accessed and modified.
Thanks for the comment, you bring up a good point. Looping 1 channel through both the Left and Right channels sequentially should make a 2nd order Low Pass Filter with a slightly lower -3db point and the gain knob should have a 0db to -24db instead of the normal 0db to -12db.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page