AVS Forum banner

Velodyne HGS 10 connection question

5K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  Alan P 
#1 ·
Hi all,

My source is an OPPO BDP-95 which is 7.1 capable. My system is 2.1 and the OPPO FR and FL outputs are connected to a preamp that is connected to a two channel amp powering the front speakers. The OPPO has only one RCA output for SW. My Velodyne HGS 10 sub has two RCA inputs labeled left and right. What is the correct way to connect that one cable to the Velodyne?

Thanks,
henrylr

#2 ·
my hgs 12 gets connected with 1 rca cable to input...you can use a rca splitter and connect both inputs on sub

#3 ·

#7 ·
no i didnt

#9 ·
it doesnt matter

#10 ·
Does the OPPO have the ability to set a crossover for your speakers when using a subwoofer? If not, you would want to connect the sub the way it is described on the last page of the owners manual.

#11 ·
Thanks for the reply and link to the manual. However I have the manual from when I bought the HGS 10 in 2002. Problem is the manual doesn't have any info or description for connection with only one RCA cable and the two inputs are only labeled L and R.

I talked with an OPPO tech and was told the OPPO does have adjustable SW crossover capability. I was also told the OPPO combines all LFE from both right and left channels and that is what is sent to the OPPO SW RCA output.

So question remains is there a best way to connect the sub with only one cable. One reply I got said it doesn't matter which input the cables goes to. I'm surprised the manual only describes a two cable setup. I should probably call Velodyne.

Thanks,
henrylr

#12 ·
You are usually just fine using the L or R input when using a single subwoofer cable, but if you are worried about it just get a simple y-splitter (as mentioned above) and connect to both inputs.

Make sure you set the crossover in the OPPO to an appropriate setting for your particular speakers and set the "X-over" to "Out" on the sub.

#13 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have been using it with one cable connected to the left input and the xover set to out for about ten years.
I don't remember why I connected it like that and the manual was no help since it only shows and describes one setup using two cables. Just thought I would ask if my one cable connection was OK.

Thanks,
henrylr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.