9Likes

post #631 of 9733 Old 09-04-2004, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by ss9001
Just got a new DD18 and am in process of connecting it to system. Is there a distance limitation to the audio cables used for the EQ feature? I'd like to install EQ setup cables permanently and the distance around the perimeter of room will be over 60 ft. I have high quality audio cables from Blue Jeans Cable and wall plate jacks installed just for the purpose of connecting in PC sound card outputs & inputs and other line levels sources. Patch cables would be used from wall plates to receiver front panel inputs. My best estimate of total distance will be 75 ft.

Will cable losses over that distance significantly effect the volume matching and EQ functions?

Thanks
ss9001

Hi ss,
You're fine. There will be no degradation of signal. Good luck with the setup!

Bruce

Bruce Hall
Velodyne Acoustics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 9733 Old 09-06-2004, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Juboy...What you posted, now removed, was marketing for Velodyne and not support. Please do not let this contiune. I know you work with Uncle Eric and he is a Velodye dealer. Marketing like that is not needed on the site.

Thank you.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #633 of 9733 Old 09-10-2004, 07:03 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Can someone point me to anywhere one can purchase the remote for the HGS-X line on-line? I can't find it, only the references in the docs and ads that the optional remote exits. Just trying to get a ballpark idea of it's cost for budgeting.

Thanks,
Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #634 of 9733 Old 09-10-2004, 07:15 AM

Check Audiogon.com

Life is a constant quest for information.
post #635 of 9733 Old 09-13-2004, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Scott,
You may purchase the remote direct from Velodyne. Price is $60. Call (408) 465-2851 when you're ready to order.
Thanks,
Curt
post #636 of 9733 Old 09-15-2004, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Hi Curt,

Will the DLS-R models be available in 240volts countries like Singapore? The DD models are a little over my budget. Seems like your dealer here only carries the DD models?

Thanks
Oliver
post #637 of 9733 Old 09-17-2004, 09:01 PM
vvv

Curt & or Bruce,

I have owned a DD-18 since March (Software version 1.2) and absolutely love it.

Until tonight, I considered it bullet proof.

I run a B&K AVR 317 Receiver all speakers crossed over at 80hz. The sub output going from the receiver to the DD-18 via a Cobalt sub woofer cable with a Cobalt Y-splitter.

I was watching a new release on DVD called The Girl Next Door. (Chapter 13 50:51 - 51:07)

During this passage in the film there is loud electronic background music with prominent drums and bass. The bass line has plenty of attack.

My receiver volume was set to -15.

My DD-18 volume was set to 31

I heard the woofer "pop" once or twice during this passage.

This alarms me because I have never been able to overload my DD-18.

I generally keep my sub at a 35 to 40 volume and my receiver at -15 or -20.

I commonly watch movies like Saving Private Ryan, Episode II, 5th Element, You name it. No problems. In fact....my DD-18 typically sounds great.

I tried turning the sub down. Below 30 no "pop" problems. Above 30 more of the same during that passage.

There were other low bass sound effects later in the movie that sounded fine. It was just this specific passage.

Could this issue be program specific? This seems strange because if it was program specific, I should hear the "pop" when I turn the sub down.

On the other hand, I feel like my sub would sound bad all the time on all program material if there was a real problem.

Please advise ASAP as I am very concerned.
post #638 of 9733 Old 09-17-2004, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Talk about being hyper.... Take a Valium and relax.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #639 of 9733 Old 09-18-2004, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

"Please advise ASAP as I am very concerned." [/b][/quote] "

Hi,
I have not seen "The Girl next Door" so I'm not sure if there's a problem with the DVD, or not.
Try this; turn up the volume in the B&K (sub out) to -5 or even 0 and then back off on the Velodyne's volume accordingly and see if it plays that passage without the pop. I'm currently running my DD-12's volume at 12 in a fairly small room and have never had an issue with any source. A -15 is quite low for the subwoofer channel and that may be an issue.
Let me know if this cures the problem.
Thanks,
Curt
post #640 of 9733 Old 09-18-2004, 06:05 PM

Hello Curt and members

I would like to know if you are running two subs in this case a f1500 and a soon to be purchased dd18. The processor has stereo sub outs (citation 5.0). How does one determine which of the two will be the dominant one or how can one maximise the better sub dd18 to get the most of it. But still running the f1500 to smooth out freq. or just fill in the gaps in the room.?

Any advice appreciated. L,C,R, (large) LS,LB,RS,RB (small)

Thanks

Home Theatre Experience.........thats whats its all about!

Dont tell me it cant be done...there is ALWAYS a way.
post #641 of 9733 Old 09-18-2004, 09:19 PM

Mr. Curt C

My HGS-15 has been experiencing volume creep' since it was new. I would have to reset the level every month. For 75dB the volume control could never be turned up over 1 and the Lexicon processor sub gain was set at -10dB (it's lowest). Then the unit started intermittent static with an intermittent 20 Hz note. After switching it off, I disconnected all inputs to the sub to make sure there was no ground loop. When I switched the unit back on, it immediately went to full volume and the amp was clipping. It sounded like a machine gun going off in the room. Things in the kitchen fell off the wall.

My son-in-law also has a Velodyne and last year his did the same thing. The amp had to be replaced.

What's up?

Ronald
post #642 of 9733 Old 09-19-2004, 12:21 AM
vvv

Curt,

Thanks for the quick reply.

The Sub Output was and is currently set to -5 db on the B&K.

The receiver volume was -15 at the time of the pop.

The pop occurred when the DD-18 volume was 30 or higher not -30. Sorry for the type-o in the last e-mail.

My listening room is about 3,000 cubic feet however the connecting rooms bring the total to about 6,400 cubic feet.

As the movie was a rental, I will try and listen to other bass heavy CDs and DVDs and report back. I figure if there is a problem with the sub, it would be evident on other material.

Any further advice would be appreciated.

I will keep you posted.
post #643 of 9733 Old 09-19-2004, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone have a pronto file (ccf or pcf) with working DD series IR codes? I am having a heck of a time getting the pronto to learn the codes from the DD remote correctly.

Went to remotecentral and no luck there...

Curt, does Velodyne by chance have a .ccf file that they distribute to users the way some vendors do?

Thanks
John
post #644 of 9733 Old 09-19-2004, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

"Any further advice would be appreciated."

Hi Again,
I would set the B&K subout level to +5 and back off on the DD volume. You do indeed have a very large area counting the open space.
Curt
post #645 of 9733 Old 09-19-2004, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

"Curt, does Velodyne by chance have a .ccf file that they distribute to users the way some vendors do?"

Hi,
We're currently looking into it, and should have an answer soon.
Curt
post #646 of 9733 Old 09-19-2004, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote]Originally posted by benthx
[b]Hello Curt and members

"I would like to know if you are running two subs in this case a f1500 and a soon to be purchased dd18. The processor has stereo sub outs (citation 5.0). How does one determine which of the two will be the dominant one or how can one maximise the better sub dd18 to get the most of it. But still running the f1500 to smooth out freq. or just fill in the gaps in the room.?

Any advice appreciated. L,C,R, (large) LS,LB,RS,RB (small)"

Hi,
I would advise trying the DD-18 alone. I would also suggest calling all of your speakers "small" unless they have some really large woofers in them. Multiple drivers playing the same frequency can often be a real problem. If you choose to use both subwoofers, the DD-18 is the dominant unit. The F-1500 could be hooked up to your processor via a "Y" splitter or fed from the DD-18. You would have the F-1500 playing while you EQ'd the DD-18. The two subs are of different vintage and size so you would need to try and see if you could achieve a good blend or fill. Two or more subs (usually the same model) can be used to increase volume and go a bit deeper but you must make sure they are working in concert with one another and not nulling each other. There's no magic answer, it's usually the result of trial and error. Feel free to call me direct at; (480) 595-7141 if you'd like to discuss this more.
Thanks,
Curt
post #647 of 9733 Old 09-19-2004, 08:38 PM
vvv

Curt,

I will try your suggestions and let you know.

Just to clarify....

If I change my Receiver Sub Output From - 5db to +5db, should I change my DD-18 from 35 to 25?

Do the changes need to have a relationship?

Given my large space, do you have any advice regarding max listening volume of the receiver and or sub? Do I have to worry about overdriving the DD-18 given my set-up?

(FYI 150wpc * 7. NHT 2.5i towers for front and sides NHT 1.5 book shelfs for rears. NHT AC1 center channel. All bass under 80Hz going to the DD-18)

Before I got your reply, I listened to several bass heavy passages via CD loudly to see if the sub would duplicate the pop. My ears gave up way before I could achieve any negative effect. The bass did tend to get a bit muddier (Of course I was 12 inches from the sub)

Given what you know so far, should I presume that the previous pops during "The Girl Next Door" did not damage the DD-18?
post #648 of 9733 Old 09-19-2004, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,
Increase the output on the B&K as I suggested. Use your ear to determine how much to back off on the Velodyne. The changes do not have to be related numerically. I'm just having you provide more input to the DD-18 so the Sub isn't working as hard. This is the best way to maximize the DD's output. Under these conditions is the "pop" still there?
It is unlikely any damage has been done to the DD-18.
Curt
post #649 of 9733 Old 09-20-2004, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by curt c
"Curt, does Velodyne by chance have a .ccf file that they distribute to users the way some vendors do?"

Hi,
We're currently looking into it, and should have an answer soon.
Curt

Great. Looking forward to it. Will this project include discreet on/off IR codes as well?

John
post #650 of 9733 Old 09-20-2004, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

John,
Yes it will.
Curt
post #651 of 9733 Old 09-20-2004, 06:56 PM
hjw
Advanced Member

Folks at Velodyne,

Last night when I turned on my FSR-15, I got the popping sound, and no output, that I experienced last month. I posted on this thread at the time, and received a reply from D. Saint.

I tried unplugging the Sub for a while, then tried turning it on again. At one point, the sub just continued to make popping sounds every few seconds. At that point I unplugged it again and tried it about a half hour later. It then worked fine. I decided to check our supply voltage, and found that we were at 114 volts. I don't know if the voltage was lower when I was actually experiencing the problem. This morning, our voltage was at 118.

Could low voltage be the cause of my problem? Would you suggest I try a UPS for the Sub, and if so how many VA? Or is my FSR-15 in need of servicing? How would you suggest I proceed? Thanks.
post #652 of 9733 Old 09-20-2004, 10:33 PM

HJW,

The other day I was experiencing a popping sound on my sub too. It turns out it did not have anything to do with my sub.

I have two Velodyne subs, a VA-1210 I purchased in 1997, and a Series 2 HGS-18 I purchased last year. Both have worked flawlessly until the other night when I heard a popping sound from my VA-1210. I have it positioned near my seating position with an end table nearby.

It turns out I had my cell phone on the end table near that sub and whenever the phone would communicate with my service there would be a random popping sound from my sub. I had tried different outputs from my pre/pro, plugging my sub into my voltage stabilizer using an extension cord. All to no avail. My cell phone is from Nextel with the paging, push to talk, and phone all in one. When ever I put it near speakers, popping sounds occur, but I didn't think about that laying it on my end table.

Not saying that this is your problem, but something to think about. I was ready to post on this forum, buy parts for it, or even have it shipped to Velodyne for repair.

Good Luck,

Dan

I want to be SHAKEN not stirred!!
post #653 of 9733 Old 09-21-2004, 09:47 AM

hi. i just recently bought the DD-12 and would like to confirm that in order to bypass the internal crossover, the crossover needs to be set to 199Hz? there is no "off" setting? in this scenario, is the crossover completely off and eliminate multiple crossovers with a surround processor?
also looking forward to a .ccf. maybe .mxd as well (MX-700)?
post #654 of 9733 Old 09-21-2004, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

The crossover bypass is 199. At this setting, it will have no effect on lower crossover points. In a future software update we will provide a crossover bypass position.
Thanks,
Curt
post #655 of 9733 Old 09-22-2004, 10:28 AM

I've just purchased a Velodyne DD15 and installed it with cables "daisy chaining" with my original HGS 15.

How necessary is it that I measure and set the individual sub volume levels?

If it is necessary how do I generate a tone and measure the volume output from the two subs separately?

Darryl
post #656 of 9733 Old 09-22-2004, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi,
Ideally you would want the level of the two subs to be about the same at listening position. I do this by ear, listening to just one sub and then the other. When EQing you would have both subs and your two mains playing. Try to get a nice balance both in level and frequency response. Obviously you can only EQ the DD, but you do need both subs playing while EQing. If both subs are on the front wall or front corners this is usually fairly easy, in other locations it may take more time to get it right. If you have the option, experiment with location of the subs to get the flattest response before starting the EQ.
Curt
post #657 of 9733 Old 09-22-2004, 11:23 AM

Thanks Curt

A few questions please:

How do I get one sub playing at a time with the daisy chain wiring?

Will the second sub still work when the primary sub is switched off?

As I don't really trust my hearing if I I'm able to switch one of then off can I not use a meter?

Why keep the mains on?

Darryl
post #658 of 9733 Old 09-22-2004, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Darryl,
1)You could use the "mute" button on the DD. There is also a "mute" on your HGS remote.
2)Yes, the HGS will work with the DD turned off.
3)Yes, a SPL meter is fine.
4)When setting sub levels (for balance) you would not need your mains on.
When you start the EQ process, you want the mains playing to achieve a nice integration between the sub and mains.
On your installation raising the volume on the DD will not raise the volume of the HGS. Once setup is complete, you might want to raise or lower subwoofer level (both units) by utilizing the subwoofer volume control in your receiver or processor. That would increase or decrease both units together.
Curt
post #659 of 9733 Old 09-22-2004, 01:31 PM

Excellent, detailed and wonderfully comprehensive reply Curt.
Outstanding!!

Thank you very much.

Regards

Darryl
post #660 of 9733 Old 09-22-2004, 03:07 PM

Curt,

How am I going to generate a signal to the Mains at the same time as the same signal to the Velodynes?

Darryl
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Velodyne Acoustics , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Wiconnect 10 Wireless Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 8 8 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 12 12 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer , Velodyne

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page