JL sub question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-12-2017, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
JL sub question

I am setting up a 12 x 18 foot home theater and have dual JL d110's on order. Having second thoughts and wondering if a single 12 inch fathom would be better for a small room. 50/50 music and movies.
ryno1330 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 08-12-2017, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
xcjago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Harbor City, CA
Posts: 1,039
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The F112 is a big step up from the D110. It has deeper bass extension and more output than even 2 of the D110. The only advantage with dual D110 is you can get a smoother frequency response.

Last edited by xcjago; 08-12-2017 at 10:11 PM.
xcjago is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 08-13-2017, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcjago View Post
The F112 is a big step up from the D110. It has deeper bass extension and more output than even 2 of the D110. The only advantage with dual D110 is you can get a smoother frequency response.
Thanks. I'm guessing for tactile bass and thump I would get more from the f112 for movies...would that be accurate? Maybe the room correction software would help smooth it out too vs the d110s?
ryno1330 is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 Old 08-13-2017, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 2,447
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1330 View Post
Thanks. I'm guessing for tactile bass and thump I would get more from the f112 for movies...would that be accurate?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1330 View Post
Maybe the room correction software would help smooth it out too vs the d110s?
Only so much room correction can do - sure, it'll help, but it will not be able to do what two subs can. Doesn't mean one sub properly placed won't be good, but I rarely see anybody stating that one sub is better than two.....

JL makes nice sub-woofers, but they are pricey. Affording 2 x F112s might be challenging, but if you can do it - do it. There are other very high quality subs though that will allow you to stretch your budget farther, with excellent performance.

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Sony BDP S-470, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 08-13-2017, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dave-T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Arlington, Va.
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Jl Subs are nice. I would definitely get I JL F112v2 over two D110's. F112v2 is going to hit lower and also has DARO and ELF which the Dominion series does not. Buy one F112v2 now and if you need another which you probably will not save up and buy another at ac later date. I my self for a 10x21x12 room with 9' ceilings am going to buy one F112v2 at first and if I need a second will buy another or one F113v2 and be done. Just Make sure you get a F112v2 not a F112v1, there is a big difference.
Dave-T is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 08-13-2017, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1330 View Post
Thanks. I'm guessing for tactile bass and thump I would get more from the f112 for movies...would that be accurate?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1330 View Post
Maybe the room correction software would help smooth it out too vs the d110s?
Only so much room correction can do - sure, it'll help, but it will not be able to do what two subs can. Doesn't mean one sub properly placed won't be good, but I rarely see anybody stating that one sub is better than two.....

JL makes nice sub-woofers, but they are pricey. Affording 2 x F112s might be challenging, but if you can do it - do it. There are other very high quality subs though that will allow you to stretch your budget farther, with excellent performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
Jl Subs are nice. I would definitely get I JL F112v2 over two D110's. F112v2 is going to hit lower and also has DARO and ELF which the Dominion series does not. Buy one F112v2 now and if you need another which you probably will not save up and buy another at ac later date. I my self for a 10x21x12 room with 9' ceilings am going to buy one F112v2 at first and if I need a second will buy another or one F113v2 and be done. Just Make sure you get a F112v2 not a F112v1, there is a big difference.
Great thanks guys. I was also going to consider dual f110s but wonder if I would run into the same issue with less output for HT like the d110s (they do have a more and lower output than the d110s but prob not as much as the single fathom). Oh choices. Thanks again. I do realize I can get more sub for the money but like working with a local dealer and like jls fit and finish.
ryno1330 is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 08-13-2017, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dave-T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Arlington, Va.
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 227
FYI JL no longer sells the F110v2 anymore. If your dealer has then they are left over stock he/she has. I spoke with Randy at JL last month about specifics on a F112V2 vs F113Vs and he informed me that they had discontinued the F110V2. Who is your local dealer? is your local dealer giving you a good price or are you being quoted list price? What speakers are you running in your setup?

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited by Dave-T; 08-13-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Dave-T is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 08-13-2017, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
FYI JL no longer sells the F110v2 anymore. If your dealer has then they are left over stock he/she has. I spoke with Randy at JL last month about specifics on a F112V2 vs F113Vs and he informed me that they had discontinued the F110V2. Who is your local dealer? is your local dealer giving you a good price or are you being quoted list price? What speakers are you running in your setup?

Thanks,

Dave
Edit - after talking with JLdirectly i actually decided to go with dual e112s. I think it should be a good setup. Thanks for everyone's help.

Last edited by ryno1330; 08-14-2017 at 12:42 PM.
ryno1330 is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 08-14-2017, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
xcjago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Harbor City, CA
Posts: 1,039
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1330 View Post
Edit - after talking with JLdirectly i actually decided to go with dual e112s. I think it should be a good setup. Thanks for everyone's help.
That's a good way to go. The E112 is not far behind the F112 and you save a good amount of cash.
xcjago is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 08-14-2017, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 2,447
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1330 View Post
Edit - after talking with JLdirectly i actually decided to go with dual e112s. I think it should be a good setup. Thanks for everyone's help.
Good move! I think you'll be happy with those duals.

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Sony BDP S-470, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 08-15-2017, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dave-T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Arlington, Va.
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Nice choice
Dave-T is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off