AVS Forum banner

Cylinder vs Box dual subwoofer placement

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  mthomas47 
#1 ·
Hey all. I've got dual cylinders: SVS PC13 ultra and PC12 NSD.

Now, virtually all multiple subwoofer placements are based on box subs. Some are simply not possible due to cylinder heights - especially the ultra which is 4 feet tall.

A good number of us cylinder lovers use projector screens, which immediately limits front soundstage placement. Vice versa, this is a popular option for box subs.

I ask because I'm having a hard time getting both to communicate well.

I guess my question is more for the cylinder users in what unorthodox (it. Not common ) placements methods work with cylinders?

Or does it even matter since bass is omni directional box or cylinder.

#2 ·
You could try laying them on their side for more flexibility. From what I've read, it shouldn't effect performance.

#3 ·
Just like any sub, the room is going to dictate where the subs perform best. With your situation, placing the weaker sub (PC12-NSD) in the best spot closest to the MLP and the stronger sub (PC13-Ultra) in the best spot in the room that works best with the location of the lesser sub, should be a good route to go. You can lay cylinder subs on their sides, as I've seen a few people on this forum have done that without issue. Of course that eats up a lot of floor space in many instances, but laying one behind a couch would also be good for tactile response.

Reactions: mthomas47
#5 ·
Does lying on its side cause any driver issues since it's probably not as well braced for side excursion as the box versions?

#6 ·
No issues at all have been reported, and SVS often recommends laying the cylinders on their sides when circumstances dictate. :)

Regards,
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.