AVS Forum banner

Poor mans fv15hp?

7K views 52 replies 15 participants last post by  brannigan 
#1 ·
I was considering biting the bullet and getting my dream sub from 5 years ago but I thought there must be lots of new units that have come out since I last considered purchasing. Is there anything cheaper now that will do well with my sierra towers in a 15x15 room? I've found I prefer most music with the sub off but I prefer it to be able to blend well with music just in case I change my mind. My towers can do 40hz pretty well so what I'm mostly aiming for is visceral power under 60hz for movies with musicality as a nice bonus. I really don't want to spend a ton. Is there something under $700 that will do the trick these days? I'd like to try something vented but suggestions welcome for sealed. As for spl levels, I tried an spl level meter c weighted in my room and turned up the music until it was what I considered obnoxious. The meter said 85db. If I can get something that can sustain 90db at 15hz for the length of a movie that would be dreamy. Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
#5 ·
With your speakers, I would consider the L22 as well. I'm running Sierra Towers with RAAL with a pair of F12SEs and they blend perfectly.

#6 ·
In terms of overall output, the Rythmik FVX15 is the obvious choice as the FV15HP's little brother, but it's still well over your budget.

Instead of the LVX12, I'd take a look at the HSU VTF-3 MK5. I have a pair of them and absolutely love them. Total price shipped is around $850, and they are worth every penny. I know it's $150 more than the LVX12, but it will outperform it easily.

#10 ·
That HSU looks really nice. But will it sound 60% better than the $549 rythmik LV12R? My room is only 15x15 but I am tempted. Part of me is thinking I should go with the cheaper sub and figure out how to shoehorn a second one into my setup some day when I have the money.

#7 ·
do you know what spl you want? in a bedroom I suspect most 12 inchers should be fine by rythmik and also others

#9 ·
I used an spl meter and slowly cranked the volume on my speakers. When the volume got to the point that I din't want any more I looked at the meter. I said 85dba. If a sub can sustain 90db through a movie at somewhere between 15-20 hz that should be good enough. My room is 15x15. I'll be setting the low pass at 50 or 60hz.

#17 ·
Hmm. I noticed the LVX12 is backordered in both finishes. Has it been replaced by the LV12R? This unit got one glowing review that I could find and is cheaper at $549.
Was that one review mine per chance? You should also consider what owners are saying as there input can be invaluable. You'll probably find most people like the LV12R as much as I did.

I wish I could afford it. Looks like the LV12R might have port noise issues and the amp is weaker than the LVX12.
There are no port noise issues to speak of. I beat the heck out of that sub and didn't hear an untoward sound unless I was right next to it with my ear by the port. While sitting in the MLP I couldn't hear a thing. The LVX12 is more capable though, so if you can wait for the new units to arrive that would be the better option.

#11 ·
my 1x15hp rythmik sub can do over 105 db very low in a 30x50x15 room....15hz and up is over 100db....just for what its worth

#12 ·
I wish I could afford it. Looks like the LV12R might have port noise issues and the amp is weaker than the LVX12. Might have to wait for rythmik to make more or go with the HSU. Does anyone know what kind of output the LVX12 has around 20hz? I really prefer not to go over $700 unless the difference is significant.

#13 ·
my old velodyne hgs 12 sealed can do 110 db max in my space...it can be bought used for 500

#16 ·
If the option for going duals in the future is a possibility, I'd go with the LVX12.

If you have to stick with one sub, then I'd absolutely go for the HSU. One HSU will have almost the same overall output as TWO LVX12's. But obviously having dual subs offers many other benefits, mainly having a smoother bass response throughout the room. I am definitely a huge fan of dual subwoofers, it really does make a big difference in overall sound quality(when set-up properly of course).

#20 ·
thanks for the extra input. i don't want to spend more than i need to but i'd hate to end up wishing i had spent a bit more and been totally satisfied. what are the odds the lv12r won't be enough for my 15x15 living room? it's hard to make up my mind since there's always a next step up for a few more bucks but since i'm here why not get the next better one up etc until i'm over a grand again. i don't want to be underwhelmed and i don't want to spend more than i need to. what's the sweet spot?

#21 ·
Get the LVX12 then. I do have one in my bedroom and it sounds fantastic. I'm pretty sure the LV12R will do well in your room, but the LVX12 will do better.

#22 ·
hell no, for that size room you need at least 8 12inch subs or more....just kidding...1x 15fvhp is plenty for most. I have 1x 15hp and it fills my huge room nicely for movies and music...just say wht you want and there are calculaters that can give u answers...confused...

#23 ·
Alright sounds good. This room is where the sub will be for the foreseeable future. If I get to a point I can buy a house with more room I'll be getting a better sub anyhow. If the lvx12 will leave me wanting for nothing in this exact space I'll be happy. I'm not worried about the future and where I'll be so I only need what's "just right" and no more. I think an actual fv15 would be massive overkill. the lvx12 is still within the realm of sanity price wise. i'll wait for it to come back into stock if the lv12r is anything less than optimal.

#24 ·
We still have some LVX12s in stock and ready to ship. I need to ask Brian to take that backorder note out of the LVX12 link, though.

#25 ·
Hi all
How would a Rythmik FVX15 sound in a 18x18 bedroom, would this be solid choice or overkill?

#29 · (Edited)
NagysAudio said:
Any of the HSUs are significantly more musical than others being mentioned in this thread. ... But the best sounding subwoofer ever made is BK Monolith Plus.
Curious:
- In what way is the HSU VTF-15H MK2 "significantly more musical" than the Rythmik F12SE?
- Since it's unlikely you've auditioned every subwoofer ever made, how were you able to conclude that the BK Monolith Plus is "the best sounding subwoofer ever made"?

#30 ·
I'm having trouble finding output measurements on the lvx12. can someone point me in the right direction? all the other companies seem to show what their subs can do.

#46 · (Edited)
The sub came in and I got it hooked up. Running it at 50hz crossover in one port mode at about 11-11:30 on the volume dial. I think I prefer ported subs. the right music sounds very 3d and balanced. time to try some movies. thanks!

Reactions: Marc Alexander
#48 ·
I like to let my main speakers do their thing as much as possible to preserve maximum detail. I'm not going for maximum bass so much as just making my speakers full range, at least for music, for the moment. next time i watch a movie with lots of lfe i'll try it at 80hz and crank it a bit. the sierra towers have 2 nice woofers and do a great job within reason for their size. i tried to cut them off right before they start to struggle.

#49 ·
I have a full set of Sierra with RAAL speakers as well (Sierra Towers, Horizon Center and Sierra 2s) and my crossover is set at 80Hz for all five speakers. The system sounds amazing. I do 90% music and 10% movies.

#50 ·
idk it seems like drums are more directional with a low crossover. when i raise it to 80 they seem like they lose snap and come from everywhere. i just want each speaker to do what it's best at. it sounds fantastic but i will continue to experiment. according to specs the sierra tower can do 40hz pretty well and 50hz as well as any other frequency. it seems like the logical crossover point for maximum fidelity.

#52 ·
thank you for the suggestion. so far i'm very happy with the rythmik but i may try one of the seaton sound models some day when i upgrade. if possible my next setup will be the salk exotica 3 with dual 15" subs of some kind. i still need my car for the moment so i can't sell it yet. i'll just have to be happy with my humble setup. it still rocks my world. :)

#53 ·
After further experimentation I'm 80% sure crossing over at 50hz sounds best. i was watching return of the king today on bluray and there was some deep powerful stuff going on in the undead cave and the battle of minas tirith. very detailed yet crunchy and punchy. this is at a neutral setting on the sub with the dial aiming at the little white dot on the volume dial around 12:30. if i crank it up i can feel the bass like a massage but it's not quite as natural. it's also easier to blend than my old F15 sub. I'm not sure if bigger drivers are harder to dial in or if i was just doing it wrong but it seems like the smaller 12" driver with 1 port is easier to set to an appropriate level to match the main speakers. i might have to order another one soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.