* Offical Velodyne Support Thread * - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #451 of 9771 Old 03-21-2004, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The trace screen on my demo sub has a noisy (diagonal stripes in both S-video and (worse) composite) black background, not the clean blue that the screen scrapes I have seen show. How do I get a better picture?

The manual talks about establishing line level inputs and bi-amping.

Quote:

3. Establish the Line-level connection (optional). Connect What? to a pre-amplifier's main outputs and return them What? to your amplifier inputs. When installed in this fashion, your satellite speakers will be crossed over at 80Hz, which removes the lower bass from your amplifier and speakers, enabling them to do a better job reproducing high frequencies. By utilizing this method, you will have a bi-amplified system, gaining improved power and headroom for your system.

Can anyone explain what this is all about and what needs to be connected to what to make it work? (My receiver has pre-outs.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 9771 Old 03-22-2004, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,
I have no idea why your picture is not correct. You might try running the Video from the subwoofer directly into your TV set.

The optional hook-up you're referring to would be in a stereo (2 channel) application. You accomplish the same thing in a Dolby Digital receiver or processor by indicating your speakers are "small".

Thanks,
Curt
post #453 of 9771 Old 03-23-2004, 10:19 AM

I've read this support forum all the way through and have learned a lot.

My room is has 9' ceilings and is 16' x 25' with a 16' x 16' L shape off the back resulting in 6,000 cubic feet in the primary space, plus two openings to a kitchen and hallway resulting in another 3000+/- cu ft. of secondary area = 9,000 cu ft. total.

Right now I'm using a single Definitive Technology SuperCube I (14 x 14 x 14), which was a big improvement over nothing, but not the state-of-the-art experience I want. It is physically located in an area specifically boxed out and recessed flush in the wall for it (made of 1' thick plywood) located under a stairwell to the right and 3' back from the front wall.

From previous questions and answers in this thread, I'm already expecting a recommendation of a Velodyne DD-18. This will not fit in the existing boxed alcove under the stairs, so it would have to be located in the corner or along the back wall.

My questions are:

1). Can I keep and use the SuperCube I in the existing location (Front Right) in conjunction with a new Velodyne DD-18 in the Back Left? Or are these subwoofers too dissimilar in size and timbre character?

If not,

2). If I replaced the SuperCube I with a Velodyne DD-12, which dimensionally is the largest DD subwoofer that will fit in the existing boxed alcove, would the Velodyne DD-18 and Velodyne DD-12 work and blend OK together?

In other words, is it always best when using two subwoofers to use two of identical size or is it acceptable to mix and match sizes, if not brands?

The high level of exacting support evidenced by this forum has been the deciding factor for my plans to purchase one or more Velodyne DD subwoofers.

Thanks,

Chris Cargen
post #454 of 9771 Old 03-23-2004, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Chris,
In theory it's best to use exactly the same sub when using a pair, or at least a similar unit. However I've heard of some strange things working out quite well.
Once you have the DD-18, you could see how it performs alone and with the Def-Tech. If I were going to use two, I would use the DD-12 or the HGS-12X as the second unit. They will easily outperform the smaller Def-Tech.
By all means get the DD-18. You'll be amazed with its performance. You're currently way undersub'ed.
Thanks,
Curt
post #455 of 9771 Old 03-23-2004, 06:43 PM

Hello Curt

Thanks again for the effort you are putting into this thread. It naturally helps to establish a good relationship with existing and future. owners of Velodyne.

Ok to my question. My room is 26(l) x 18(w) x 9 (h) entry to it is via a set of double doors which are solid. From you web site it reccomends a 18" sub. I currently own a f1500 and although I have tried to sell it or trade it in. Its age makes it worth not that much at all. It is still functional. I would like to know should I do the following.
1. purchase a dd15 and add it to current one
2. purchase a dd18 and discard my current one
3. purchase a dd18 and add it to my current one.

If I am to still use my current sub. I am concerned how it will interact with the other. Since one the principle features of the new dd line is the internal eq. If one is eq and the other is not. Will that be couter preductive to the other and therefore ruin the whole objective. What is the best way to integrate the two? Do you plan to have an outboard eq device with microphone for your previous line? Or know of the existance of such else where?

Thankyou

Ben

Home Theatre Experience.........thats whats its all about!

Dont tell me it cant be done...there is ALWAYS a way.
post #456 of 9771 Old 03-24-2004, 06:43 AM

Curt,

Thanks for your reply to my question above. Here's a follow-up question:

I've decided to spend a total of $8,000+/- retail for two Velodyne DD's and sell my existing sub. Based on my room description above, am I better off purchasing 2 identical DD-15's (2 x $3999) or one
DD-18 ($4999) and one DD-12 ($2999)?

Thanks,

Chris
post #457 of 9771 Old 03-24-2004, 08:00 AM

In terms of cone surface area 1 x 18" plus 1 x 12" is slightly greater than 2 x 15" (368in^2 vs. 353in^2), but there's not a lot in it. Dunno about the excursion capabilities of the sub, or if there are any other factors though...

Dunc
post #458 of 9771 Old 03-24-2004, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by cargen
Curt,

Thanks for your reply to my question above. Here's a follow-up question:

I've decided to spend a total of $8,000+/- retail for two Velodyne DD's and sell my existing sub. Based on my room description above, am I better off purchasing 2 identical DD-15's (2 x $3999) or one
DD-18 ($4999) and one DD-12 ($2999)?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,
Without trying them it's a hard call.
My first recommendation would be a pair of DD-18's (shop around for a good price).
My second choice would be a pair of DD-15's.
As I said earlier, it's normally easier to deal with two identical subs.
Good Luck,
Curt
post #459 of 9771 Old 03-24-2004, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by benthx
Hello Curt

Thanks again for the effort you are putting into this thread. It naturally helps to establish a good relationship with existing and future. owners of Velodyne.

Ok to my question. My room is 26(l) x 18(w) x 9 (h) entry to it is via a set of double doors which are solid. From you web site it reccomends a 18" sub. I currently own a f1500 and although I have tried to sell it or trade it in. Its age makes it worth not that much at all. It is still functional. I would like to know should I do the following.
1. purchase a dd15 and add it to current one
2. purchase a dd18 and discard my current one
3. purchase a dd18 and add it to my current one.

If I am to still use my current sub. I am concerned how it will interact with the other. Since one the principle features of the new dd line is the internal eq. If one is eq and the other is not. Will that be couter preductive to the other and therefore ruin the whole objective. What is the best way to integrate the two? Do you plan to have an outboard eq device with microphone for your previous line? Or know of the existance of such else where?

Thankyou

Ben

Hi Ben,
I would purchase the DD-18, since that sub alone will do a fine job in your room. If you decide to try using your current one also (perhaps in the rear or side) I would have it playing when you EQ the DD-18.
Curt
post #460 of 9771 Old 03-24-2004, 04:23 PM

Thankyou Curt

Ben

Home Theatre Experience.........thats whats its all about!

Dont tell me it cant be done...there is ALWAYS a way.
post #461 of 9771 Old 03-29-2004, 02:46 PM

Liked: 11
Here Ya go !
post #462 of 9771 Old 03-30-2004, 10:07 AM

Hi:

I have a Velodyne F-1500R which has been mostly dormant for the last several years, due to the fact that the sub was just too powerful for the apartment I had recently lived in. Now that I'm in my own house, I have discovered what appears to be a problem with the electronics of the unit.

I first noticed the problem when I reactivated the F-1500R and noticed it wasn't playing any sound. When I adjusted the volume control, the sub would cut in and out at different levels of the volume control. After more usage, the sub will now stay on the and volume control will control the volume level, but if I turn my preamp to 0 volume and just spin the volume control through its range, the sub will make intermittent low frequency sound pulses randomly as the volume control is rotated. Same thing happens if I spin the crossover frequency control.

Aside from this the sub appear to be working. Due to the immense size and weight of the F-1500R I don't want to try to bring or send the unit back to Velodyne or even a local repair depot. Since the problem appears to be in the controls for the electronics, is the F-1500R built in such a way that I could just order a new electronics unit from Velodyne and swap it into my sub?

If so, who do I contact, and what is the cost?
post #463 of 9771 Old 03-30-2004, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,
Please call our service dept at; (408) 465-2851 to get a return authorization number for the amplifier only. They will instruct you on removing the amp and repair costs.
Curt
post #464 of 9771 Old 03-31-2004, 11:29 AM

Hi:

I've been shopping around for subwoofers and have been seriously considering the SPL-1000 II or SPL-1200 II. I need to fill loosely 3000 cubic feet of space, in a very strangely shaped room - check the link for my diagram. I've identified two possible positions for the subwoofer. Would the SPL series be enough to fill this room? I'm 60/40 HT/Music.

Another question I had is in regards to manufacture. I've heard a number of warry mentions of the Velodyne subs from a few posts and also B&Ms, recommending that I not buy your subs due to "loss of quality since production was moved to China". Which of your product lines are actually manufactured in China?

Thank you very much for your time.

irena
post #465 of 9771 Old 03-31-2004, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Irena,
The SPL-1200II would be an excellent choice for your "strange" room. I would definitely start with position #1. (If budget allows, also consider the HGS-15X).
The SPL's, HGS's and DD's are all made at our factory in California. Some of our entry level products are made in China. We have not had any degradation of quality with these products.
Thanks for the questions,
Curt
post #466 of 9771 Old 04-02-2004, 07:06 AM

On a DD pressing TEST three times brings up some debugging information. I assume that gclvl drops from 255 whenever velo has to compress the signal. It drops to about 50 (and under) quite easily with some punishment.

Accgainh tells how much the servo is participating and with theater/music at 8 it hits 57 at most and at 1 rises only to 15. Could someone confirm if my assumptions are correct?

It's certainly a nice feature and an easy way to check whether or not you're pushing your subwoofer to the limit.
post #467 of 9771 Old 04-02-2004, 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MauriE
On a DD pressing TEST three times brings up some debugging information. I assume that gclvl drops from 255 whenever velo has to compress the signal. It drops to about 50 (and under) quite easily with some punishment.

Accgainh tells how much the servo is participating and with theater/music at 8 it hits 57 at most and at 1 rises only to 15. Could someone confirm if my assumptions are correct?

It's certainly a nice feature and an easy way to check whether or not you're pushing your subwoofer to the limit.

Congratulations, all your assumptions are correct! You have found what we affectionately refer to as an Easter Egg (appropriate since we are close to Easter). We use that info in debugging and calibration. The values you refer to are internal variables we use in the signal processing software section. GCLVL means Gain Compression Level and behaves as you mentioned. ACCGAINH is Accelerometer Gain High and again, behaves as you described.

Just for fun, here are a couple more easter eggs programmed into the DSP.

Pressing the up arrow four consecutive times followed by SELECT causes the unit's serial and model number info to be displayed at the top of the screen for about a minute. Pressing 6-7 in succession kicks the unit into an auto-accelerometer calibration mode for about 30 seconds.

And (be careful with this one) - pressing 8-9-0 on the remote restores all defaults, including the EQs. DON'T do this unless you want to wipe out all your room calibration settings!

Have Fun,
Bruce

Bruce Hall
Velodyne Acoustics
post #468 of 9771 Old 04-02-2004, 09:31 AM

Thanks for your reply, Bruce!

The 8-9-0 resetting and 6-7 calibration tricks can be found from the online manual (page 23 under restoring defaults) on your website. My printed manual only mentions the former.
post #469 of 9771 Old 04-02-2004, 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MauriE
Thanks for your reply, Bruce!

The 8-9-0 resetting and 6-7 calibration tricks can be found from the online manual (page 23 under restoring defaults) on your website. My printed manual only mentions the former.

You've down your homework! Are you in the research field?

Bruce Hall
Velodyne Acoustics
post #470 of 9771 Old 04-02-2004, 10:12 AM

QUESTION ABOUT EQ Cables:

I have two DD-15's on order. Both will require 40' length EQ cords to connect back to my Pre-Pro, which has both a LEFT and RIGHT Subwoofer output. I intend to use RCA cable couplers to create a 50' length from the 25' audio and video cables that come in the box with each DD-15. But, I'll have to order a new 40' length audio and video cable(s) for to connect the second DD-15 back to my Pre/Pro.

I already own two 40' lengths of XLR cable for the subwoofer signal cables.

My question is regarding the EQ cables.

Page 6. 4 of the Velodyne DD Manual states:

Connect the audio/video cable between your subwoofer (EQ OUTPUT VIDEO/LEFT/RIGHT - yellow, white, and red, respectively) and your electronics (receiver, processor, TV, etc.). Insert the colorcoded cable plugs into the correct EQ OUTPUT receptacle - the yellow plug into the VIDEO jack, the white plug into the LEFT jack, and the red plug into the RIGHT jack. The opposite ends of this cable should be connected to your receiver/processor to an available audio input (e.g. AUX). The yellow VIDEO cable goes to an available composite video input (e.g. aux), and the white/red AUDIO (L&R) cables go to a corresponding audio input.

Since I will be using one DD-15 LEFT channel and another as RIGHT channel is it necessary to use a triple RCA cable (video-audio left and audio right) for each EQ cable or would a double RCA cable suffice for each DD-15's EQ cable (video and audio left) for the left channel DD-15 and (video and audio right) for the right channel DD-15?

Thanks,
Chris Cargen
post #471 of 9771 Old 04-02-2004, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Chris,
You'll only need the one 50' triple cable you create by coupling our two cables. Hook up the cable to the EQ/Video outputs of one sub only, and run it into aux/video inputs on your processor. Then run your balanced sub out jacks to each DD-15's balanced inputs. You'll also need a serial (mouse extender) cable running from one DD-15 to the other DD-15. (This computer cable will pass volume and preset changes from one sub to the other.)
Play back the signal sweep via the aux/video input. It will be playing on your front speakers and both subwoofers. Now EQ the sub that is furnishing the signal sweep and video. (The microphone is receiving input from front speakers and both subs.) EQ'ing the single sub should produce excellent results.
Curt
post #472 of 9771 Old 04-02-2004, 01:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
I've seen some pricing listed for the DD series, but was wondering if street pricing has come down significantly from previously listed MSRP. I have 2 questions regarding this:

1 - What is the current US MSRP for the 10, 12, 15 and 18 versions of the DD series?

2 - Has street pricing come off MSRP? I ask this because I have seen pricing from places that I would expect to see selling items at MSRP much lower than the MSRPs previously given in this thread. Curt gave an MSRP for the DD-12 last October of $2999. However, Tweeter (Hifi Buys here in Atlanta) shows a price of $2499 for the DD-12. They also have pricing on the DD-15 at $2999 and the DD-18 at $3999. A newly posted April review from AudioRevolution gives the DD-12 MSRP at $2999 and the December Secrets review of the DD-18 gives its MSRP as $4995. No one, least of all me, will complain if street prices have come down but it just seems odd to see such a huge gap.

Thanks for any and all info.

I'm nerdy in the extreme, I'm whiter than sour cream...
post #473 of 9771 Old 04-02-2004, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,
The above examples appear to accurately reflect the MSRP and "street" prices.
Curt
post #474 of 9771 Old 04-08-2004, 09:01 PM

Liked: 11
dear velo CHT12 users,

I don't know if it is okay to copy and paste a part of some other forum's posting. I apologize if it is inappropriate. I was about to place an order for velo CHT12, and while asking questions in this forum, someone directed me to the following posting somewhere else. I find it quite surprising... Do you guys agree with this? Or, is it possible that the velo mentioned below is a lemon? Bad connection? Any comment is appreciated.

"I also recently had the chance to demo the velodyne cht-12 of a friend. I didn't have my meter with me but the level of port/vent noise @ 31.5 Hz was disturbing. It could not be turned up to a decent level without generating that noise. Nevermind 25 Hz or below...the dB level must have been very low in addition to the excessive port/vent noise. Overall I was not impressed with the cht-12 and had even more respect for the stf-1."

Is CHT12 really this bad?

Thanks!

I learned everything I know about HT from this forum...
post #475 of 9771 Old 04-09-2004, 05:21 AM

Liked: 15
starlite ,

Look for pro reviews on the sub not what some boom boom head banger thought he heard ,all is subjective....

Most people don't know what they want...but, they're pretty sure they haven't got it. ©

post #476 of 9771 Old 04-09-2004, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

<< Pressing 6-7 in succession kicks the unit into an auto-accelerometer calibration mode for about 30 seconds. >>

And this does what?

Brian R. Smith
post #477 of 9771 Old 04-09-2004, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Balances the wheels on your car.

Ran
post #478 of 9771 Old 04-09-2004, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bghead8che
<< Pressing 6-7 in succession kicks the unit into an auto-accelerometer calibration mode for about 30 seconds. >>

And this does what?

This is an accelerometer calibration routine. Each DD accelerometer has a Piezo-electric diving board that reports the acceleration of the cone to an A/D circuit inside the accelerometer. This signal is then fed back to the DSP that analyzes it and uses it for correction up to 16,000 times per second (on theater/music setting 8). The calibration routine sets the sensitivity of the chip, which varies slightly from piece to piece. We do it here at the factory before each unit is sent out.

It isn't something that users need to do unless a new amp has been installed. And even then, the calibration is constantly updated inside the software so it will calibrate over time anyway.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

Bruce Hall
Velodyne Acoustics
post #479 of 9771 Old 04-09-2004, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Sounds like I will just leave it as is.

I did like the idea of the tire balance though

Brian R. Smith
post #480 of 9771 Old 04-09-2004, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bghead8che
Thanks. Sounds like I will just leave it as is.

I did like the idea of the tire balance though

Feel free to use the routine if your sub pulls to the left

Bruce Hall
Velodyne Acoustics
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Velodyne Acoustics , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Wiconnect 10 Wireless Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 8 8 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 12 12 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer , Velodyne

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page