I'm looking for a 'Speciality' Subwoofer........ - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Mark Seaton
  • 1 Post By craig john

post #1 of 7 Old 10-17-2017, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm looking for a 'Speciality' Subwoofer........

Hello everyone,

So this is a bit of a strange one. I'm looking to compile a list of low budget subwoofers capable of producing VERY low frequencies. In the range of the 0-60Hz region. I gather many commercially available speakers will be limited however I could be wrong here, this is all very new to me and if anyone could shed some light on the matter of potentially modifying standard subwoofers to produce the desired frequencies, I'm all ears

I must stress, it is NOT for sound as such but more for the effect the low frequency has on the air and it's surroundings. I am undertaking a rather large and complicated engineering project which involves this principle, but don't really have the budget to spend £400+ on a subwoofer.

I have been researching but thought what better place to ask than a sub forum about subwoofers. Basically, are there subwoofers for cheap that are capable of such low frequency ranges?

Again, very out-there topic but any discussion is good discussion.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-17-2017, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 1866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Mackinnon View Post
Hello everyone,

So this is a bit of a strange one. I'm looking to compile a list of low budget subwoofers capable of producing VERY low frequencies. In the range of the 0-60Hz region. I gather many commercially available speakers will be limited however I could be wrong here, this is all very new to me and if anyone could shed some light on the matter of potentially modifying standard subwoofers to produce the desired frequencies, I'm all ears

I must stress, it is NOT for sound as such but more for the effect the low frequency has on the air and it's surroundings. I am undertaking a rather large and complicated engineering project which involves this principle, but don't really have the budget to spend £400+ on a subwoofer.

I have been researching but thought what better place to ask than a sub forum about subwoofers. Basically, are there subwoofers for cheap that are capable of such low frequency ranges?

Thanks
Your answer will come from multiple sealed woofer and sufficient power for the box size you can justify, or from massive ported cabinets. If this is for an engineering project, go DIY with well understood components. Check out the DIY and OEM systems tested thus far by Data-Bass. Before you get too far you need some quantifiable targets and conditions under which you are operating, as there is a huge difference in working outdoors vs small, rigid rooms. Can you give any details of what you are testing for the curious readers here?
audiofreak38 and 18Hurts like this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #3 of 7 Old 10-17-2017, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I would say - good luck. You might be able to get a sub system to play the very low frequencies, but not very loud and not in small enclosures for your budget. Give us more information.

post #4 of 7 Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Im just here to be nosy.....

Sharp Aquos Q+ 70" UQ
Onkyo Tx-nr646
Klipsch RP-280F (F/R towers) RP-250C (Center)
Polk Towers (rear surround)
SVS Elevations (Front Height)
2 PSA V1801 1 PSA V1500 Xbox1
post #5 of 7 Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 303
It is impossible to find a budget subwoofer that will have any output in 1-60Hz range (0 Hz is no signal), let alone 20-30Hz... You need a big driver, with a big magnet assembly and an amp with big power... All that comes at a big price.

If there was such a subwoofer at a low price, everybody would be buying it...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #6 of 7 Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
It is impossible to find a budget subwoofer that will have any output in 1-60Hz range (0 Hz is no signal), let alone 20-30Hz... You need a big driver, with a big magnet assembly and an amp with big power... All that comes at a big price.

If there was such a subwoofer at a low price, everybody would be buying it...
After a long talk with an expert today in electrical components and sound testing, I have a much better understanding of what I'm looking for...

You're right, the bigger the diameter of the woofer, the better although an idea of many small 2-3" speakers together in a ring/circle formation was thrown around. We weren't sure if losses would add or reduce?

The magnet assembly would also need to be large and heavy, however that isn't such an issue if it is all mounted on a tracked device

Basically, the larger the VOLUME of air the sub can distort without shaking itself apart, the better. Porting the sub was also discussed and concluded that I could fabricate a housing and vents.

I was told that the 500W range is what I should be looking for...
post #7 of 7 Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Mackinnon View Post
Hello everyone,

Thanks
I'm sorry, but you can't possibly do what you want to do on such a limited budget. The number of subs capable of reproducing frequencies from 1 to 20 Hz at the ~ $550 pricepoint equals exactly... ZERO. They don't exist. If all you need is 20 to 60 Hz, you'll have many more options. However, you said this was a "large and complicated engineering project" looking at the "effect the low frequency has on air and it's surroundings" so I would think infrasonics, (<20 Hz), would be a substantial part of the project. You will also need substantial output at these low frequencies, so multiples of any of the below subs may be necessary.

The only subwoofer I know that has output to <1 Hz is the rotary fan sub. It costs somewhere north of $12k and that doesn't include the building modifications required to install it:
http://www.eminent-tech.com/main.html

There is also the BossoBass Raptor System One, that for $2,599 plus the amp for $999 will get you 5.5 Hz and be down 10 dB at 1.5 Hz. http://bossobass.com/Bossobass.com/Home.html

Mark Seaton's subs will have output down to 7 Hz or so, depending on where he's setting the HPF these days. An F18+ will set you back $2,395, with additional slave units at $1,195

Nathan Funk's subs will get to 10 Hz, but will cost more than the Seatons: https://www.funkaudio.ca/

JTR's Cpativator 4000 ULF has output to 10 Hz and will cost $3,399: http://jtrspeakers.com/index.html: http://data-bass.com/data?page=home

You should check Data-Bass as they have some terrific measurements of subwoofer drivers and systems, both commercial and DIY:

Another place you could check s the DIY forum. Many forum members are building prodigious subwoofer systems for lees than their commercial counterparts. Still, the budget will need to increase even if you "roll your own."

Bottom line, if you want to actually complete your project as specified, you'll need to raise the subwoofer budget SUBSTANTIALLY.

Good luck.

Craig
audiofreak38 likes this.

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page