I Need A New Sub & Also Need Some Advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 09-25-2017, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
cjp3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Whats the Best Compact Sub Under $700

Hello Everyone,
Im looking for a new sub, with a small footprint id prefer a 12" but wouldn't rule out a 10"
Id like to spend around $500-$600 but will spend a little bit more if i found something i really liked.
i dont think i wanna run multiple subs

i will be using:

Sony STR-DN1080

Ascend Acoustic
CMT-340 SE Mains
CMT-340 SE Center
CBM-170 SE Surrounds

I had been using a SVS PB-1000
and I'm looking to upgrade


Currently looking at:

Rthmik L12 ($500 b-stock)
SVS SB 2000 (can get new for $625)
RSL Speedwoofer $400 (only 10")

i like the HSU subs and have read good things about them, they are just too large for me .

any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated !!

I don't care about pressurizing the room or anything like that. this is just for watching tv and sports , maybe a occasional movie or video game


Thank you guys for your time & feedback!!

Last edited by cjp3; 09-26-2017 at 04:34 AM. Reason: update the subs I'm looking at
cjp3 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 Old 09-25-2017, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 9,509
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4333 Post(s)
Liked: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp3 View Post
Hey guys,
I had made a terrible mistake and sold my 5.1 stereo for a Sonos system!!

Anyways I'm in the process of unloading the Sonos and need some advice on a new sub !!

I plan on ordering a new Sony STR-DN108 and will pair that with

My Ascend Acoustic (which i never sold!!)
CMT-340 SE Mains
CMT-340 SE Center
CBM-170 SE Surrounds

Im looking for a sub with a small footprint & would prefer a 12"
i really don't think id like to run multiple subs

i can currently buy a brand new SVS SB-2000 for $625
im also looking at the RSL Speedwoofer $400 (only a 10")
I don't know much about audio / video equipment and don't know what other make & model subs to look at??

Id really like to stay right around $600-700 as my absolute max for a sub
i don't mind if new , b-stock or used as long as in good condition!

I don't care about pressurizing the room or anything like that. this is just for watching tv and sports , maybe a occasional movie or video game


Thank you guys for your time & feedback!!
For $604 you can buy this brand new tuneable ported HSU sub that plays as loud and low as their 15" sealed sub with a 600 watt amp.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

So if you want a tuneable sub that will play louder and a bit lower in extension than the SVS that's the one to get.

For $549 the Rhythmik LV12R is also a great deal with 50 watts less amp than the HSU but similar capability.
MIX_MASTER_ICE likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #3 of 38 Old 09-25-2017, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
cjp3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
For $604 you can buy this brand new tuneable ported HSU sub that plays as loud and low as their 15" sealed sub with a 600 watt amp.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

So if you want a tuneable sub that will play louder and a bit lower in extension than the SVS that's the one to get.

For $549 the Rhythmik LV12R is also a great deal with 50 watts less amp than the HSU but similar capability.
Thank you gajCA ,
i really like the HSU subs and have heard great thing about them however as i mentioned I'm trying to find a sub with a smaller footprint and the HSU subs tend to be a bit large
as well as the Rhytmik LV12R

Any other subs you think i should checkout please let me know , thanks !!
cjp3 is online now  
 
post #4 of 38 Old 09-25-2017, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 9,509
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4333 Post(s)
Liked: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp3 View Post
Thank you gajCA ,
i really like the HSU subs and have heard great thing about them however as i mentioned I'm trying to find a sub with a smaller footprint and the HSU subs tend to be a bit large
as well as the Rhytmik LV12R

Any other subs you think i should checkout please let me know , thanks !!
The $539 Rhythmik L12 has a slightly smaller footprint than the SB2000 and quite shockingly, despite that, and a smaller amp, seems quite a bit heavier though they only list shipping weight on their site.

Mind you Rhythmik touts part of their servo design philosophy is that they don't need larger amps to get similar volume.

But you'd have to ask in the Rhythmik thread if that is indeed the case if maximum volume is a major concern.

300watts =14w14h16d= 58 lbs* 12" [18hz] $539 RHYTHMIK L12
500watts =14w15h17d= 35 lbs 12" [19hz] $649 SVS SB2000 outlet, (extension from Sound & Vision)

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #5 of 38 Old 09-25-2017, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Not In a Gun-Free Zone
Posts: 2,797
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
The SVS PC-2000 has a footprint of 16" diameter. It will have a smaller footprint than any other comparable ported box sub. They can often be found in the outlet for around $750.

Rec Room>Vivitek 1080p projector w/100" screen/Hisense 65" 4K, Onkyo TXNR656, Fluance signature towers & center, AV5 sides, Loft 40 rears, RBH I-12/e x2, I-12 x2 subs. Living Room>Sammy 59" Plasma, Onkyo HTRC560, Klipsch KF28 L/R, KC25 center, Polk RC60i in-wall rears, SVS PB12NSD (x2) subs. PC set up> 27" LG IPS, Onkyo TXNR509, Primus P363's, JBL 550P sub. Master Bedroom>Samsung 42" LED, Pioneer VSX532, Denon 5 spkr set, Jamo J110 sub. Gaming> PS4 (x2), PS3, XBox One (x2), XBox 360
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #6 of 38 Old 09-25-2017, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
cjp3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
The $539 Rhythmik L12 has a slightly smaller footprint than the SB2000 and quite shockingly, despite that, and a smaller amp, seems quite a bit heavier though they only list shipping weight on their site.

Mind you Rhythmik touts part of their servo design philosophy is that they don't need larger amps to get similar volume.

But you'd have to ask in the Rhythmik thread if that is indeed the case if maximum volume is a major concern.

300watts =14w14h16d= 58 lbs* 12" [18hz] $539 RHYTHMIK L12
500watts =14w15h17d= 35 lbs 12" [19hz] $649 SVS SB2000 outlet, (extension from Sound & Vision)
Thanks gajCA,
I was looking @ the Rythmik LV12R
I didn't know they made a sealed Sub / L12

Thanks for the Heads up!!
cjp3 is online now  
post #7 of 38 Old 09-26-2017, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
cjp3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
The SVS PC-2000 has a footprint of 16" diameter. It will have a smaller footprint than any other comparable ported box sub. They can often be found in the outlet for around $750.
thanks mix master ,
but i wanna stay away from the cylinder shape subs as I'm just not a fan of the shape and its also a bit outta my price range
$500-$600 is where id really like to be but will spend a few extra bucks if i have to!

thanks again!!
cjp3 is online now  
post #8 of 38 Old 09-26-2017, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 9,509
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4333 Post(s)
Liked: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp3 View Post
Thanks gajCA,
I was looking @ the Rythmik LV12R
I didn't know they made a sealed Sub / L12

Thanks for the Heads up!!
The interesting thing is that on the Ascend website they offer subwoofers but have chosen Rhythmik.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #9 of 38 Old 09-26-2017, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
cjp3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
The interesting thing is that on the Ascend website they offer subwoofers but have chosen Rhythmik.
gajCA,
yes i noticed that on the Ascend website as well.
its a tough choice and I'm just not sure what to do yet.
for some reason I'm really intrigued by the speedwoofer,
but only being a 10" is kind of pushing me in another direction
cjp3 is online now  
post #10 of 38 Old 09-26-2017, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 9,509
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4333 Post(s)
Liked: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp3 View Post
gajCA,
yes i noticed that on the Ascend website as well.
its a tough choice and I'm just not sure what to do yet.
for some reason I'm really intrigued by the speedwoofer,
but only being a 10" is kind of pushing me in another direction
Speedwofer does not reach its stated extension; Sound and Vision found its -3db point to be 30hz.

So, great for music but under delivers for HT IMHO.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #11 of 38 Old 09-26-2017, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
cjp3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Speedwofer does not reach its stated extension; Sound and Vision found its -3db point to be 30hz.

So, great for music but under delivers for HT IMHO.
Thanks , I think at this point im leaning towards the Rythmik L12 (b-stock $500)

Unless someone can recommend another sub that i can get a better deal on
at a similar price point
cjp3 is online now  
post #12 of 38 Old 09-26-2017, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Not In a Gun-Free Zone
Posts: 2,797
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp3 View Post
Thanks , I think at this point im leaning towards the Rythmik L12 (b-stock $500)

Unless someone can recommend another sub that i can get a better deal on
at a similar price point
This really should have been asked by me earlier, but how big is your room and does it open to ther rooms/areas? When you say something like the HSU VTF-2.5 is too big, what are you basing this on? Have you previously done a sub crawl and have a good, specific location in mind? What happened to the PB-1000 you say you were using? I wouldn't consider the L12 an "upgrade" over the PB-1000. Might be a little better for music possibly, but you don't even list music as what you will use the sub for. I would consider this a lateral move at the very best, worse for home theater.

Rec Room>Vivitek 1080p projector w/100" screen/Hisense 65" 4K, Onkyo TXNR656, Fluance signature towers & center, AV5 sides, Loft 40 rears, RBH I-12/e x2, I-12 x2 subs. Living Room>Sammy 59" Plasma, Onkyo HTRC560, Klipsch KF28 L/R, KC25 center, Polk RC60i in-wall rears, SVS PB12NSD (x2) subs. PC set up> 27" LG IPS, Onkyo TXNR509, Primus P363's, JBL 550P sub. Master Bedroom>Samsung 42" LED, Pioneer VSX532, Denon 5 spkr set, Jamo J110 sub. Gaming> PS4 (x2), PS3, XBox One (x2), XBox 360
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #13 of 38 Old 09-26-2017, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
cjp3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the input mix master

I sold my SVS PB1000 to purchase a upgrade.

I currently have a small house , but it?s a open floor plan so my Home theater setup is not in a enclosed space / room

Not sure if I will have a dedicated HT room when I move.

I?m not really worried about pressurizing the room or anything like that.

My main use will be watching live sports , occasional movie & video game.

One of my main concerns is I don?t want a huge box / cabinet subwoofer id really like something with a smaller footprint

That?s what keeps pushing me towards the smaller sealed subs.

Rthmik L12 & SVS SB 2000

If there?s something you think I should checkout between $500-$600 please let me know !!!! Thank you !!!!
cjp3 is online now  
post #14 of 38 Old 09-26-2017, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Not In a Gun-Free Zone
Posts: 2,797
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp3 View Post
Thanks for the input mix master

I sold my SVS PB1000 to purchase a upgrade.

I currently have a small house , but it?s a open floor plan so my Home theater setup is not in a enclosed space / room

Not sure if I will have a dedicated HT room when I move.

I?m not really worried about pressurizing the room or anything like that.

My main use will be watching live sports , occasional movie & video game.

One of my main concerns is I don?t want a huge box / cabinet subwoofer id really like something with a smaller footprint

That?s what keeps pushing me towards the smaller sealed subs.

Rthmik L12 & SVS SB 2000

If there?s something you think I should checkout between $500-$600 please let me know !!!! Thank you !!!!
Small, sealed subs perform best in smaller, enclosed rooms. Doesn't sound like that's what you have at all. Ported subs work better for your situation, but don't worry about pressurizing your room anyway. No $500 sub you buy will be capable of doing that anyway, particularly in an open floorplan. The $604 VTF-2 mk5 is what you should be picking up if you want to stay within your set budget and get an actual upgrade. It's only slightly larger than the Rythmk LV12R you stated you were looking at. The L12 or the SB2000 is not an upgrade for you over the Pb-1000. If anything, it's a step down.
VtownVet likes this.

Rec Room>Vivitek 1080p projector w/100" screen/Hisense 65" 4K, Onkyo TXNR656, Fluance signature towers & center, AV5 sides, Loft 40 rears, RBH I-12/e x2, I-12 x2 subs. Living Room>Sammy 59" Plasma, Onkyo HTRC560, Klipsch KF28 L/R, KC25 center, Polk RC60i in-wall rears, SVS PB12NSD (x2) subs. PC set up> 27" LG IPS, Onkyo TXNR509, Primus P363's, JBL 550P sub. Master Bedroom>Samsung 42" LED, Pioneer VSX532, Denon 5 spkr set, Jamo J110 sub. Gaming> PS4 (x2), PS3, XBox One (x2), XBox 360
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #15 of 38 Old 09-26-2017, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
cjp3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Mix master , Ive never heard a HSU sub before but have always been a fan based on what I?ve read. They just seem so large.

I wasn?t looking at the Rthmik LV12r because of the size. I was leaning towards the LV12 sealed.

Based on what you?ve said so far I guess my top choices would be SVS pb2000 , one of the HSU subs or I guess the Rthmik 12r

Are there any other smaller ported subs between $500-$600 that I should look into?
cjp3 is online now  
post #16 of 38 Old 09-26-2017, 02:48 PM
Member
 
gygess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
This really should have been asked by me earlier, but how big is your room and does it open to ther rooms/areas? When you say something like the HSU VTF-2.5 is too big, what are you basing this on? Have you previously done a sub crawl and have a good, specific location in mind? What happened to the PB-1000 you say you were using? I wouldn't consider the L12 an "upgrade" over the PB-1000. Might be a little better for music possibly, but you don't even list music as what you will use the sub for. I would consider this a lateral move at the very best, worse for home theater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp3 View Post
Hello Everyone,
Im looking for a new sub, with a small footprint id prefer a 12" but wouldn't rule out a 10"
Id like to spend around $500-$600 but will spend a little bit more if i found something i really liked.
i dont think i wanna run multiple subs

I had been using a SVS PB-1000
and I'm looking to upgrade

Currently looking at:

Rthmik L12 ($500 b-stock)
SVS SB 2000 (can get new for $625)
RSL Speedwoofer $400 (only 10")

i like the HSU subs and have read good things about them, they are just too large for me .

any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated !!

I don't care about pressurizing the room or anything like that. this is just for watching tv and sports , maybe a occasional movie or video game


Thank you guys for your time & feedback!!
I agree with Mix Master, I think all of your options are mostly lateral moves rather than clear upgrades: at most you're looking at a slim upgrade, then you would have to really gauge whether or not it's worth the $$. Most of those potential small improvements would mostly be only in the music department, so there's another question of how much you value that (where sealed subs like SB-2000 may fare better with music than the pb-1000, etc.). The HSU subs would be an upgrade, arguably worth the extra cash, but you ruled them out due to size.

Maybe unpopular advice since the common suggestion on these forums is always spend spend spend, but I would urge you to just get over the upgrade-itch and continue with the pb-1000, and/or save up more money (say, around $900) where the subs will be a more notable improvement.
MIX_MASTER_ICE and VtownVet like this.

Denon 1612 ; Klipsch RP-160m ; Klipsch RP-250c ; Wharfedale Valdus 300 ; Emotiva Basx s12
gygess is offline  
post #17 of 38 Old 09-26-2017, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
cjp3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gygess View Post
I agree with Mix Master, I think all of your options are mostly lateral moves rather than clear upgrades: at most you're looking at a slim upgrade, then you would have to really gauge whether or not it's worth the $$. Most of those potential small improvements would mostly be only in the music department, so there's another question of how much you value that (where sealed subs like SB-2000 may fare better with music than the pb-1000, etc.). The HSU subs would be an upgrade, arguably worth the extra cash, but you ruled them out due to size.

Maybe unpopular advice since the common suggestion on these forums is always spend spend spend, but I would urge you to just get over the upgrade-itch and continue with the pb-1000, and/or save up more money (say, around $900) where the subs will be a more notable improvement.
the SVS PB1000 is already sold so i need to buy something

if i have to go with a larger cabinet / sub

i guess id consider the
SVS PB-2000
HSU VTF2 MK5

anything else i should checkout before i pull the trigger ?
cjp3 is online now  
post #18 of 38 Old 09-26-2017, 03:09 PM
Member
 
gygess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp3 View Post
the SVS PB1000 is already sold so i need to buy something

if i have to go with a larger cabinet / sub

i guess id consider the
SVS PB-2000
HSU VTF2 MK5

anything else i should checkout before i pull the trigger ?
Hmm, didn't know you had already sold the 1000,

VTF2.5 would probably be the better value over the PB-2000, but again, it's also the uglier of the two. There's no shame in having to consider WAF and general room aesthetics, sometimes "it's just too big".

Since you were originally concerned with size, please don't rush into the VTF2.5. Make a mock-up out of cardboard or paper, sometimes it looks bigger than what you imagine the measurements to look like. Approval from the spouse (if it applies), also helps a ton. Then, of course the VTF-2.5 is much more sensible as an "upgrade".. PB-2000 is also a good choice, both of these will be more clear upgrades over the 1000: assuming this is for movies/tv for the majority of use.

Denon 1612 ; Klipsch RP-160m ; Klipsch RP-250c ; Wharfedale Valdus 300 ; Emotiva Basx s12
gygess is offline  
post #19 of 38 Old 09-26-2017, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Not In a Gun-Free Zone
Posts: 2,797
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp3 View Post
Mix master , Ive never heard a HSU sub before but have always been a fan based on what I?ve read. They just seem so large.

I wasn?t looking at the Rthmik LV12r because of the size. I was leaning towards the LV12 sealed.

Based on what you?ve said so far I guess my top choices would be SVS pb2000 , one of the HSU subs or I guess the Rthmik 12r

Are there any other smaller ported subs between $500-$600 that I should look into?
HSU has been a major player in the ID game for a long time. I believe they started up back in the early 90's. The PB-2000, like the PC-2000, is $800, which you stated was over your budget. PB-2000 is also moving up the size ladder still yet, as it is bigger than the VTF-2 MK5.

Rec Room>Vivitek 1080p projector w/100" screen/Hisense 65" 4K, Onkyo TXNR656, Fluance signature towers & center, AV5 sides, Loft 40 rears, RBH I-12/e x2, I-12 x2 subs. Living Room>Sammy 59" Plasma, Onkyo HTRC560, Klipsch KF28 L/R, KC25 center, Polk RC60i in-wall rears, SVS PB12NSD (x2) subs. PC set up> 27" LG IPS, Onkyo TXNR509, Primus P363's, JBL 550P sub. Master Bedroom>Samsung 42" LED, Pioneer VSX532, Denon 5 spkr set, Jamo J110 sub. Gaming> PS4 (x2), PS3, XBox One (x2), XBox 360
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #20 of 38 Old 09-26-2017, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 9,509
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4333 Post(s)
Liked: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp3 View Post
the SVS PB1000 is already sold so i need to buy something

if i have to go with a larger cabinet / sub

i guess id consider the
SVS PB-2000
HSU VTF2 MK5

anything else i should checkout before i pull the trigger ?
In my 200 sq/ft room my DD15 is an 18" square box that is 20" tall; I wish it were smaller and if you go ported you will too as the PB2000 is even bigger than what I consider to be the too large DD15.

I'd suggest you order the SVS SB2000 and see as they have easy returns as you know.

The L12 is smaller still but no free returns.

The SB2000 is approximately 3600 cubic inches, the PB2000 is 8700 cubic inches!

The L12 is 3150 cubic inches your old PB1000 was 5700 cubic inches.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #21 of 38 Old 09-26-2017, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
cjp3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
thanks guys. i just found a SVS PB 2000 not too far from me for $600-$625 still agreeing on a final price
as of now i think this is the best deal i can find
cjp3 is online now  
post #22 of 38 Old 09-26-2017, 03:39 PM
Member
 
gygess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp3 View Post
thanks guys. i just found a SVS PB 2000 not too far from me for $600-$625 still agreeing on a final price
as of now i think this is the best deal i can find
As long as you're sure the size will be okay, then I think you should be happy with it. I'm not sure how the PB-2000 fares against the VTF-2.5, but I imagine both are more than enough for most people.

Denon 1612 ; Klipsch RP-160m ; Klipsch RP-250c ; Wharfedale Valdus 300 ; Emotiva Basx s12
gygess is offline  
post #23 of 38 Old 09-26-2017, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
cjp3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
im going to think about it for another night or 2 before i pull the trigger on any of these subs
cjp3 is online now  
post #24 of 38 Old 09-26-2017, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Not In a Gun-Free Zone
Posts: 2,797
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
If the PB-2000 has most of the 5 year warranty remaining, $600 is a fair price. This is also contingent on the sub being in good overall condition. I believe the PB-2000 came out early 2014, so it's around three and ahalf years old as a model. Make sure the serial number sticker is still on the back plate amp. Otherwise you have no way to check the purchase date or use the warranty if needed.

PB-2000 will have more output lower in range, while the VTF-2 will have more output higher in range. Considering your open floorplan, it might be a better option to go with the sub that can give you more output 40Hz and up.
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #25 of 38 Old 09-26-2017, 05:03 PM
Member
 
gygess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp3 View Post
im going to think about it for another night or 2 before i pull the trigger on any of these subs
Two things to consider:

1) What exactly were you not satisfied with/ looking to upgrade from the PB-1000? For instance, if it was because it may have sounded boomy at times, or that you like more of a sealed and tight sound, then the HSU's have a bit more customizeability for that kind of thing. If you liked the PB-1000, but it just wasn't loud and powerful enough, then the PB-2000 will improve on the PB-1000.

2) Since the PB-2000 is quite large, you open yourself up to many other subs than the original ones posted at the beginning of this thread. Don't know if people have any other suggestions, but that may be something to seek out.

All said: If you were more or less happy with the PB-1000, and you're okay with the size of the PB-2000, then you could forego lots of stress and headache by just getting the 2000 and calling it a day. If you want to tinker with the sound and customizing a bit then I think the VTF-2.5 may be the better option. Finally, if you generally care about "newness" and all that, the HSU sub is new at the same price of the used PB-2000, that may or may not be important to you.

Denon 1612 ; Klipsch RP-160m ; Klipsch RP-250c ; Wharfedale Valdus 300 ; Emotiva Basx s12
gygess is offline  
post #26 of 38 Old 09-26-2017, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
cjp3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The SVS PB1000 was a decent sub but it seemed underpowered compared to the rest of my system.

If there is anything else in the $500-$600 price range besides HSU & SVS please let me know.

I spoke with the guys over at speedwoofer and he said they?ll have a new 12? sub but it won?t be out until next year.

I can?t wait that long
cjp3 is online now  
post #27 of 38 Old 09-26-2017, 05:27 PM
Member
 
gygess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp3 View Post
The SVS PB1000 was a decent sub but it seemed underpowered compared to the rest of my system.

If there is anything else in the $500-$600 price range besides HSU & SVS please let me know.

I spoke with the guys over at speedwoofer and he said they?ll have a new 12? sub but it won?t be out until next year.

I can?t wait that long
If you're only concern was that it was underpowered then I think you would save a lot of headache by just getting the PB-2000 since it will just be the PB-1000's bigger brother. No doubt there will be people here that will defend Subwoofer X of brand Z, against another, but I wouldn't worry too much since you have top choices to begin with.

I believe the PB-2000 performs better than the VTF-2, but it's also bigger too. If the size is okay, and the "used" condition is good and not out of warranty, I think that PB-2000 is the easy choice.

Denon 1612 ; Klipsch RP-160m ; Klipsch RP-250c ; Wharfedale Valdus 300 ; Emotiva Basx s12
gygess is offline  
post #28 of 38 Old 09-26-2017, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
cjp3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Aren?t the SVS pb2000 and the hsu vtf2 mk5 about the same size ?
cjp3 is online now  
post #29 of 38 Old 09-26-2017, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Not In a Gun-Free Zone
Posts: 2,797
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp3 View Post
Aren?t the SVS pb2000 and the hsu vtf2 mk5 about the same size ?
PB-2000 is a bit larger. Here is a review from a guy who compares them and you can see their size comparison. The VTF-2 is a bit taller, but the PB-2000 is wider and deeper. Pb-2000 would likely be just as tall if it wasn't sitting on such puny little feet.

Rec Room>Vivitek 1080p projector w/100" screen/Hisense 65" 4K, Onkyo TXNR656, Fluance signature towers & center, AV5 sides, Loft 40 rears, RBH I-12/e x2, I-12 x2 subs. Living Room>Sammy 59" Plasma, Onkyo HTRC560, Klipsch KF28 L/R, KC25 center, Polk RC60i in-wall rears, SVS PB12NSD (x2) subs. PC set up> 27" LG IPS, Onkyo TXNR509, Primus P363's, JBL 550P sub. Master Bedroom>Samsung 42" LED, Pioneer VSX532, Denon 5 spkr set, Jamo J110 sub. Gaming> PS4 (x2), PS3, XBox One (x2), XBox 360
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #30 of 38 Old 09-26-2017, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
cjp3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I could care less about what brand it is. I?m just trying to find the best possible deal and get the most sub for my buck
cjp3 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off