HSU STF 2 Doesn't Always get out of Standby Mode, Increase Channel lvl? Smart Plug? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-19-2017, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HSU STF 2 Doesn't Always get out of Standby Mode, Increase Channel lvl? Smart Plug?

Hello everyone,
I have a question regarding my HSU STF 2's standby function but first want to start off by thanking everyone who replied to my 6/29/2017 post regarding getting a new sub or having my HSU STF 2's amp replaced. I went ahead and had the amp replaced per most suggestions and am very glad I did! A friend replaced the amp for me and said it was a fairly simple fix. FWIW, he said the build quality of the new amp is a lot better than the old amp. My concern about the standby function is that it sometimes takes a few minutes for the amp to come out of standby mode even when playing bass heavy music. The manual says it's okay to leave the subwoofers power switch in the on position as there isn't much more of a power draw but my concern is more about the amp's overall lifespan, I can't help but think the amp would be less likely to fail if it were in standby mode when not in use versus being turned on 24/7?

I'm wondering if I can help the situation by turning the subwoofers volume knob down but then increasing the subwoofers channel level in my receiver's (Pioneer VSX 920K) speaker set up menu. I just finished calibrating all my speakers with a friends SPL meter and as it is now, the subwoofers channel level is at zero while the subwoofers master volume is at around the 10 o'clock position. If you think increasing the subs channel level would help it come out of standby mode, how much of it increase should I give it? The reason I haven't tried doing this yet is I'm disabled and it's very hard for me to reach my subs volume knob, otherwise I would have just tried it out. FYI, at one point when listening to some bass heavy music, I did use my receiver's remote to increase the subs channel level to + 3 dB but it still did not come out of standby mode.

On a similar topic, is it okay to use a smart plug with my subwoofer? I recently bought an Amazon Echo Dot and a Sylvania smart plug (120 V, 15 amp). I was thinking I could then set the subwoofers power switch to the on position but use the Echo Dot and the smart plug to turn it on and off as needed. Sound doable?

Thanks for any info y'all can provide!

Dan G in CT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-19-2017, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Been going through this as well with our dual SVS PC-2000 subwoofers. Our household listens to music all day long every day and often it is at low volumes (mid 20's on the absolute scale) hence the subwoofers do not like to come awake until the master volume level reaches 30. This was even after I implemented a Y adapter, as well as, adjusted the AVR sub trim levels to 0 with amp volumes turned down. Thus, I ended up just switching both subs to ON and left them that way 24/7. Now it does not matter what the master volume level we use the subs are always working and sounding great!

Note: Turning on a calibrated sound system to not have your subs instantly working at all volume levels is flat out a good definition of maximum irritation. Meaning, I set all of my speakers to SMALL with an 80Hz crossover to send all the bass to my subs, but oh wait the subs are not auto powering on half the time. Tired of this. Hence now they are ON 24/7.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-19-2017, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Hi there,

Basically the standby mode just mutes the input going to the amp section. In either the on or standby function the amplifier components in the power supply are working the same amount. It only starts drawing more power when it's trying to amplify something.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative

post #4 of 4 Old 09-20-2017, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I use the 12v trigger cable from my avr to my sub, if you have one it is a perfect answer
And i reccomend set your sub volume up and avr trim way down but not bottomed out. (Run mcacc untill you get this balance)This allows more subwoofer headroom and just leave the sub on

Enjoy!

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-5010, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000

Last edited by littlefoott; 09-20-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page