Subwoofer rattles playing bassy songs? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 08-23-2017, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Subwoofer rattles playing bassy songs?

Hey guys. How are you all?

I have the same subwoofer as I've written about in my previous posts, it's still wonderful. Same PSU powering it, etc. Sometimes when playing bassy songs for example, EDM, Trap/Rave, the front of the subwoofer vibrates or rattles a little bit, not always, but sometimes.

The part I am talking about the outer part with the arrow pointing next to it. It's the round outer part that sounds like it rattles.

The other photos are too large to upload, so I've added them and a video of the sub playing in a zip. Click to go to my Google Drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-23-2017, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 198
you bass boost is real high
have you seen this setup guide
https://www.crutchfield.ca/S-10g5sGs...rs/tuning.html

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-5010, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000
post #3 of 16 Old 08-25-2017, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah it is quite high, although I'm just not sure why I hear rattling sometimes.

post #4 of 16 Old 08-31-2017, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Sounds like you are pushing the limits of the subwoofer and asking to much it. Are you getting distortion? If so time to upgrade?
post #5 of 16 Old 09-09-2017, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
Sounds like you are pushing the limits of the subwoofer and asking to much it. Are you getting distortion? If so time to upgrade?
There is no distortion of any kind. Just sounds a little rattly at times. I've been told not to worry too much about it but just not to have the bass boost too high during bassy songs.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-11-2017, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

I've been reading up on some websites and researched how subs work, what components are what, etc. From researching and some slight testing I am wondering..could it just be a wire touching the woofer during high excursion for example? I have tried retuning the amp and have lowered the bass boost. At first I did test increasing the amp gain a little and then backed off when it started getting too much.

The following settings sound fine, no rattle or vibration of what ever it is. It just sounds like the black outer ring has a hole or something or other, I don't know.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx-...ew?usp=sharing

EDIT: If I apply a little bit of pressure on the left side of the rubber outer ring the rattle goes away.

Last edited by .Kyle; 09-11-2017 at 11:26 AM.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-11-2017, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
I am wondering..could it just be a wire touching the woofer during high excursion
unscrew the amp and take a look inside

Quote:
If I apply a little bit of pressure on the left side of the rubber outer ring the rattle goes away.
and check the tightness on the subwoofer screws

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-5010, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000
post #8 of 16 Old 09-11-2017, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Kyle View Post
I've been reading up on some websites and researched how subs work, what components are what, etc. From researching and some slight testing I am wondering..could it just be a wire touching the woofer during high excursion for example? I have tried retuning the amp and have lowered the bass boost. At first I did test increasing the amp gain a little and then backed off when it started getting too much.

The following settings sound fine, no rattle or vibration of what ever it is. It just sounds like the black outer ring has a hole or something or other, I don't know.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx-...ew?usp=sharing

EDIT: If I apply a little bit of pressure on the left side of the rubber outer ring the rattle goes away.
That sounds like voice coil rub if pushing on one side of the surround stops it, but voice coil rub is more of a scratching sound than rattle. If you push on the opposite side does it make it louder/worse? Can you post a video of it or audio?

Edit I see you did post a video, yeah that sounds like tinsel lead slap. You can remove the woofer and put something on the wires to pad between the wires and cone.

HTPC, Sony 40es, 120" Silver Ticket, 7702mkii, Sunfire Amp 225w, JBL 590, JBL 520

PSA XS30, Seaton Submersive, 2 Um-18 8cf sealed, Outlaw Ultra x 12, Kappa Pro 18LF, BFM Tuba 60 horn, B&C 18TBW100 6cf 41hz, 34hz, 28hz tune

iNuke 3000 & 6000 DSP's, Crowson Motion Actuator
post #9 of 16 Old 09-11-2017, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you want to test to see if it is voice coil rub play a lower test tone at 20hz or so and see if you can still hear it, it will sound like a scratching sound. At a lower frequency, it should be easier to tell if it is slap or rub. Here are some tones if you need them https://1drv.ms/f/s!Alekwwtstb8wiso36N8W9byD2Li_ng

Just be careful with the volume, you want enough to make the sub move a lot but not push it too far so it is bottoming out. Try some higher frequencies at 60 and 80hz also, these you can turn the volume up higher. Using test tones helps to hear the "noise" verse using music. It is hard to hear in your video because the mic on your phone or camera sounds like it is distorting also but it sounds like a buzzing which would be the tinsel leads.

HTPC, Sony 40es, 120" Silver Ticket, 7702mkii, Sunfire Amp 225w, JBL 590, JBL 520

PSA XS30, Seaton Submersive, 2 Um-18 8cf sealed, Outlaw Ultra x 12, Kappa Pro 18LF, BFM Tuba 60 horn, B&C 18TBW100 6cf 41hz, 34hz, 28hz tune

post #10 of 16 Old 09-11-2017, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

The first two tests (010-019 Hz) and (020-029 Hz) does not make the sound in question. As it is 12:22 AM where I am right now, I will try and record more tests and send the footage tomorrow.
post #11 of 16 Old 09-13-2017, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Upon reading and doing more research I stumbled across this video on YouTube. This is what my sub does if my amp isn't tuned correctly. (the gain I mean):

It starts to clip out. I'm watching that video and have now learnt that it's not good if my sub does this so I'll take that into careful thought and try to prevent my sub from doing this. I just don't really know what I should really set my crossover (freq) and gain to though... I mean, if I turn up the gain with a song playing a bit when tuning/testing, the gain decrease/increase makes my sub start clipping so I have to try and either increase to a stable set or decrease.
post #12 of 16 Old 09-14-2017, 04:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
I mean, if I turn up the gain with a song playing a bit when tuning/testing, the gain decrease/increase makes my sub start clipping so I have to try and either increase to a stable set or decrease.
What do you mean by "I have to try and either increase to a stable set..."

If you are truly experiencing clipping, increasing the gain will only make it worse. You cannot turn up the gain to "move past" clipping...
post #13 of 16 Old 09-14-2017, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

If I increase the gain a bit higher the clipping goes away but the bass is too much even with the bass boost at 0 dB, it still vibrates my floor of my apartment complex, the other side of my corridor, below me and above me. This is why I have to try and sometimes decrease the gain at times.

EDIT: Okay so this is what I mean about my sub "rattling". This is the best description and "showtell" I can give.

At the start of the video you can hear a rattling before I start speaking. That's what I mean.

I've removed the old photos/video from my Google Drive and uploaded the new ones of what my crossover, bass boost and gain are set at.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...EU?usp=sharing

Last edited by .Kyle; 09-14-2017 at 10:20 AM.
post #14 of 16 Old 09-14-2017, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It sounds like tinsel lead slap to me like this
it is a fairly easy fix. Take the subwoofer out and put something soft like foam insulation or speaker gasket tape between the leads and the cone. Or they have terminals that can be turned or bent. Every sub will be made a little different so it is hard to tell you what to do without seeing it.

I would say the reason it stops when you touch the cone is because it limits the excursion just enough so that the tinsels are not able to hit the cone and vibrate.

post #15 of 16 Old 09-15-2017, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Would a bit of bubblewrap help too? I don't have anything spongey like that.
post #16 of 16 Old 09-15-2017, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Would a bit of bubblewrap help too? I don't have anything spongey like that.
id try to find foam, and not a super "plasticy" type one, something soft. Bubble wrap will make noise like a plastic grocery bag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page