post #5131 of 9631 Old 12-20-2008, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by curt c View Post

Hi, I sent you a PM with instructions. Thanks, Curt (928) 858-4430

Well, as an intermediate step (on David Santos' advice) I've had a look at the three pin connector feeding the IR receiver. The circuit board side has a standard three pin setup seen commonly on computer motherboards as a fan header. The socket half of the connector (on the three IR wires) is a strange style I have not seen associated with that circuit board fan header style. It is not even of the same material. I would go so far as to say that the assemblers are using the wrong type. It fits, but does not snap into place like it should. Further, the amount of clamping pressure applied by the small metal sleeves inside the socket onto the circuit board mounted pins was very weak. There was a substantial amount of 'play' when it was seated and I could slide it off the pins with no effort at all. This is Dec 2007 build date DD-18.

I could not reliably state that the electrical connection was poor but the physical connection did not impart confidence, especially in an environment where vibration is the order of the day.

So, I disassembled the socket connector and bent the tangs in the metal sleeves such that once the pin is inserted there is a very positive clamping pressure applied to the pins. After reassembly, there was a definite improvement in the physical integrity of the pin to socket connection. Time will tell if this solves the issue.

My current theory is that vibration in the connection would cause the board to momentarily lose the electrical connection to the IR receiver. However, rather than simply be an internittent fault what the momentary break in connection does is (either via software reaction or circuit board design) immediately drop the IR receiver from the system completely. This would explain why a power cycle or 8-9-0 reset would be required to pick up the IR receiver again.

If the theory is accurate then there is an opportunity for Velodyne to adjust the software or the board design to prevent that momentary disconnect from causing a complete subsystem failure (loss of IR receiver), not to mention making sure the correct connectors are being used by the assemblers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5132 of 9631 Old 12-20-2008, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the feedback, I'll pass it on.
Curt (928) 858-4430
post #5133 of 9631 Old 12-20-2008, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Hi,
In order to work correctly together, they should be the same software version so upload both to the latest version. You are correct that eq as well as room placement could account for the volume variation so have the volume set so that each plays the same at listening position and if the numbers are different, that's fine. I would also give them more input from your receiver or pre/pro by raising the volume for the subwoofer channel and back off some on the DD's to compensate.
Thanks,
Curt (928) 858-4430 or curt@velodyne.com

Thanks Curt,

I have always had the sub channel in the receiver up to 8/10 even when I ran one DD-18 so I have done the same for the two.

Also would you calibrate one DD-18 to match the other speakers dB's then switch that one off and do the second the same or do both together to match the other speakers dB's.

I will update to the latest version when I get a cable.

Craig
post #5134 of 9631 Old 12-20-2008, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,
I would do the volume one at a time with a SPL meter if you have one.
Curt (928) 858-4430
post #5135 of 9631 Old 12-20-2008, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The reason I ask is you hear so many different opinions on this subject, just reading the thread below you get the opposite.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1096139
post #5136 of 9631 Old 12-20-2008, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,
Try it either way. I answered what seemed logical to me. BTW, you can hook your DD up to the TV and with one DD at a time get the same level. That's what I would do.
Thanks,
Curt
post #5137 of 9631 Old 12-20-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabra View Post

The subs are different versions one is v2.2 and the other the older v2.0 (the v2.2 is louder) I doubt this would make the difference.

See here for a small discussion of the differences:

http://www.avtalk.co.uk/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=18356
post #5138 of 9631 Old 12-21-2008, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas777 View Post

Hello -

The subject line says it all.

The normal servo pop at start-up keeps popping every few seconds and does not stop.

The above is the original post of my problem.

I sent the amplifier unit only to Velodyne, and they swapped it for a repaired one, at a cost of $240 on 1/14/2008.

Well the same popping thing started again last night, so the amp is blown again.

Does anyone know what Velodyne's warranty is on repairs???

Bob Sliwa
"Like a Midget at a Urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes...."

Front Projection Home Theater since 1979.

Click here to see my Home Theater "Corvette Cinema"
post #5139 of 9631 Old 12-21-2008, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi,
On Monday, please contact Velodyne service at (408) 465-2851 or service@velodyne.com.
Thanks,
post #5140 of 9631 Old 12-21-2008, 06:41 PM

I have a DPS-10 that has worked great for about 2 years. After turning it on today, it puts out no sound. The blue lights on the front are on, the amp sounds like it turns on when I power the sub on with the switch in the back, but no sound. Is there a way I can test it to make sure its not my reciever, which I believe works fine because all of my other channels and speakers work fine. How hard is this to replace, fix, disasemble. Should I start looking for a new sub because I really like this one! Thanks for anyones suggestions and advice!
post #5141 of 9631 Old 12-21-2008, 06:44 PM

I have a DPS-10 that has worked great for about 2 years. After turning it on today, it puts out no sound. The blue lights on the front are on, the amp sounds like it turns on when I power the sub on with the switch in the back, but no sound. Is there a way I can test it to make sure its not my reciever, which I believe works fine because all of my other channels and speakers work fine. How hard is this to replace, fix, disasemble. Should I start looking for a new sub because I really like this one! Thanks for anyones suggestions and advice!
post #5142 of 9631 Old 12-21-2008, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,
A quick trouble-shoot is to run the analog audio (rca) outputs of your DVD or CD player directly into the input jacks of the subwoofer and then play a CD or DVD. If it woofs, then it's the receiver. As always turn the subwoofer off when making or changing connections. If there is no sound then call Velodyne service at (408) 465-2851 or service@velodyne.com.
Thanks,
post #5143 of 9631 Old 12-23-2008, 09:12 AM

Hi

I am trying to upgrade my DD-15 to the latest software version but I am getting the error ‘’Error opening file “ ‘’ (or something like that).

I tried with a ‘normal’ serial port (old pc with Win XP) as well as with 2 different USB – Serial adapters as well as with about 10 cables i have in stock (i think that most of them are Mouse extension ones) and I am always getting the same message.

The same message I get even when trying to run the software without my sub connected (in old hardware configs).

Even if I am not using the right cable, is it normal to get this error message on all above mentioned cases?

Finally, if that’s the case, any ideas on where I can find a wire diagram of the correct mouse extension cable?

Thanks
post #5144 of 9631 Old 12-23-2008, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi,
The correct cable is a pin-for-pin or straight-thru cable. The modem cables reverse pins 2 and 3 and won't work. The proper cable is available at Radio Shack and some computer stores. I suspect you don't have the correct cable.
Thanks,
Curt (928) 958-4430
post #5145 of 9631 Old 12-24-2008, 10:13 AM

Hi Curt,

I had my DD12 setup by a pro installer when I bought it new Dec '05, but I'm in the mood to get more familiar with my least well-known component in my system.

I'm pretty sure I want to do the manual EQ, but what is the difference between the auto EQ and the self EQ? I think I saw you say in another post there are 3 types of EQ on the DD series.

Also, do you think two subs would benefit such a small and sealed room, creating a smoother frequency response and extra headroom? Since I have a DD12 now, I would assume another DD12 would be the sub to have if I chose to go with 2, but would two DD12's be overkill in that room?
post #5146 of 9631 Old 12-24-2008, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Cheers to another DD-12 user. In anything but LARGE rooms, it totally kicks!

At present, I'm trying to guesstimate when to sell it in order to replace it with a latest and greatest version....whenever THAT'S announced.
post #5147 of 9631 Old 12-24-2008, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie 1.8 View Post

Hi Curt,

I had my DD12 setup by a pro installer when I bought it new Dec '05, but I'm in the mood to get more familiar with my least well-known component in my system.

I'm pretty sure I want to do the manual EQ, but what is the difference between the auto EQ and the self EQ? I think I saw you say in another post there are 3 types of EQ on the DD series.

Also, do you think two subs would benefit such a small and sealed room, creating a smoother frequency response and extra headroom? Since I have a DD12 now, I would assume another DD12 would be the sub to have if I chose to go with 2, but would two DD12's be overkill in that room?

Hi,
The 'Self-eq' (3-2-1-on remote) has the signal sweep (15-200hz) internally sent directly to the subwoofer speaker, so the only connection required is the mic.
In order to do 'auto' or 'manual' eq, you need to run the two DD eq-out jacks of the DD into vacant analog input jacks of your receiver. Think of it as hooking up a CD player to your system. You also run the DD video output jack into your TV.
Now the signal sweep will play through both your front speakers (select stereo mode in receiver) and the subwoofer, and you will see the signal sweep on the TV. You can then select 'auto-eq' or do a 'manual-eq'. Some do 'auto-eq' first and then fine tune manually. You need to become familiar with the owner's manual and follow the instructions. If you add a second subwoofer, the best choice would be another DD-12. I will be available for phone calls on Jan. 5th.
Thanks,
post #5148 of 9631 Old 12-24-2008, 10:36 PM

Thanks for your reply, Curt. Your few sentences did a better job at explaining these 3 methods of EQing than the manual did. Can't believe I didn't include the volume of my room! 1,800 cu ft.

Yeah, I spent about 6 hours today really going through the manual and EQing, and I did both the auto and manual (incl parametric EQ). I'm very very limited with my sub placement - unless I pull out my stand and free my sub cable, I can't move it at all at this time.

I have 2 nasty valleys at 75 and 122-ish. Couldn't get it tighter than +/- 6 dB (crossover at 80db). I used every single variable available, and always tested the results immediately on the response graph. The best effort +/- 6dB is true for both auto and manual EQ. Guess my next step is to free up my sub cable to see where I could physically possibly position it, and then go from there. I may get better response with the sub at a location that is not my visual preference.

One thing I did first was to upgrade the firmware from 2.0 to 2.2.2. After EQing, my setup and preset 1 volume was 30. Put on a recorded HBO movie, and the sub was making a rumble like something was broken. Never heard that in 3 years. I am positive the sub volume was well matched to the satellite's volume, per the system response graph. Turned it down to about 20 with no real effect w/ the grumbling, and just turned off the sub. Later in the movie, this was seriously bothering me, so I turned the sub back on, and the loud 'grumbling', like wind in a microphone, was gone. Weird. Any such reported problems w/ 2.2.2?

After some objective listening to familiar material, and because for the last several months I felt my sub was too loud, I settled on sub vol 22. Only difference between preset 1 and preset 2 is p1 has a theater/music setting of 8 (max servo gain) for music, and p2 has a setting of 4 (relax the servo a bit for effects). What a great setting this is - love it!

Re: 2 DD12's in my 1,800 cu ft room, I would believe that giving my room proper acoustical treatment would do wonders for my frequency response from 15-200hZ, along with removing the 2 valleys.

Even though step 16 says I would normally not adjust the subsonic filter, I changed mine from 15 to 17 because the Velodyne spec sheet shows the DD12 has a low limit of 17Hz, and changing to 17Hz really helped flatten my low-end response on the graph. I would imagine that, just as I wouldn't want to send signals to my satellites lower than they can accurately reproduce, the same holds true for my sub. Is that true?

Can you point me to a source that documents the changes between 2.0 and 2.2.2? My manual is written for 2.0. I notice the online manual is written for 2.2.0. I'll check it out for differences.

Thank you,
Ron
post #5149 of 9631 Old 12-24-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theranman View Post

Cheers to another DD-12 user. In anything but LARGE rooms, it totally kicks!

At present, I'm trying to guesstimate when to sell it in order to replace it with a latest and greatest version....whenever THAT'S announced.

And cheers back to you, as well. Yes, I am very very happy with this component of my system, obviously an extremely high quality product.

Re: the latest and greatest, I saw a few pages back in this thread that Curt said the DD is the flagship state-of-the-art now, and in the future. You may be holding on to your DD for some time. Happy Holidays.
post #5150 of 9631 Old 12-25-2008, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

theranman -- As Ronnie 1.8 said, plan on keeping your DD-12 for a very long time. I have a ULD-15 (their original servo-sub, and the predecessor of the DD-15) that is 20 years old, and is still going strong.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #5151 of 9631 Old 12-25-2008, 08:06 AM

Merry Christmas everyone.....

Been watching a number of movies with my new Blu-ray player, and I'm wondering if I should get myself a new SW. I've got an SPL-1000 and am real happy with it; but don't know if I'm missing anything under 24Hz while watching movies.

Is it worth it to go for those few less Hz on the low end?

Total extended room volume is approx 2300 cubic feet. As I said I am happy with what I've got now, but am not sure what I may be missing....

Chris

Feelings of inferiority and superiority are the same - they both come from fear
post #5152 of 9631 Old 12-25-2008, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi,
Since humans don't hear much of anything below 30hz, I'm not sure what you're missing. However in the spirit of the season, I have no problem with you giving your son the SPL and purchasing the all new Optimum-12. It's a fantastic sub and we all can sure use the business.
Happy Holidays,
Curt@velodyne
post #5153 of 9631 Old 12-25-2008, 09:20 AM

Hi Curt - appreciate the response. As I said, I love the little SPL, but after reading some other threads elsewhere here, I wasn't sure what I was missing.

I asked my question here because I feel like I'm part of the Velodyne family, and figured I'd receive a straight answer here. I edited my orig post because I almost asked a reeeally stupid question, but thats probably due to too much spiked eggnog last night.

Anyways, next time I buy - it'll be a Velodyne.

Chris

Feelings of inferiority and superiority are the same - they both come from fear
post #5154 of 9631 Old 12-25-2008, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Reeally stupid questions should be sent as PM's, that way I have to keep them secret.
Besides, they're my favorite.
More eggnog!
Curt
post #5155 of 9631 Old 12-25-2008, 09:36 AM
wje
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Reeally stupid questions should be sent as PM's, that way I have to keep them secret.
Besides, they're my favorite.
More eggnog!
Curt

In that case, 80% of the posts here should be sent via PMs.
post #5156 of 9631 Old 12-25-2008, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

wje -- The only "stupid" ones are those that state: "I don't read manuals (instructions, etc.) . . ." .

A lot of the posts are due to lack of knowledge, or the writer being technologically challenged (or both).

Oops, I forgot to buy the eggnog.

Have a Happy Holiday!

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #5157 of 9631 Old 12-26-2008, 10:33 AM

Hello Velodyne fans, and specifically owners of the DD series, or the SMS-1. After owning a DD12 for three years, and because I have no $$$ to invest in any kind of system upgrade and I go through withdrawals if I'm not tinkering with my system in some manner, I decided to overcome my fear of jumping in to my DD12 and finally learn all the features, and how to set it up. I had a pro installer set it up 3 years ago, and remember that he did not use the included mic, but set it up by ear.

I don't recall what the response graph looked like upon initial install 3 years ago, but with some help from Curt on certain settings, and going through each step in the manual, I was able to get my DD12 response +/-2db from 25hz to 80hz (my crossover). Even though the DD12 goes to 17hz, setting the subsonic filter to 25hz gives it some headroom.

I also increased my avr's sub volume so that my DD12's setup volume is 14. I understand it's a good idea to keep the DD's volume in the teen's, and not exceed 20. If you find you need to exceed 20, increase the volume from your avr.

I think my favorite feature is the "theater/music" sonic gain control. I have one preset to favor music sources, and one to favor non-music sources. And of course I programmed my Harmony 880 to enter preset 1 or preset 2, depending on which of my 5 activities I enter.

Since for the time I'm still tinkering with the volume/gain control, I think I'm going to permanently connect an S-video from my DD12 to my avr, so I don't have to keep connecting/disconnecting the video cable.

I couldn't be happier with my results. I spent about 8 hours over 2 days, but I feel like I have a new subwoofer, as I feel great knowing I have such excellent results, and that I did it (vs paying someone) - thanks Curt for your help.

Happy holidays...

Ron
post #5158 of 9631 Old 12-26-2008, 01:38 PM

I removed all the screws and also the amplifier from the wood frame but I still can't get the sub speaker out! What did you guys use to seal it in? What am I supposed to do to get it out for repair?

It really annoys me when something is screwed in with a dozen screws then you find it's epoxied it into place. Overkill.

Help would be appreciated.
post #5159 of 9631 Old 12-26-2008, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,
Well considering all the years it's been in there, it will probably need a little help from a flat blade screwdriver working gently around the edge. With sealed box designs it is very important to avoid any air leaks. If that doesn't help, on Monday please contact Velodyne service at (408) 465-2851 or service@velodyne.com.
Thanks,
Curt
post #5160 of 9631 Old 12-26-2008, 05:49 PM

Curt,

I appreciate the response, but I can't even get a fine blade in there let alone a screwdriver. They must have put in some kind of sealant. I'm having it repaired soon for rotted foam so I want to take it out. I'll have to email them. I'll be surprised, though, if they support it. Its over 20 years old!

Thanks
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Velodyne Acoustics , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Wiconnect 10 Wireless Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 8 8 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 12 12 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer , Velodyne

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page