TWO Yamaha YST-SW012 or ONE Emotive BASX S8? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-20-2017, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 50
TWO Yamaha YST-SW012 or ONE Emotive BASX S8?

Would you prefer TWO Yamaha YST-SW012 or ONE Emotive BASX S8 sub(s) for 2.1 desktop duty - music only?

Due to various life circumstancesI will soon be working from home. At first I will be using a 2.1 desktop system. Eventually, I hope to build the ~11' by 15' office/music room. The sub(s) would hopefully be used there as well.

My objective is to fill out the bottom 2 or 3 octaves below the satellite speakers. My preference is musicality and accuracy. If circumstances were different, I'd probably go for a sealed Rythmik or a hybrid HSU. Until a few other factors are considered, even the RSL Speedwoofer is out of consideration. Obviously, I can't be looking for tight, 20 hz performance for less than $300.

Thanks

Leon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

The lack of a variable crossover on the YST-SW012 is beginning to concern me. It might make integration more difficult if I go with a 2 channel stereo or integrated amp. One the other hand, it might be nice to have a sub on each side of the desk.
post #3 of 11 Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 1866
If I understand correctly your room is fairly small, you'll be sitting within close proximity and it's a music-only system. Given your situation I don't see that dual subwoofers would provide any benefit, so it's better to consider one nice sub instead.

There's almost nothing written on the BAS-X line of subwoofers yet, so I don't know how they fare. Might be worth considering however. Another potential option is the Martin Logan Dynamo 300. At $200 it's a good deal.

Not sure if either the Emotiva or ML will satisfy your 2-3 octave range below your speakers as you didn't list what they are or where you cross them over. 3 octaves can be a pretty demanding load though, depending upon your starting point. For example, if you cross the speakers at 120Hz 3 full octaves down is 15Hz. You'll need a whole lot more than an 8" driver to accomplish that.

There is a thread dedicated to $300 and below subwoofers. Check out this link for more info. The first post has a lot of choices in your price range.

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite

post #4 of 11 Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
If I understand correctly your room is fairly small, you'll be sitting within close proximity and it's a music-only system. Given your situation I don't see that dual subwoofers would provide any benefit, so it's better to consider one nice sub instead.

Not sure if either the Emotiva or ML will satisfy your 2-3 octave range below your speakers as you didn't list what they are or where you cross them over. 3 octaves can be a pretty demanding load though, depending upon your starting point. For example, if you cross the speakers at 120Hz 3 full octaves down is 15Hz. You'll need a whole lot more than an 8" driver to accomplish that.
Ooops! I usually start with the assumption that I will have a sub that reaches down to the 20's, so I started at the bottom and worked up - my bad

For the immediate future (or possibly forever ) the desk will be in an open 2,000 sqft basement. If they still work, I hope to use A/D/S model 200s on the desktop. If not, I will probably use Take Classics or NanoSats. If circumstances allowed..., I would consider purchasing bookshelves such as the XTZ 95.24 - or skip the sub and go for the 95.44.

I'm gradually working my way through the budget list. However, recently the <$100 Yammies have gotten some favorable comments for music and there has been a lot of positive speculation about the potential of the BasX S8. Since you brought it up, I will look at the Dynamo 300 again - I wish I had bought the original Dynamo when they were being closed out.

Thanks!
post #5 of 11 Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm confused here; you mentioned wanting a 2.1 "desktop system" but then you threw in the XTZ 95.44, which is a tower speaker. How big is this desk of yours?

It might be better to decide on a form factor before researching products. If you want 2 bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer your journey will be decidedly different then if you want towers. It's not that I'm saying the XTZ 95.44 is bad - quite the contrary, as I reviewed the 95 Series a few years back and really liked what I heard - it's just a set of towers is not really made for the person sitting very close. That's more the province of bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer. If you'll be sitting close would something like the Wave Crest HVL-1 work for speakers? Those are nice and they don't cost much.

Last edited by JimWilson; Yesterday at 05:29 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm confused here; you mentioned wanting a 2.1 "desktop system" but then you threw in the XTZ 95.44, which is a tower speaker. How big is this desk of yours?

It might be better to decide on a form factor before researching products. If you want 2 bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer your journey will be decidedly different then if you want a pair of towers. It's not that I'm saying the XTZ 95.44 is bad - quite the contrary, as I reviewed the 95 Series a few years back and really liked what I heard - it's just a set of towers is not really made for the person sitting very close, that's more the province of bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer. If you'll sitting be close, would something like the Wave Crest HVL-1 work for speakers? Those are nice, and they don't cost much.
It's a pretty big desk, but not that big.

The confusion may be that I will probably be working from home starting in a few weeks. I'm looking for a quick, but respectable, fix that will sound decent and doesn't require a large investment in time and money (i.e. desktop system).

When/if I get an office-music room completed I will probably have the mains on one end of the room and the desk on one of the sides. At that point I would have room for towers - For WAF reasons I went through a period of satellites - hence the access to tiny passive speakers.

With a room to myself I hope to go back to larger size speakers.

The A/D/S 200s work, but need a little help in the bass department. So, I'm now thinking for <$100 the Yamaha Sub might work for near field duty if set next to the desk. It would by part of a series of bandaids.

I figured a reference to XTZ speakers would get your attention. I have been intrigued by them since I read your review a couple years ago.
post #7 of 11 Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Definitely look at the Wave Crest speakers then. You can thank me later.

I can't figure XTZ out. In Europe they're quite popular, but here not so much. I can't tell you how much time I've spent talking with the company principles - including their President in Sweden - but for some reason they never got the marketing/distribution set up on this side of the pond. I'm about the only person who even knows that XTZ exists, and that's a shame because they make some very nice products. Sigh...

Would you be able to extend the budget to consider RSL? I was the first person to publish a review on the CG4 Series when they came out about 5 years ago, so I know those speakers are very nice. The new CG3 and SpeedWoofer 10S, which are the 'younger brother' to the CG4 line, would almost certainly make a very nice 2.1 system.

post #8 of 11 Old Today, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Definitely look at the Wave Crest speakers then. You can thank me later.

I can't figure XTZ out. In Europe they're quite popular, but here not so much. I can't tell you how much time I've spent talking with the company principles - including their President in Sweden - but for some reason they never got the marketing/distribution set up on this side of the pond. I'm about the only person who even knows that XTZ exists, and that's a shame because they make some very nice products. Sigh...

Would you be able to extend the budget to consider RSL? I was the first person to publish a review on the CG4 Series when they came out about 5 years ago, so I know those speakers are very nice. The new CG3 and SpeedWoofer 10S, which are the 'younger brother' to the CG4 line, would almost certainly make a very nice 2.1 system.
Thanks, if I need to move to larger speakers I'll definitely check out the Wave Crests.

I considered adding a thread to the Speakers forum asking whether anyone had recent experience with XTZ Sound. If possible, the US section of the site appears even more spartan than it was a couple years ago . It would be nice to confirm that XTZ can provide provide good or acceptable service to US clients.

The Speedwoofer 10S has been on my radar for $400 subwoofers. However, it is double my current maximum for this quick project. However, I haven't had much interest in satellite speakers that cannot pull their own weight down to 80 hz. On a whim I tried some SVS Prime Satellites thinking that they would go back. They are still in the living room crossed over at 80 hz.

If I was to break my budget, my goal would be to jump to the Rythmik L12 for < $600. I am currently using an early (2002 or 2003) DIY 12" sealed box Rythmik. It has been ideal for my tastes.

Last edited by Leon O; Today at 09:53 AM.
post #9 of 11 Old Today, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon O View Post
The lack of a variable crossover on the YST-SW012 is beginning to concern me. It might make integration more difficult if I go with a 2 channel stereo or integrated amp. One the other hand, it might be nice to have a sub on each side of the desk.
I have two of the Yamaha subs and they work great but I don't think they would work for you as they lack speaker level inputs and internal crossover, (unless you have an avr or outboard sub crossover as I do).

They also have no output to speak of below 28hz...in fact no $300 sub, (unless you go DIY), does.

The BasX S8 (or S10) with more powerful amp+crossover+speaker level inputs and promise of far flatter frequency response down to 28hz would be perfect for music IMHO.

Geoff A. J., California
post #10 of 11 Old Today, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I have two of the Yamaha subs and they work great but I don't think they would work for you as they lack speaker level inputs and internal crossover, (unless you have an avr or outboard sub crossover as I do).

They also have no output to speak of below 28hz...in fact no $300 sub, (unless you go DIY), does.

The BasX S8 (or S10) with more powerful amp+crossover+speaker level inputs and promise of far flatter frequency response down to 28hz would be perfect for music IMHO.
I just hooked up my HK AVR and it works Hopefully it it will plug along a while longer. If so it should cover x-over duties.

My latest thought is that the Yamaha sub would be a "disposable" component and would not be a part of a more permanent solution.

In a large open area, do you think one YST-SW012 would provide enough output in the 30 hz range if placed only a few feet from a desk that is solid down to the floor?
post #11 of 11 Old Today, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

An 8" driver hooked up to a 100 watt amp is not likely to have much 30Hz output, but close proximity will help get the most out of what it can do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page